The Student Room Group

GCHQ - What does a career in cyber security look like? Q&A

At GCHQ you can have a varied and rewarding career working for an organisation that keeps Britain safe.

ATS
Early Careers section of the website
GCHQ - Careers page

Readers may be interested to know that applications are now open for our Cyberfirst Degree Apprenticeship Scheme, to begin in September 2021.

Based in Cheltenham, Manchester and Scarborough, you’ll be working for GCHQ; the UK’s largest intelligence agency and a leading organisation in the Cyber Security Field. With plenty of support and mentoring, you’ll help protect our digital world, pick up practical skills as you go, and get a lifelong career off to a flying start.

Alongside your work, you’ll spend three years studying towards a recognised degree in Cyber Security, cementing the work you’re doing from day-to-day.

If you successfully complete your Degree Apprenticeship, and depending on our business needs, there’s a good chance we’ll offer you full-time employment with GCHQ or the NCSC.

You can find out more by visiting the CyberFirst landing page

Please post any questions that you have on this thread:h:

*THREAD NOW CLOSED FOR RESPONSES FROM CYBER FIRST AND GCHQ*

Scroll to see replies

Hi my name is Jo and I joined GCHQ in 2016 and I now work as an apprentice software engineer. I joined because the work fascinated me and I wanted a job that helps keep people safe and protects the country for me the wider mission was key. Being able to learn and gain a degree at the same time as doing something so important was the icing on the cake. I found the recruitment process quite straightforward but it does take a while because of the vetting and security. Vetting feels different to the recruitment process for other jobs but that’s to be expected. Once you are here you understand why the security process takes time and why it’s so important the great thing is once you are here it’s actually a really open environment. Please feel free to ask me any questions. :smile:
Hi I am Nikki and I have worked at GCHQ in a variety of roles for many years. It has been an incredible experience and being part of something so important is extremely rewarding. GCHQ is a great employer, you get lost of perks working there and work life balance is something that is taken very seriously. I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have (within reason of course :smile:)
Reply 3
Hi,
I was wondering if candidates with a little cyber security experience is preferred for entry level roles such as the apprenticeship, or if you like to start with a fresh candidate so you can train them from the beginning up. I really admire GCHQ's mission :smile:
Original post by EMZX
Hi,
I was wondering if candidates with a little cyber security experience is preferred for entry level roles such as the apprenticeship, or if you like to start with a fresh candidate so you can train them from the beginning up. I really admire GCHQ's mission :smile:

Hi,
Thank you for your question and kind words. :colondollar: Our mission is always at the heart of everything we do.
We don't expect anyone to have any cyber security experience or knowledge as all training will be provided during the apprenticeship. We are looking for motivated individuals who have an aspiration for a career in CyberSecurity. You would be assessed on your aptitude to develop technical skills or understanding.
I hope this answers your question.
Thank you
Jo :excited:
Reply 5
Ooh!
Can degree apprentices get to all the workplaces they need to by public transport, or do they need a car?
Reply 7
Hi
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Joinedup
Can degree apprentices get to all the workplaces they need to by public transport, or do they need a car?

Hi there,
Public transport is widely used at the majority of our locations, a car will not be necessary on the apprentice scheme.
I hope that helps
Jo :smile:
Original post by Rodpods
Hi there,
I'm just in the process of applying for the "CYBERFIRST BURSARY SCHEME REF.2121" and was wondering if you could just clarify a few things for me. (If not are you able to put me in contact with someone who might be able to?)

I have always been fascinated by computing and technology but also that of human and investigative intelligence. I am looking to study international relations at university with a focus on intelligence/terrorism with the intention of applying to the IODP at MI5 after completion of my bachelors / and masters..

I realise this bursary comes with the "expectation" of staying within the realm of cybersecurity for a minimum of 3 years. Could this involve working with MI5 and SIS, e.g. on a grad / other scheme or do you try to keep us focused on cybersecurity specifically as opposed to intelligence and national security in general?

Likewise within the summer placement is there much choice between working/learning at other agencies / gov departments as apposed to other industries?
Hope you can help,
James

Thank you for your question James,

One of the primary functions of the Cyber First Bursary Scheme is to address the skills shortage in Cyber Security across the UK, we expect students to find a graduate role in Cyber Security. For the summer scheme the expectation is that the Bursary student, would apply for one of the summer scheme placements, GCHQ along with Industry host the scheme. I hope this answers your question.
Kind regards Sam
Are you running any graduate schemes this year? If so what level of experience is required?
Is it possible to apply for the London location as I’ve seen you’ve previously had the apprenticeship taken place in London
Hi James,

Thanks for the message, apologies for the delay in a response,

The role is based in Cheltenham for two years and in the final year you will be based at the location you have been recruited for, this is likely to be Cheltenham, however there may be opportunities in Scarborough and Manchester.

Kind regards Sam
Hi, i have just started my first year of A-Levels (Year 12). I would just like know whether your apprenticeship schemes are still running this year, or have they been cancelled? I would be hoping to apply late next year :smile:
Hi just wanted to know more about salary and career progression at GCHQ? I know you start on £18k as a cyber security analyst I think but I wondered what role you could be in and what you could be earning once you are qualified, and maybe 5 years after that?
Hi there,

I am planning to apply for the GCHQ Cyber Security Degree Apprenticeship however I wanted to gain more information before completing my application. I have a couple questions which I will list below -

- What is the social life / work life balance like and how does it compare to other jobs?
- Whilst going through the course what will be the type of information we will be exposed to?
- What will be some day to day challenges whilst going through the course?
- What are the pathways you can take after completing the course?
- What can I, as a Year 13 student that's studying IT, do additionally to help himself transition smoothly from his current subject into the GCHQ CS course?
- What type of work environment will we be put in whilst working for GCHQ? Who will we be working with? Will We have mentors?

If I have any further questions I will leave them here however that's it for now, thanks.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by _0liver11_
Hi just wanted to know more about salary and career progression at GCHQ? I know you start on £18k as a cyber security analyst I think but I wondered what role you could be in and what you could be earning once you are qualified, and maybe 5 years after that?

40k after 5-10 years
Hi,

There are two open roles which I would like to apply for. Are you allowed to have more than one job application at a time?

Can't praise GCHQ enough for their continued employment during this difficult time. It has been very reassuring to see a wide range of job roles on their site.

Thanks!
Reply 18
Hi,
I am in my second year of university. Do you offer any internships or sandwich/industrial placements; that will be available this year or next year? If yes, when do the applications open?

I look forward to receiving a response.
is it like CSI Cyber ? that is a brilliant show and i can imagine people like them working at GCHQ :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending