Fear of Motorways

Watch
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Anybody ever been driving or sitting in the passenger seat and when you enter a motorway (especially one with a huge intimidating expanse in front of you) you become overcome with fear and want to get out of the car? I'm usually uneasy when I'm about to head onto a huge motorway, especially when the sun is blaring-it feels so frightening sometimes and I'm not sure where that discomfort comes from.
perplexed turtle
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by JDINCINERATOR)
Anybody ever been driving or sitting in the passenger seat and when you enter a motorway (especially one with a huge intimidating expanse in front of you) you become overcome with fear and want to get out of the car? I'm usually uneasy when I'm about to head onto a huge motorway, especially when the sun is blaring-it feels so frightening sometimes and I'm not sure where that discomfort comes from.
just close your eyes if you are the passenger. it helps if you are feeling car sick and uneasy
JDINCINERATOR
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by perplexed turtle)
just close your eyes if you are the passenger. it helps if you are feeling car sick and uneasy
Thanks for the advice-I only bring this topic up because a dream I had last night reminded me of my unease on motorways.
perplexed turtle
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for the advice-I only bring this topic up because a dream I had last night reminded me of my unease on motorways.
its okay, everyone is uneasy around something
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Anybody ever been driving or sitting in the passenger seat and when you enter a motorway
My passengers often feel that way when I floor it to merge with the traffic, without having to turn my head. It'd be rude not to.

You should have a healthy respect for the speeds and stopping distances on motorways. However, they are the safest roads per mile traveled, so please try to keep it in perspective.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It's important to have a healthy respect for high speeds used on motorways, don't be a cocky pratt but also don't be sheepish about it.

Motorways are statistically the safest type of road out there, they're to a better standard than an A road and a bit more consistent - long, straight roads as opposed to a stretch of dual carriageway at 40 mph then a windy single carriageway at NSL.

It's perfectly natural to be nervous if you aren't experienced.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (163)
14.5%
I'm not sure (51)
4.54%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (330)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (34)
3.02%
I'm not a current university student (546)
48.58%

Watched Threads