jae jae
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How do you get 9s in:

- History (Germany & Norman England)
- English language & literature (I do a taste of honey, sign of four, much ado about nothing, poetry love and relationships )
- Re (Christianity & Judaism)
- Food technology

All exam boards are Aqa😃
turkeydinosaur16
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by jae jae)
How do you get 9s in:

- History (Germany & Norman England)
- English language & literature (I do a taste of honey, sign of four, much ado about nothing, poetry love and relationships )
- Re (Christianity & Judaism)
- Food technology

All exam boards are Aqa😃
I only did English out of your subjects and the only text I have in common with you is poetry so I'm not a lot of help but I got 9s in language and literature. My exam board was edexcel but I don't think that makes a lot of difference in how I revised. I hope I don't forget anything but this is what I remember doing:

- practice extra exam questions: I'd say about 2-3 months before my exam I realised I hadn't really looked over all the texts recently except Shakespeare which we did last. I remember having a go at writing an essay and getting feedback that I wasn't answering in the right way (more of a language answer than a literature essay) and my points weren't the best. I overcame this through watching lots of different youtube videos and reading lots of different online resources as well as my own previous notes to find/ remember some more 'interesting'/ obscure points that I could write about. Obviously you can't answer every possible question but try to cover all the main themes if you can. I was that annoying person who kept asking for extra marking and doing extra work towards the end but it works. Practice questions are always the best way to revise

- Write your English language creative writing essay in advance (I presume you do one of these in AQA): so this ones doesn't always work and it does rely on a bit of luck but if you write a really good creative piece and score top marks on it then I'd suggest remembering it if you can or at least parts of it. Then if its applicable in the exam, you can use parts of it which you already know are good. You've gotta be careful with this one though because if you don't adapt your story enough you could lose lots of marks for missing the purpose of the piece in the question. I made that mistake in a mock and it cost me 2 grades so this tip might not be the best

- Plan theme essays: particularly for poetry and Shakespeare because lets be honest they're the hardest to grasp. Try to plan essays are key themes where you've selected out quotes for each paragraph along with matching context and analysis. I can't emphasise enough how useful this was for Shakespeare - I did Macbeth and I memorised about 10 plans which I could then almost regurgitate in the exam. Again, make sure you read the question and are answering it

- Memorise lots of quotes: I went a bit overboard on this but I really boosts your confidence going into the exam knowing you've got a wide selection of quotes to choose from. To decide what I was going to remember, I went through each book/ play and picked out quotes that I thought were important and that I could write something interesting about. For Shakespeare, I probably revised less quotes than the other texts as I wanted to fully understand the ones I had written down. The way I revised the quotes once I selected them was to make loads of revision cards. I'd have the quote on one side of the card and a picture which related to the quote on the other e.g for "fair is foul and foul is fair" I had a picture of good and bad weather with swap arrows on if that makes sense. It was very time consuming but it helped a lot. For poetry, I didn't really use this technique more chant the poem until most of the lines were ingrained in my brain.

- research extra context and write it down: I often found I didn't have enough contextual points to write in essays that linked to my point. Again I used websites and youtube videos to pick up any extra details that I could include. The important thing to remember about context is that it doesn't have to be a huge, significant detail linked to the author or a particular event in time. Good things to research around is the type of society at the time of the writer/ audience. The monarchy and politics are good places to start too.

Sorry. this is really long. hope it helps
skahjs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Before quarantine- in my spring and winter mocks- I got full marks in all my history papers (including Germany) so I hope this helps:
* be very specific- this can be by including context when describing events/ features, simply by adding adjectives that apply well or just copying phrases from textbooks if your memory is good. An easy way to always have detailed knowledge of everything is by reading several revision books, or any information on the topic including what your teacher gives you.
* Put the detailed info on a page and make sure that page is regarding one topic. Make sure there's a variety of information regarding the topic whilst staying focussed on it. Do that for each topic e.g. the Reichstag fire.
* read over it and test your knowledge with someone else

Idk about aqa's exam technique as I did edexcel.

Then there's obvious things like annotating sources. Something I dont see many people do is paraphrase the source- annotate it with a simpler description of what it implies if the source's phrasing confuses you.
Good luck with your gcses
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (97)
28.36%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.87%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.01%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (35)
10.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.53%

Watched Threads