The Student Room Group

AQA A Level Computer Science Induction Test Help !!!!

I have picked computer science a level and have a 7 in maths i did not do computer science gcse and have to take a programming amptitude test how should i revise for this im stressing pls help i don't want to fail
W3Schools is my pick. Most schools usually do Python,(which is my favourite), as a focus from what I have found as it's usually already been used by students prior either in CS GCSE or Y7/8. If you want a basic understanding you could also look over the Bitesize articles on GCSE but I was told at an open evening that it was generally better to know a base of a language than the other GCSE stuff which can be less time consuming to learn and doesn't always come up at A-level. I've ended up not going to a school that offers CS but have done engineering instead, but nonetheless I hope this has helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by GremlinIAMH
W3Schools is my pick. Most schools usually do Python,(which is my favourite), as a focus from what I have found as it's usually already been used by students prior either in CS GCSE or Y7/8. If you want a basic understanding you could also look over the Bitesize articles on GCSE but I was told at an open evening that it was generally better to know a base of a language than the other GCSE stuff which can be less time consuming to learn and doesn't always come up at A-level. I've ended up not going to a school that offers CS but have done engineering instead, but nonetheless I hope this has helped :smile:

My new teacher has chosen C# whats your advice to help me revise for the best result possible
Original post by liamlarner
My new teacher has chosen C# whats your advice to help me revise for the best result possible

Unexpected but okay. I'd just go through the W3school exercises and pages, I've never done the C# ones but you can go through most of the courses within a few hours anyway. I would expect that your teacher only expects you to know the basics and not it really well anyway, so I wouldn't me to concerned
It’s likely this test will only cover the basics. Luckily for you, these ‘basics’ are pretty the same throughout many languages. As someone who works with the C# it’s not as scary, or ‘difficult’ for people who haven’t programmed before as people make out. There are some great videos on YouTube for beginners that are very good, and as has been said prior, W3Schools is also a useful resource.

Here’s a list of what I’d consider the basics you’ll want to know about:

Variables
Conditionals (If statement, loops ect..)
Data Structures (Mainly arrays at a basic level)
Indexing
Concatenation
Classes
Objects
Methods
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending