MrSandyWilly
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hey,
I’m interested in learning German (out of school, in my own time). Does anyone have any tips on how to go about doing this? Any good apps/websites (actually good 😂😂), do you recommend books? Anything else?

Ty
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Immerse yourself in the language as much as possible: listen to german music and radio, watch German shows and movies (with subtitles but try to actively listen as well), read German children’s books, read simple articles etc.

Try learning a set number of words every day as well. Look up a list of the most common German words and aim to learn 10-20 every day (depends how much time you have and how much you want to do). It will take a lot of time, but it is possible as long as you don’t give up on it Good luck!
MrSandyWilly
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Chopinnocturne31)
Immerse yourself in the language as much as possible: listen to german music and radio, watch German shows and movies (with subtitles but try to actively listen as well), read German children’s books, read simple articles etc.

Try learning a set number of words every day as well. Look up a list of the most common German words and aim to learn 10-20 every day (depends how much time you have and how much you want to do). It will take a lot of time, but it is possible as long as you don’t give up on it Good luck!
Thanks! Should I just get a book for getting to grips with grammar?
Chopinnocturne31
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by MrSandyWilly)
Thanks! Should I just get a book for getting to grips with grammar?
You’re welcome! Yeah, that could be a good idea. I haven’t done German personally, but I have heard that the grammar is pretty difficult so that sounds good
Byzas92
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Yeah, a book for German grammar would definitely be quite helpful, it's definitely something that's been tripping me up while I've been learning it, seeing as it's quite a bit different from English, grammatically speaking. Collins does a 3-in-1 book with grammar, verbs and vocabulary, which has helped me with understanding some of the quirks of the language. Apart from that, I'd say the same as Chopin, try and immerse yourself in the language as much as possible; tv, music, short stories etc. Viel Glück!
H4ttie03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Omg I love languages! I'd recommend using duolingo and using quizlet to learn vocabulary. Watching films/tv series w subtitles also helps w listening and learning how words are pronounced- duolingo podcasts are aldo good for this as you can listen w the transcript
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Byzas92)
Collins does a 3-in-1 book with grammar, verbs and vocabulary, which has helped me with understanding some of the quirks of the language.
What's the exact book title?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
9.64%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (54)
65.06%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (12)
14.46%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (8)
9.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.2%

Watched Threads