BREAKING - 90% of Year 13s have lost all trust in key decision-makers

Watch
BlinkyBill
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This week TSR surveyed A-level students following the big government u-turn on results this year. We asked students in Year 13 (or equivalent BTEC/Scottish Higher) how they were feeling following everything that had changed over the past couple weeks/days.

We found that:

90% have lost all trust in key decision makers.

77% felt the decisions that have been made regarding grades *weren't* in their best interests

40% felt their college or education provider wasn't helping them enough.

80% felt their mental health had been impacted by the uncertainty and confusion.

Following the u-turn and the many changes around grades this year, TSR published an open letter on behalf of students, calling for urgent clarity and mental health support for those affected by the grading scandal. We're using all the feedback we're seeing from students on TSR to share with key decision makers to get your questions answered.

What do you think about these findings? Are you surprised? If you're in Year 13, do you agree?

If you've found your mental health has been impacted during this difficult time, you can find some tips and links to helpful resources here.
Last edited by BlinkyBill; 3 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 weeks ago
Is this before or after the U turn?

Ultimately why does it matter one jot? Just feel the qualifcation and grades. That was yesterdays battle and they are better off spending time on how to make friends, how much beer they can drink and how to get laid.

As for MH issues, then are you saying these are greater than a normal year where people have the stress of actually revising, actually sitting the exams and then the long wait?
Ramipril
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Is anyone going to be surprised? There were always going to be losers in this. The people who didn't get the grades they deserve, the people who grades they didn't deserve at all (and may go on to struggle in whatever it is they do next), the ones who's near future has been changed - lots of uncertainty. Lots of people have lost out and too many people determine their self-worth by the grades they get.
username5382906
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Removing exams isnt fair at all, especially for those from disadvantages backgrounds or harsh mocks or mean teachers
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
No matter what the government does, they can't please everyone. They can't keep on changing the results in the hope that one day everyone will be pleased.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
The title of this could easily be changed to 90% of the general population have lost all faith in key decision measures. The government have been handling this pandemic with misinformation, backtracking and general incompetence since the beginning. The mess over results was sadly just another installment in the general farce that has been covid-19 in terms of UK politics. The U-turn was purely political to save face and stopped being about best interests long ago.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 3 weeks ago
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I do think its important for this to be addressed. The impact the current year 13's have been through. They was in the year linear grading system where majority of subjects changed for G.C.S.E's (and some alevel topics brought down to g.c.s.e level) , then exams cancelled for A'levels and now u-turn and chaos for universities. (G.C.S.E' students also were affected, so need to acknowledge these students too)

Its important to address this to the government because the affects its had on mental health. Months of not learning, not many jobs around and students sitting at home in lock down with not much to do and places to go and not meeting friends. They have this one glimmer of hope, only to be royally s***t on. Then the unis have also been messed about with as well. What with clearing places being taken, and now students wanting their first choice since they now use their CAG. Its put them into a predicament.
I really hope the government and the DofE learn a valuable lesson from this. They probably wont. They are already dealing with the next problem or issue. So while this is in yesterdays chip paper now, I do think its important that they need to investigate thoroughly as to who was responsible, why things were not done when concerns were raised, and what can be done to stop this happening again and how we can support the new year 13's and year 11's.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
BREAKING - I stubbed my toe whilst getting ready for work.

If you're going to make a bold claim such as the one in the title, then at least declare your sample size. It's stupid to state a quantitative response to a qualitative question. Also, why are loads of these recent threads "breaking"?
Last edited by RedGiant; 3 weeks ago
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Not to sound selfish but can we put the exams and 2020 cohort fiasco to bed and focus on the reopening of schools please! Let's stop focusing on Y13 and start focusing on R-Y12 please. I repeat let's move forward and start focusing on other year groups (R-Y12). Thanks
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I really want to go back to school!! And I want the current R-Y12 to receive as much support as possible
Last edited by 1st superstar; 3 weeks ago
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
I really want to go back to school!! And I want the current R-Y12 to receive as much support as possible
my daughter is in year 10 and in a smiliar position. 5 months worth of school work on line with no teaching support is not good.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ghostlady)
my daughter is in year 10 and in a smiliar position. 5 months worth of school work on line with no teaching support is not good.
Oh dear
Ghostlady
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Oh dear
I really hope for year 12 and year 10s coming into next year, they do exams but on a selective topic basis. So example if you have not covered the nth term in maths, but have covered percentages say, you can choose which ones to answer; and you have to answer a minimum amount of questions.. Everyone is being taught at a different rate and what with local lockdowns happening, not everything will get covered so the exam board need to make it fair somehow.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ghostlady)
I really hope for year 12 and year 10s coming into next year, they do exams but on a selective topic basis. So example if you have not covered the nth term in maths, but have covered percentages say, you can choose which ones to answer; and you have to answer a minimum amount of questions.. Everyone is being taught at a different rate and what with local lockdowns happening, not everything will get covered so the exam board need to make it fair somehow.
Sounds like a good idea
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (38)
13.62%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (39)
13.98%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (95)
34.05%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.39%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (64)
22.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
5.02%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed