Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Can you tell me when I should apply for a transfer into a second year after I finish first year at my current uni? The deadlines and everything? Can you help me with those? Thank you!
biochemical.ucl
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Check the programme details very carefully. Many degrees have unique modules that require the student to have completed others first, this is critical in subjects in engineering, so if you've done part of a degree in one university you may not have studied the same things in the same order. I've worked at UCL for 13 years and I've not come across undergraduate transfers in or out. I generally advise people look at an MSc or MA course after graduating from a 3-year degree, because they're structured to allow for people coming from different backgrounds with completely different degrees. It means you'd have a UCL degree and you'd be a post-grad too. Hope that helps.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by biochemical.ucl)
Check the programme details very carefully. Many degrees have unique modules that require the student to have completed others first, this is critical in subjects in engineering, so if you've done part of a degree in one university you may not have studied the same things in the same order. I've worked at UCL for 13 years and I've not come across undergraduate transfers in or out. I generally advise people look at an MSc or MA course after graduating from a 3-year degree, because they're structured to allow for people coming from different backgrounds with completely different degrees. It means you'd have a UCL degree and you'd be a post-grad too. Hope that helps.
Thank you for your reply however I have heard of students transferring from KCL and other Universities to UCL. I know someone who transferred from Manchester (was initially studying material sciences) to UCL (Economics) on the second term
biochemical.ucl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for your reply however I have heard of students transferring from KCL and other Universities to UCL. I know someone who transferred from Manchester (was initially studying material sciences) to UCL (Economics) on the second term
Okay, great - I've mostly worked in engineering and the programme's structures are unique to UCL. If you're sure the modules are compatible then get in touch with the department directly in the first instance. Good luck!
Anonymous #1
Okay, great - I've mostly worked in engineering and the programme's structures are unique to UCL. If you're sure the modules are compatible then get in touch with the department directly in the first instance. Good luck!
Thank you! And i would like to transfer for Physics. Do you think Physics is unique too?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hey just wanted to quickly say something.

I don’t think you should go to a uni with the intent of transferring to another. As the person above said, there is a chance that you won’t be able to transfer to UCL because of strict ghide lines, you may not meet their requirements, or the course itself may be full and they cannot accept anymore students. Especially this year, with having no cap on spaces, it seems very unlikely that they’d have space for a few more students. That means you’d be stuck at a uni that you had no intent of studying at for 3/4 more years, however long your course is...

All that negative stuff aside. You've seen others transfer into UCL from King’s and Manchester, which gives you hope! I’d definitely call into their undergraduate admissions team, their number is on their website.
I’d suggest you call them ASAP as it’s best for you to know before you go into uni in September. If they say you can’t transfer, what will be your next plan? You need to think about that before deciding your future.

P.S: you always have next year to apply to UCL! You could think about the possibility of doing that
biochemical.ucl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey just wanted to quickly say something.

I don’t think you should go to a uni with the intent of transferring to another. As the person above said, there is a chance that you won’t be able to transfer to UCL because of strict ghide lines, you may not meet their requirements, or the course itself may be full and they cannot accept anymore students. Especially this year, with having no cap on spaces, it seems very unlikely that they’d have space for a few more students. That means you’d be stuck at a uni that you had no intent of studying at for 3/4 more years, however long your course is...

All that negative stuff aside. You've seen others transfer into UCL from King’s and Manchester, which gives you hope! I’d definitely call into their undergraduate admissions team, their number is on their website.
I’d suggest you call them ASAP as it’s best for you to know before you go into uni in September. If they say you can’t transfer, what will be your next plan? You need to think about that before deciding your future.

P.S: you always have next year to apply to UCL! You could think about the possibility of doing that
This is great advice, and just to give you the heads-up, the central admissions team at UCL is under immense pressure right now, as at most popular unis in the country. You may get a quicker response if you contact departments directly.
Anonymous #1
This is great advice, and just to give you the heads-up, the central admissions team at UCL is under immense pressure right now, as at most popular unis in the country. You may get a quicker response if you contact departments directly.
Can you give me the email of the Physics department? Thank you
biochemical.ucl
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sure, here's their contact page

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/physics-astron...e/key-contacts

and the email for UG queries is [email protected]
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Can you give me the email of the Physics department? Thank you
You can Google it by searching up UCL Physics department.

[email protected] This is the email for the Physics admissions tutor

[email protected] This is for the head of the department.

[email protected] Deputy head.

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/physics-astron...e/key-contacts This is their website where I got all of these contacts from.

+44 20 3370 1215 This is their admissions team number. I’d suggest emailing and calling them at the same time, their line will be busy, but it’ll only take 40mins max to get in, and you’d be able to get a response, or be redirected to the department in a few minutes!
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Is it possible to apply in the new UCAS cycle for the same course in a different university despite enrolling for it this year?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Is it possible to apply in the new UCAS cycle for the same course in a different university despite enrolling for it this year?
Sorry not entirely sure I understand the question, are you already in the course? If so, you’d have to email the department and the uni themselves to tell them that you’re thinking of going to a different uni before applying for it. They need to know what’s going on.

If you’ve been made an offer and have accepted it, you need to do the same thing as above, tell them what you’re planning on doing.
If you’re intending on not going to the uni that has given you a place, you need to email them telling them this and on UCAS decline the place. Then you’ll be able to apply on UCAS through the new cycle for next year. Have you told your school/sixth form that you’re doing this too? I’d suggest doing that so they can help you with your UCAS application

Hope that helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.74%
I'm not sure (2)
1.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (39)
31.45%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.42%
I'm not a current university student (58)
46.77%

Watched Threads