girlfriend has panic attacks

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i really don’t know where to ask this but my girlfriend sometimes has panic attacks and she said she has them because she is afraid of loosing me. we never argue and are in love
how can i help her when she’s having one,it’s usually over text when i’m not with her
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Your girlfriend should see a doctor.

First of all, symptoms that occur during a panic attack could also be symptoms of something else, eg, dizziness and racing heart could be low blood pressure. That way they can rule out any other conditions that could be affecting her. Second, she could get the relevant treatment or therapy, depending on what is affecting her.

Encourage her to get an appointment with her GP. Learn what you can from that to support her. In the meantime, if she phones during an attack, remind her to not wander around, to breathe deeply and slowly and that it will pass.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(I am not a psychologist, I am talking about my own experience)

Well, I have panic attacks and anxiety attacks and the best advice I can give you both is to go to therapy. Therapy is what really helped me to get better.

Communication is also the key. Maybe you could talk to her and ask her to express all her doubts and insecurities, have a deep talk about them. Ask her to tell you right away every time she has some intrusive or negative thoughts rather than accumulating them until she explodes and has an attack.

Also, it is completely normal that she (or you) has doubts and insecurities, even if everything is wonderful and you love each other. They are normal thoughts and emotions and it is important to address them. Hiding them and denying them will only make things worse. Tell her that it is okay to talk with you about them as soon as she has them. You can identify them together, look for the reason why she has them and then help her to let them go. It is not an easy task, especially at the beginning. You will probably get very frustrated, but it will all get better.

You have to keep in mind too, that crying and having panic attacks from time to time is not bad. Sometimes you need to cry and express your pain and grieve your feelings, and that is okay. Healing is not all about positiveness and happiness, it is also about crying and having bad days, so let her know that it is okay.

Also, she really should seek help. Mental health is very important and there is nothing wrong with going to the psychologist. My life and my relationship have improved so much after I started going to therapy.

I hope this can help!
Anonymous #1
thank you so much guys
i’m going to talk to her about it and suggest therapy (when she’s not panicking)
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
thank you so much guys
i’m going to talk to her about it and suggest therapy (when she’s not panicking)
You are very welcome. I hope everything gets better and don't stress too much about it, okay?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
You are very welcome. I hope everything gets better and don't stress too much about it, okay?
i wont,i just worry so much about her
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (641)
33.54%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.18%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads