The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shortguy
Congratulations you’ve done quite well! May I ask, with a ucat score that high why didn’t you apply to at least one GEM uni? I think you would have stood a fair chance at securing a interview for grad med

I did a lot of research using FOI and wanted to apply to where I was competitive.

1. Warwick - didn't meet the VR score...typically prefer high ucat with a first class or average ucat with a masters x
2. Birmingham - Use a point system, I only have a 2.1 degree and terrible GCSE/Alevels.
3. Barts - Prefer 1st class degree, or a super high UCAT >2900
4. Kings - Prefer 1sts combined with super high ucat >2900s
5. Southampton - Their ucat cut off last year was 2810, and the UCAT average had increase (I was right, the cut off is around 2940 this year)
6. Newcastle - I need >2900 ucat score (This year it was over 3000)
7. Sheffield - I am not for a widening participation background.

So I knew that Undergrad was the best chance I had x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Floshaye
I did a lot of research using FOI and wanted to apply to where I was competitive.

1. Warwick - didn't meet the VR score...typically prefer high ucat with a first, class or average ucat with a masters x
2. Birmingham - Use a point system, I only have a 2.1 degree and terrible GCSE/Alevels.
5. Southampton - Their ucat cut off last year was 2810, and the UCAT average had increase (I was right, the cut off is around 2940 this year)

Just shows how important research is! Really well done and best of luck with your interviews
Original post by Floshaye

1. Warwick - didn't meet the VR score...typically prefer high ucat with a first, class or average ucat with a masters x

Agh the good old, occasionally hard to find FOI. I had a great time looking through countless of them this summer for A100 courses as well. Seems like you played to your strengths. Great stuff 🙏🏾
Original post by Nickita
Updated with Warwick and Newcastle A100 interview invites. Not actually received an official rejection from Newcastle A101 but got two A100 interview invites from them and my UCAT was way below their cutoff so it will be a rejection.

I went to Newcastle for my bsc, and lived with medics all my time their. You’ll love it, good luck for your interview. It’s a fantastic uni
And city. I am applying second time round this year
Anyone heard from Leicester yet? interview or rejection?
Original post by dreamcometrue.dr
Anyone heard from Leicester yet? interview or rejection?

Still waiting. Scored 56.5. Apparently they are still going to give out interviews till end of feb. What’s your score?
Congrats on getting an offer from Keele!
Someone who I did my undergrad with is in her 4th year at Keele now, she’s loving the uni and the course :smile:
Yo
Applied: 30/09/2020
UCAT: 2570 Band 2
BMAT: hell naw
GAMSAT: bruh stop
Achieved A-Levels/Access course: AAB + B in AS physics
achieved degree: 2:1 MEng Chemical engineering

Leicester / A100
Date: (date) | Reply: Acknowledgement
Date: (date) | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer / Rejection

UEA / A100
Date: (19/01/2020) | Reply: Rejection

Sunderland / A100
Date: (16/11/2020) | Reply: Interview invite
Date: (date) | Reply: Offer!!!

HYMS / A100
Date: (23/11/2020) | Reply: Rejection (pre interview)

just wanted to know if I've made good/strategic decisions regarding my choice of medical schools. I think according to my UCAS I can still change my unis, so I was wondering if they are any other unis I should have considered given my academic background and UCAT score.

Didn’t think I’d ever get the opportunity to make one of these posts but here I am. Quite happy
Didn’t think I’d ever get the opportunity to make one of these posts but here I am. Quite happy

Congrats!!
Who applied ucl here?!?!?!?!
Original post by rolla01
UCAT: 2820 (640 VR, Band 1)
BMAT:
GAMSAT:
Achieved A-Levels/Access course: BBC
Achieved degree: 2:1 biomedical science

KCL A100

QMUL A100

St George’s University of London A100
Date: 30/11/2020 | Reply: Interview invite

KCL A101

Firm:
Insurance:

I live in London meaning the 5 year courses I’m planning to apply for would be financially feasible for me, it likely wouldn’t be anywhere outside of London.

However, the GEM course would be financially feasible anywhere so I’m wondering where would be best to maximise my chances for my 4th choice? I won’t have sufficient experience for Warwick, I only have 50/70 hours right now unless I can miraculously find some care home experience in the next 10 days. I feel like Sheffield would have been a good choice but I need BBB unfortunately.

This leaves only Kings and Southampton as far as I’m aware with the grades/score I have.

Any advice is very appreciated.

4 rejections, 3 pre interview.
Original post by Postgrad118
BSc in Pharmacology (1st achieved), currently doing an MSc

UCAT: 747.5 average (2990 total), Band 1

University 1 / A100 - QMUL/Barts undergrad - Interview invite (11/12/20)

University 2 / A101 - QMUL/Barts Grad-Entry - Interview invite (18/12/20)

University 3 / A100 - KCL undergrad - Interview invite (01/12/20)

University 4 / A100 - SGUL undergrad - Interview invite (26/11/20) - Rejected (03/02/20)

Updated with SGUL rejection - feel gutted. Already done KCL interview and have both interviews at Barts left to do. Hoping I do good for them..
I am just trying to see whether (erroneously) people think that they will get tuition fee loan? It seems that some applicants had phoned student finance and been told they would (which is wrong). Anyone else?
Updated with SGUL rejection - feel gutted. Already done KCL interview and have both interviews at Barts left to do. Hoping I do good for them..

When did you had your interview for SGUL?
Original post by Angiogram1
I am just trying to see whether (erroneously) people think that they will get tuition fee loan? It seems that some applicants had phoned student finance and been told they would (which is wrong). Anyone else?

We get a means tested maintenance loan - mines enough to pay the tuition fees x
I think it depends on the uni but most don't expect the £37,000 upfront. They let you pay it in instalments (similar to your first degree where student finance would pay your tuition to the uni termly) :smile:
I’m currently doing a masters but it don’t finish until September, would this affect my medicine place if I get an offer? Considering they make an offer based on my undergraduate degree?
Original post by awaise123786
I’m currently doing a masters but it don’t finish until September, would this affect my medicine place if I get an offer? Considering they make an offer based on my undergraduate degree?

Same for me. I think should be okay as medical schools don't want requirements above the UG degree. Check the medical school website though for requirements just to be sure and see if they require a certain grade for Masters (but i really don't think they will, should just be unconditional offer).
Same for me. I think should be okay as medical schools don't want requirements above the UG degree. Check the medical school website though for requirements just to be sure and see if they require a certain grade for Masters (but i really don't think they will, should just be unconditional offer).

Oh okay thank you. Yeah there’s no grade they need for the masters. Was just wondering if it would cause any sort of issue with accepting an offer or when you register on the course like in September

Latest

Trending

Trending