The Student Room Group

Appeal

My daughter had every single grade lower than predicted or Mocs in Bristol . She has a pass to 6th form but she feels utterly unfair when you are working towards A, A+ and every assessment and test was 8-9 to receive a C . There is no communication with the Academy except email , there is an automatic reply that actually nothing. We send an appeal on Physics , Chemistry, German , History and Business but how to take it higher. What to do if there is no help from the school as such, no communication. If there is mistake made in all 11 subjects ? How to make them appeal ?
P.S. Good student, top sets, good attendance and behavior , disadvantage family- it’s a principal issue , she worked for it . She is happy to resist the exams but how to do it as there is nothing from School until 2nd of September. I am happy to pay 35 pounds per exam or take it to court if it takes but how to make school do anything. Thank you

This is their reply
Our Centre Assessed Grades (CAGs) were determined by staff by looking at a range of evidence. This included performance over the course, mock results, the nature of the mock and its marking, 'working at' and predicted grades given over the duration of the course and any coursework done before 20th March. Teachers also used their professional judgement about normal rates of improvement, subject use of grade boundaries and trends within subject performance.
There was a lengthy and robust moderation process of these grades before submission at all levels of the school, firstly between classroom staff, then through Heads of Faculty and then by SLT. At all stages we took the allocation of fair and reasonable grades extremely seriously. At times in the process difficult decisions had to be made about final CAGs; staff were very mindful of the need to be impartial, professional and accurate, and aware of both the possible impact of results on individual students and as well as considering the potential consequences of over inflating results.
If you believe that there was any bias or discrimination in the awarding of the CAG then please raise this initially through rxxxxx. You cannot request that the CAG is changed, but you can ask for further clarification of the data used if you wish. If you require further information, this will not be available until the beginning of term when the school is open.“
(edited 3 years ago)
That definitely does seem unfair especially if she received 8-9 in her mocks to then receive a C.

If I were you or in your daughter position I would take it higher than the school and email or ring your mp because that’s to unjust.

I’d also get copy’s of the most recent mocks and parents evening or school report just to create a profile. If anything ring the school again and get them to ring you back if anything; if not try and contact the governors or the member of staff who’s in charge of the cags.

If all else doesn’t work contact her sixth form or college about how she can progress with her current grades- this will help you with option on whether to appeal or just move onto further education.

Also consider emailing Ofqual in the contact section or the department of Education- that being said I don’t know how much that would do.

All the best feel free to message back.
Reply 2
Original post by HolidayGirl<3
That definitely does seem unfair especially if she received 8-9 in her mocks to then receive a C.

If I were you or in your daughter position I would take it higher than the school and email or ring your mp because that’s to unjust.

I’d also get copy’s of the most recent mocks and parents evening or school report just to create a profile. If anything ring the school again and get them to ring you back if anything; if not try and contact the governors or the member of staff who’s in charge of the cags.

If all else doesn’t work contact her sixth form or college about how she can progress with her current grades- this will help you with option on whether to appeal or just move onto further education.

Also consider emailing Ofqual in the contact section or the department of Education- that being said I don’t know how much that would do.

All the best feel free to message back.

Original post by IrynaM
My daughter had every single grade lower than predicted or Mocs in Winterbourne Academy Bristol . She has a pass to 6th form but she feels utterly unfair when you are working towards A, A+ and every assessment and test was 8-9 to receive a C . There is no communication with the Academy except email , there is an automatic reply that actually nothing. We send an appeal on Physics , Chemistry, German , History and Business but how to take it higher. What to do if there is no help from the school as such, no communication. If there is mistake made in all 11 subjects ? How to make them appeal ?
P.S. Good student, top sets, good attendance and behavior , disadvantage family- it’s a principal issue , she worked for it . She is happy to resist the exams but how to do it as there is nothing from School until 2nd of September. I am happy to pay 35 pounds per exam or take it to court if it takes but how to make school do anything. Thank you

This is their reply
Our Centre Assessed Grades (CAGs) were determined by staff by looking at a range of evidence. This included performance over the course, mock results, the nature of the mock and its marking, 'working at' and predicted grades given over the duration of the course and any coursework done before 20th March. Teachers also used their professional judgement about normal rates of improvement, subject use of grade boundaries and trends within subject performance.
There was a lengthy and robust moderation process of these grades before submission at all levels of the school, firstly between classroom staff, then through Heads of Faculty and then by SLT. At all stages we took the allocation of fair and reasonable grades extremely seriously. At times in the process difficult decisions had to be made about final CAGs; staff were very mindful of the need to be impartial, professional and accurate, and aware of both the possible impact of results on individual students and as well as considering the potential consequences of over inflating results.
If you believe that there was any bias or discrimination in the awarding of the CAG then please raise this initially through rxxxxx. You cannot request that the CAG is changed, but you can ask for further clarification of the data used if you wish. If you require further information, this will not be available until the beginning of term when the school is open.“

Hi
I think schools have a duty of care to be unbiased and fair. You can appeal, but the exam boards say only with evidence of bias and malpractice. Look at the evidence carefully and decide your position. You can request a "Subject Request Access' and the school by law must provide students the information. Whilst they do have 30 days if you ask for information you can explain the deadlines of the appeal process whilst they do know it is best you state it.
17th September is the last date to appeal and they should help you work to that date.
Good Luck
Reply 3
Thank you all , it’s seriously awful. She feels so unfair so she wats to retake every single of her 11 exams , I am worried sick about her emotional state . I am her only family and I am a Key worker as well and my work during COVID put a huge emotional impact on her too , now this unfair treatment, a negligence from the Academy . I wrote to the governor’s and to our local MP . Hope we get some truth . Thank you for your advice.
Reply 4
Some students have got what the deserve out of this fiasco, some are delighted they have done better and it is those few who have been left
If would be interesting to see a survey on how many students feel they got lower grades by their schools.
Good luck
Original post by IrynaM
My daughter had every single grade lower than predicted or Mocs in Winterbourne Academy Bristol . She has a pass to 6th form but she feels utterly unfair when you are working towards A, A+ and every assessment and test was 8-9 to receive a C . There is no communication with the Academy except email , there is an automatic reply that actually nothing. We send an appeal on Physics , Chemistry, German , History and Business but how to take it higher. What to do if there is no help from the school as such, no communication. If there is mistake made in all 11 subjects ? How to make them appeal ?

This is their reply

Can you give us an update on this and I will see if theres anything I can contribute. You are talking to the right people so GL. I forgot to answer previously and have been saving the tab.

Aslo do say what their explanation was about the discrepancy.

Quick Reply

Latest