Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It was my 18th Birthday on Dec 18th (last sat) and I'm trying to beg my parents for an IPOD / IPOD MINI...can someone please tell me the pros / cons of the 2 to help me decide on which one to get?? or if i should get another sort of mp3 player?? thx.

ReputationRep:
    i dont know much, but im getting a mini one
    mini ipods are smaller, cheaper and pink :-)
    ipods can store more songs, so I guess it depends how many songs you will want on it.

ReputationRep:
    hard to tell.

if you have lots of music, then a mini may not hold enough. if you dont, then its probably the better choice

ReputationRep:
    The ipod mini isn't even massively smaller than the ipod.

It can hold just over 100 albums. Thats useless. You might as well get a 512mb player as it would be alot smaller and you would still have to change your music all the time.

If you have the choice (ie money isn't a problem) go for the ipod as its not massively bigger and is likely to be able to hold all of your music you will have for the forseeable future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    and is likely to be able to hold all of your music you will have for the forseeable future
    i wish that statement was true

i filled my 20gb, my dads filled his 40gb. NEEEEEEED MOOOORRRRREEE SPPPPPAAAACCCCEEEE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i wish that statement was true

i filled my 20gb, my dads filled his 40gb. NEEEEEEED MOOOORRRRREEE SPPPPPAAAACCCCEEEE!
    Same here. I currently have a month of music. Its a bit annoying as it means i have to change the music on m ipod periodically.

But i can't afford a 40gb one so it will have to make do.

However i'm guesing the author doesn't have this problem as they are contemplating getting an ipod mini.

ReputationRep:
    iPODs are overpriced because everyone wants one. There not very good though both the iPOD mini and normal iPOD have a battery life of no more than 5 hours.

There are alternatives that are cheaper, easier to use, have better battery life, and just better overall.

Par Exemple, You could get a 4Gb iPOD mini and have a battery life of 4/5 hours. Or you could buy a 40Gb Creative Zen Touch with a battery life of a good 10 hours +

ReputationRep:
    Don't get either and get the sony version, it kicks ass.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...647913-4245207

ReputationRep:
    Those Sonys look pretty good. Not as pricey as the iPODs, what are the batterys like?

Zen Touch 20Gb (£170), admit it, the touch pad is cool (once you get used to it).

As for sound quality if you bought anything but an iPOD you'd have atleast £20 to spend on some decent headphones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    iPODs are overpriced because everyone wants one. There not very good though both the iPOD mini and normal iPOD have a battery life of no more than 5 hours.

There are alternatives that are cheaper, easier to use, have better battery life, and just better overall.

Par Exemple, You could get a 4Gb iPOD mini and have a battery life of 4/5 hours. Or you could buy a 40Gb Creative Zen Touch with a battery life of a good 10 hours +
    Eh? They fixed that problem with the 4G. Ipod battery is now rated at ~12 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Cowon M3L, 20gb 35 hours battery life, no software required to install. Also availabe in 40gb but not with 35 hours battery.

The Sony doesn't even play MP3's; you have to convert them to ATRAC (Seems like you have to pay £15 for it to play MP3's See here ). Hardly a good MP3 player :rolleyes: It doesn't even come with a remote.

ReputationRep:
    Got a Sony NWHD1 for xmas definately recommend it, 20GB - will cost between £200 and £250 - smaller than an IPOD, plus looks much sexier ...battrey life is meant to be ~30hours.
    Converting files to ATRAC takes a matter of seconds.

ReputationRep:
    iPod mini :cool:

I wish tho Will have to save up for one at this stage, bit broke from all the pressie purchasing.

ReputationRep:
    iPod - it's still tiny (I guess) and now it stores photos etc.

ReputationRep:
    ipods are fantastic, but wait until after Jan 11 to buy.

Apple have a 'keynote' presentation where they announce new products and updates on Jan 11.

Rumor has it that the mini will be updated (it's way overdue for an update) and may get more GB storage, so if you can, definitely wait till after the presentation. Personally, I think the minis are overpriced for the storage they offer, so Apple will probably improve on this in the update.

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.