buoynancy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wanted to ask if anyone had advice on preparation in advance of starting the IB course. My subjects are
HL Biology Chemistry Maths (Analysis and Approached)
SL French English Lit in Translation and Global Politics

I haven't done anything concrete, have looked at the specs a little but nothing has gone into my brain. Anything you wish you knew before starting the course or good tips for me to start the course with? tyy x
hannah4299
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I've just finished the IB and achieved 45 points. I'd love to give some tips.

For context, I did HL Maths Econ Physics, SL French Spanish English Lit

First of all, I'm so glad you've chosen the IB! It's such a great programme and I hope you enjoy it. It'll be an intense but rewarding two years so make sure you relax over this summer and be reading for y12!

Most importantly, you should work on your mindset. This is what I did in my y11 summer holiday. Do some reading about the growth mindset v fixed mindset (there are some great videos by Ali Abdaal that worked for me). The IB content is hard and if you're stuck on disappointment with where you're at, you'll never succeed and overcome the hurdles. In class, you need to have the confidence to ask the silly question and put yourself forward when you have no idea. This is singlehandedly the best thing you could do.

Second piece of advice, always aim for mastery of a topic and understanding. Don't worry about what's on the exam and what isn't on the exam. Just focus on understanding and seeing how everything fits together. By doing this, you'll inevitably smash the exams. Ask your teacher those questions! Don't just accept what they say! Engage with the material.

Don't worry about the specifications, they'll just scare you! Instead, let me give you some subject specific advice:

1. HL Maths
- Make sure you know your GCSE content (and Additional Maths if you did it) very well. This is very important. Don't worry about learning new things.
- Desmos.com is such a useful website for drawing graphs- trust me you'll thank me for this later.
- Integral Calculator is a great website for later on
- In terms of tips, just ensure that you're keeping on top of the homework. I know you always hear this, but start your maths homework on the day it is set so that you give yourself time to come back to it, discuss it with a friend/teacher and work on it. NEVER DO IT THE NIGHT BEFORE!! You can get away with that with other subjects, not maths HL though!

2. SL French
now:
- make sure you know your GCSE grammar very well during the summer, consolidate every holiday
- read a few articles on Le Figaro, RFI just to remind yourself of the language
- try speak to yourself a little
once term starts:
- learn vocabulary regularly (maybe every other day for just 10 mins)
- make a list of your common mistakes in writings
- listening websites: RFI have listening exercises

3. SL English
Nothing to prep to be honest! Just read a lot over summer to keep exposing yourself to interesting ideas and be ready for some interesting discussions!
In class: keep contributing! it'll help you more than anyone else.

let me know if you have anymore questions

you'll love the IB!
buoynancy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by hannah4299)
Hi! I've just finished the IB and achieved 45 points. I'd love to give some tips.

For context, I did HL Maths Econ Physics, SL French Spanish English Lit

First of all, I'm so glad you've chosen the IB! It's such a great programme and I hope you enjoy it. It'll be an intense but rewarding two years so make sure you relax over this summer and be reading for y12!

Most importantly, you should work on your mindset. This is what I did in my y11 summer holiday. Do some reading about the growth mindset v fixed mindset (there are some great videos by Ali Abdaal that worked for me). The IB content is hard and if you're stuck on disappointment with where you're at, you'll never succeed and overcome the hurdles. In class, you need to have the confidence to ask the silly question and put yourself forward when you have no idea. This is singlehandedly the best thing you could do.

Second piece of advice, always aim for mastery of a topic and understanding. Don't worry about what's on the exam and what isn't on the exam. Just focus on understanding and seeing how everything fits together. By doing this, you'll inevitably smash the exams. Ask your teacher those questions! Don't just accept what they say! Engage with the material.

Don't worry about the specifications, they'll just scare you! Instead, let me give you some subject specific advice:

1. HL Maths
- Make sure you know your GCSE content (and Additional Maths if you did it) very well. This is very important. Don't worry about learning new things.
- Desmos.com is such a useful website for drawing graphs- trust me you'll thank me for this later.
- Integral Calculator is a great website for later on
- In terms of tips, just ensure that you're keeping on top of the homework. I know you always hear this, but start your maths homework on the day it is set so that you give yourself time to come back to it, discuss it with a friend/teacher and work on it. NEVER DO IT THE NIGHT BEFORE!! You can get away with that with other subjects, not maths HL though!

2. SL French
now:
- make sure you know your GCSE grammar very well during the summer, consolidate every holiday
- read a few articles on Le Figaro, RFI just to remind yourself of the language
- try speak to yourself a little
once term starts:
- learn vocabulary regularly (maybe every other day for just 10 mins)
- make a list of your common mistakes in writings
- listening websites: RFI have listening exercises

3. SL English
Nothing to prep to be honest! Just read a lot over summer to keep exposing yourself to interesting ideas and be ready for some interesting discussions!
In class: keep contributing! it'll help you more than anyone else.

let me know if you have anymore questions

you'll love the IB!
Thank you so so much this is such great and reassuring advice! And congratulations on getting a 45, evidently your tips are great!!! <333
Can I just ask, with regards to revision, what sorts of methods did you use? I made absolutely no notes for GCSE I just made sure i understood things and tested myself a LOT, I know that with the amount of content that probably isn't possible for the IB so was wondering what worked for you. Thank you SO much again xx
hannah4299
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by buoynancy)
Thank you so so much this is such great and reassuring advice! And congratulations on getting a 45, evidently your tips are great!!! <333
Can I just ask, with regards to revision, what sorts of methods did you use? I made absolutely no notes for GCSE I just made sure i understood things and tested myself a LOT, I know that with the amount of content that probably isn't possible for the IB so was wondering what worked for you. Thank you SO much again xx
thank you

in terms of revision methods:

1. HL Maths: make sure you always understand the content in class, this will make revision a lot easier. In terms of revision, just do plenty of past papers! Whenever I didn't understand a topic, I would work through the textbook exercises. I also had flashcards for a few bits of information I didn't want to forget or for some tricks eg 'what is the fundamental theorem of algebra'

2. SL French: the trick here is little and often revision. What you need to do is build your language skills over the two years, then you'll do very little revision for the exams themselves. For the listening exam, you want to be listening to the french radio (eg RFI) a few times a week throughout y12+y13. For the reading exam, just learning all your vocab will be enough (focus on the vocab book). For the oral exam, practice describing a photo once a week for year 13 and get some sample questions and practice! For the writing exam, memorise the formats and learn some good phrases. In general, just try and immerse yourself in the language, learn your vocab and learn your grammar. It helped me to have a 'passive vocab list' ie words that I'll never use but come up again and again in reading comprehensions/listening comprehensions. I would go over this list French to English, rather than English to French.

Also Quizlet will be your best friend for languages.

3. SL English: paper 1 is just practice. For paper 2, I found mindmaps really helpful and learning quotes throughout year 13 every now and then really really useful.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.54%
No (193)
78.46%

Watched Threads