The Student Room Group

Could I get into LSE/Oxbridge Law with these grades?

Hi!
I just wanted to know if I really have a chance of getting in one of these universities with my current GCSE grades (I'm about to start A-Levels and am aiming for 2A* and 2A)
I got: 9,8,8,7,7,7,6,5
I understand that both those universities have some weighting on GCSEs and I'm not sure if I fit the bill for an ideal candidate.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by axioduck
Hi!
I just wanted to know if I really have a chance of getting in one of these universities with my current GCSE grades (I'm about to start A-Levels and am aiming for 2A* and 2A)
I understand that both those universities have some weighting on GCSEs and I'm not sure if I fit the bill for an ideal candidate.

Despite your GCSE grades being good, I believe they are a bit on the low side for Oxford isn't that so @Oxford Mum?
Hi!

You should be okay, I mean GCSEs might be a little on the low side for a successful Oxbridge candidate however you could still work hard on the A levels and entrance test because they look at a variety of different factors.
Original post by JMR2020.
You should be okay, I mean GCSEs might be a little on the low side for a successful Oxbridge candidate however you could still work hard on the A levels and entrance test because they look at a variety of different factors.

Oxford are strict on GCSEs actually so I think OP would have more luck with other unis but Oxford Mum has the statistics on it
Original post by harrysbar
Oxford are strict on GCSEs actually so I think OP would have more luck with other unis but Oxford Mum has the statistics on it

Perhaps, but even so I would not discourage OP from applying, after all there are five choices.
Original post by JMR2020.
Perhaps, but even so I would not discourage OP from applying, after all there are five choices.

But it's good to know the statistics about what GCSEs successful Law Oxford applicants normally have so OP is made aware that her odds are low ....although she may be prepared to take that risk. That's why I asked OM to comment which I'm sure she will later
But it's good to know the statistics about what GCSEs successful Law Oxford applicants normally have so OP is made aware that her odds are low ....although she may be prepared to take that risk. That's why I asked OM to comment which I'm sure she will later

Yep of course
Reply 7

What about Cambridge/LSE or Kings?
What about Cambridge/LSE or Kings?

Cambridge is a better bet as they don't put as much strore by GCSE results. The information about GCSEs is all on the uni websites so I would take a look at a few unis that interest you. For example, this is what LSE say:

"All applicants are expected to have at least grade B/grade 6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics or the equivalent, although exceptions are made for applicants with extenuating circumstances.

As competition for places at LSE is intense, we look for applicants who have achieved highly at GCSE (multiple A or A* grades), particularly within the context of their school."
The average Oxford law applicant has 5.2 8/9s.

The average successful oxford law applicant has 8 or 9 8/9s

So I would not recommend Oxford law to op.

Try Cambridge rather, as they do not place as much emphasis on GCSEs. However you would need excellent a level grades.
Reply 10
Original post by Oxford Mum
The average Oxford law applicant has 5.2 8/9s.

The average successful oxford law applicant has 8 or 9 8/9s

So I would not recommend Oxford law to op.

Try Cambridge rather, as they do not place as much emphasis on GCSEs. However you would need excellent a level grades.

I'm planning on taking the subjects that gave me 6/5 again since I know I could've gotten an 8/9 for both those subjects in the real thing. Thus it should make my grades 9,8,8,8,8,7,7,7
will 9s be considered the same as 8s for the class of 2020 as there was mass grade inflation across the country. i received only 5 9s 3 8s and a 7 and Im very concerned regarding the grades i received within the context of my school as it is very high achieving and ranks top10 in the UK and as a result i was lower ranked than i would have been elsewhere resulting in lower grades. Do i have a realistic chance if i apply for oxford law with my gcses ?
I'm planning on taking the subjects that gave me 6/5 again since I know I could've gotten an 8/9 for both those subjects in the real thing. Thus it should make my grades 9,8,8,8,8,7,7,7

If you're particularly set on Oxford, then go for it. You will have to score very well on the LNAT though. Otherwise, Fenland might be an option.

I would not retake GCSEs (that already meet entry requirements) because of the risk to your A levels (unless they match A level subjects). I'd recommend that you ask an Oxford Admissions Tutor - I don't believe that your GCSE grades would stop a very good LNAT score from getting you an interview / offer. Good luck.
Reply 13
Original post by RogerOxon
If you're particularly set on Oxford, then go for it. You will have to score very well on the LNAT though. Otherwise, Fenland might be an option.

I would not retake GCSEs (that already meet entry requirements) because of the risk to your A levels (unless they match A level subjects). I'd recommend that you ask an Oxford Admissions Tutor - I don't believe that your GCSE grades would stop a very good LNAT score from getting you an interview / offer. Good luck.

I wouldn't mind going to Cambridge either, but I'd rather know if this would be a barrier to me going to LSE Law
I don't know anything about LSE, but I know Oxford has serious stress on GCSE grades. If you want to go for Oxbridge, maybe consider Cambridge instead, as I think they are less focused on GCSEs.
I think the average set for applicants (according to my University Councillor and Headmaster) for Oxford is 8 A*s, which are 8s or 9s. However, if you produce an excellent set of A-level results/predictions, that might shift the delta in your favour.
Not sure about LSE though, does it say on their site?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending