The Student Room Group

English proficiency

Is a 6/B in English as a second language (IGCSE) enough to get into a top university? Or will I have to do IELTS, TOEFL?
(I'm trying to get into medicine)
Original post by Khalid Al-Raisi
Is a 6/B in English as a second language (IGCSE) enough to get into a top university? Or will I have to do IELTS, TOEFL?
(I'm trying to get into medicine)

Depends on the uni as they all have their own rules and can differ slightly.
I have seen some which will be fine with it and others who really dont like English as a second language.
As Ielts can be quite expensive and only lasts for a certain time, then its worth looking up.

If you have a uni in miond I will look it up, but its soemthing you should be able to do.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Depends on the uni as they all have their own rules and can differ slightly.
I have seen some which will be fine with it and others who really dont like English as a second language.
As Ielts can be quite expensive and only lasts for a certain time, then its worth looking up.

If you have a uni in miond I will look it up, but its soemthing you should be able to do.

If I was going to take IELTS will I have to do it in the summer between Year 12 and Year 13 or would it be better to do it after my A levels exams?
I will be doing UCAT at that time
If I was going to take IELTS will I have to do it in the summer between Year 12 and Year 13 or would it be better to do it after my A levels exams?
I will be doing UCAT at that time

You need to have passed it before you start uni. It is valid for 2 years . You can work out yourself whether it benefits you before or after.
Reply 4
=

Original post by 999tigger
You need to have passed it before you start uni. It is valid for 2 years . You can work out yourself whether it benefits you before or after.

Thanks. I thought that you need it to be able to apply and get an offer.
=

Thanks. I thought that you need it to be able to apply and get an offer.

My understanding is you need it before you start.

This is a typical example. but you need to check your target unis as it can vary. Obviously your planning should have enough flexibility to leave time for resits as every year you see international students who have failed, dont meet the English requirement and cant start because they have no time left to resit..

Most academic departments are able to make conditional offers to applicants who do not meet the English language requirements when they apply for an academic programme. A conditional offer is subject to applicants achieving the required level of English before starting the programme.

Quick Reply

Latest