What good has Sadiq Khan done for London?

Watch
DSilva
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
The cuts may be due to the ‘pandemic’ however the reason given was due to a fall in council tax. Apologies I said income before, I meant council.

He has and can raise taxes, certainly council tax, which he did just this January.

Secondly, and this is for the last time. Khan is cutting £110 million from the metropolitan police, not the government. Are you struggling with this concept?
The reason council tax has fallen is due to the pandemic. He could raise council tax - but then you'd all complain about him raising taxes - he can't win. And raising council taxes typically and disproportionately hits lower income individuals.

Because he's been forced into it. If you're the mayor and I decide to cut your budget by 20% over ten years - and then a pandemic hits, your resources will be decimated. And you have no real way to boost them. So what else could he do?
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rubbish. The latest round of cuts made by Khan are due to a drop in income tax, not due to government cuts. It is he that is proposing a further £110 million drop in police funding, not the government.

As has already been pointed out to you in this thread London’s budget has increased by 3.6% this year. For the last time, Mr Khan is responsible for the £110million being cut from the met, NOT central government.
The only reference I can find to this 3.6% increase is with regard to the portion of the council tax bill the GLA is entitled to, not the total budget. Beside which, the budget was approved before Covid hit. Of course cuts will now have to be made to make up the shortfall.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by DSilva)
The reason council tax has fallen is due to the pandemic. He could raise council tax - but then you'd all complain about him raising taxes - he can't win. And raising council taxes typically and disproportionately hits lower income individuals.

Because he's been forced into it. If you're the mayor and I decide to cut your budget by 20% over ten years - and then a pandemic hits, your resources will be decimated. And you have no real way to boost them. So what else could he do?
As I’ve said below, staffing costs have risen a massive 83% in the time that Khan has been in charge while as you’ve pointed out, policing costs have fallen. The man, bares a lot of responsibility for crime rising so much.

However, let’s just be honest and say that we’re going round in circles here. He’s a left wing mayor and you from both this thread, and others in terms of your beliefs clearly display left wing rhetoric. Hardly a surprise that you’ll choose to blame the Tory government instead of the left wing mayor. :rolleyes:
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
The only reference I can find to this 3.6% increase is with regard to the portion of the council tax bill the GLA is entitled to, not the total budget. Beside which, the budget was approved before Covid hit. Of course cuts will now have to be made to make up the shortfall.
I appreciate that cuts need to be made to make up for the shortfall, and quite frankly, I would be up in arms regardless when police were cut. However, over the last few years as money has been spent lavishly by Mr Khan, such as staffing costs up by 83% and a nice new £200,000 Land Rover then it is very hard to have sympathy when he then decides to cut police costs, especially as crime has risen to dramatically.
DSilva
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
As I’ve said below, staffing costs have risen a massive 83% in the time that Khan has been in charge while as you’ve pointed out, policing costs have fallen. The man, bares a lot of responsibility for crime rising so much.

However, let’s just be honest and say that we’re going round in circles here. He’s a left wing mayor and you from both this thread, and others in terms of your beliefs clearly display left wing rhetoric. Hardly a surprise that you’ll choose to blame the Tory government instead of the left wing mayor. :rolleyes:

I appreciate that cuts need to be made to make up for the shortfall, and quite frankly, I would be up in arms regardless when police were cut. However, over the last few years as money has been spent lavishly by Mr Khan, such as staffing costs up by 83% and a nice new £200,000 Land Rover then it is very hard to have sympathy when he then decides to cut police costs, especially as crime has risen to dramatically.
The reason staffing costs have increased is because areas that used to be funded by central govts have now been devolved to the GLA such as housing.

He's not particularly left wing, he's pretty centrist as it goes.

When police budgets have been cut by the Tories, I'm going to blame the Tories. Not once have you criticised the Tories for cutting police numbers and budgets by 20%.
Last edited by DSilva; 3 weeks ago
JohnnyHK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Photo ops, lots and lots of photo ops
Oh yeah !! hahah
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads