The Student Room Group
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website

University of East London (UEL) yes or no?

I got a clearing place for UEL but all the reviews are really bad so I’m unsure whether to go or not and spend £10k a year on this uni if they are going to be like the reviews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I got a clearing place for UEL but all the reviews are really bad so I’m unsure whether to go or not and spend £10k a year on this uni if they are going to be like the reviews

What are your grades?
Whats the course?
What are your criteria?

There are a few courses to do with teachimng and counselling they are known for.
You only get one chance at uni in most cases so make sure its somewhere you will enjopy and can be happy at for 3 years.
Library, University of East London
University of East London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
What are your grades?
Whats the course?
What are your criteria?

There are a few courses to do with teachimng and counselling they are known for.
You only get one chance at uni in most cases so make sure its somewhere you will enjopy and can be happy at for 3 years.

ive re

I’ve already been accepted and I don’t wanna say too much about the course and give way my identity but it’s an accounting degree
I won’t get accepted anywhere else
I’ve already been accepted and I don’t wanna say too much about the course and give way my identity but it’s an accounting degree
I won’t get accepted anywhere else

You just have to do a pros and cons and see whether the uni meets the main criteria?
If you understand those then you will be making an informed decision.
Have you asked to speak to any course reps or student ambassadors?

I believe I would go elsewhere or get the things I needed to do so.
Reply 4
You just have to do a pros and cons and see whether the uni meets the main criteria?
If you understand those then you will be making an informed decision.
Have you asked to speak to any course reps or student ambassadors?

I believe I would go elsewhere or get the things I needed to do so.

No I haven’t been able to speak to anyone as I only applied last week and due to covid couldn’t visit or go to an open day
I have applied to elsewhere I got accepted to Canterbury but turned that down as it was too far to commute and struggled finding accommodation
Applied to a higher education “college” near me which wouldn’t accept and government tuition fee
No I haven’t been able to speak to anyone as I only applied last week and due to covid couldn’t visit or go to an open day
I have applied to elsewhere I got accepted to Canterbury but turned that down as it was too far to commute and struggled finding accommodation
Applied to a higher education “college” near me which wouldn’t accept and government tuition fee

Well there is insufficent data, but you need to understand what your rerstrictions are.
In your situation I believe I would not go and simply resit or do an access course.
Reply 6
Well there is insufficent data, but you need to understand what your rerstrictions are.
In your situation I believe I would not go and simply resit or do an access course.

Yes the access course I couldn’t get accepted for because they wouldn’t accept an advanced learner loan for some reason, I can’t resist as I don’t have qualifications, I was accepted due to my experience
Yes the access course I couldn’t get accepted for because they wouldn’t accept an advanced learner loan for some reason, I can’t resist as I don’t have qualifications, I was accepted due to my experience

Then how do they expect you to pay? That makes no sense at all if they dont take ALL, its like unis saying they wont accept SFE.
I would get them to clarify, but tbh if they said that to me, then it would make such an impression that I would go elsewhere.
Reply 8
Then how do they expect you to pay? That makes no sense at all if they dont take ALL, its like unis saying they wont accept SFE.
I would get them to clarify, but tbh if they said that to me, then it would make such an impression that I would go elsewhere.

I’ve literally rung them 3 times and emailed to get them to clarify because it makes no sense! They’re only accepting people that pay upfront £3022! They’ve been so unhelpful it’s really put me off
I’ve literally rung them 3 times and emailed to get them to clarify because it makes no sense! They’re only accepting people that pay upfront £3022! They’ve been so unhelpful it’s really put me off

Makes no sense. You appear to be in London, there are multiple providers.
Makes no sense. You appear to be in London, there are multiple providers.

I’m not I live in the countryside, I’d be commuting to London

Cant say im keen but there are online access as well.
In any event brick access are only 3 days a week.
Reply 12

Would you not want to try the University's accommodation? UEL's accommodation looks really nice when you drive past it. They have a row of modern blocks overlooking the water in East London. I used to live near UEL.

https://www.uel.ac.uk/accommodation

I get the distinct impression that you are someone who would benefit from starting University this autumn rather than next year, to be honest.

If you have a place to do something like Accounting and Finance at UEL this year, I would suggest taking it. Get yourself set up in the accommodation and then throw yourself lock stock and barrel into the course. At UEL, you are not far from Canary Wharf and also very close to the City. As you progress through the course, you will have opportunities to go to events in the City and perhaps meet people who might be able to point you towards a decent job for after you have graduated.

To be honest, what you need right now is a good education in accounting and finance; it doesn't really matter (in my view) where you get this education, what matters is that you do really well when you do. If you were to get a First/2:1 at UEL, you would, in my view, be in a good position to start a career in accountancy and finance.

I have worked in the City and, to be honest, very few people take an overwhelming interest in where someone has done their degree.

I would enquire about accommodation at UEL and take up the place.
Reply 13
“I’m in a similar situation. What some of my close friends have said, is that you don’t have to settle for less. In this situation, UEL would be the ‘less’ because like you said, it wasn’t your first choice and it’s not exactly where you want to go.

In this situation where you have the opportunity to do what you want and go where you want (e.g. sit the exams), I know you said that they’re extremely stressful. But what else is stopping you?

What about the positives that could happen? You could do so much better by sitting the exams and even have the chance to apply to better universities. You’d be able to choose what uni you want to go to, rather than settling for a uni that you’re okay with.
During the extra year that you have due to sitting your exams, you could find work experience in the sector that you’re looking to enter in the future, this would help you become a more appealing candidate. Or you could just simply get a job and save up for uni.

There’s a lot of options for you right now. It’s just what’s best for you, for your future.
Think about what you want to come from going to uni, is it the environment? The people that will be studying with you? The uni’s reputation? The course itself? The graduate prospects? The social life? Etc etc etc

I hope that helps you narrow down your options and make your decision!“

I posted this in another thread and I thought it might relate to this one. I’m not sure if you’re leaving A Levels right now. But I talked about the positives of sitting exams if you’re also thinking about that. Like you said, do you really want to spend £10k on a uni that you don’t really like?
(edited 3 years ago)

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
Original post by blursi
“I’m in a similar situation. What some of my close friends have said, is that you don’t have to settle for less. In this situation, UEL would be the ‘less’ because like you said, it wasn’t your first choice and it’s not exactly where you want to go.

In this situation where you have the opportunity to do what you want and go where you want (e.g. sit the exams), I know you said that they’re extremely stressful. But what else is stopping you?

What about the positives that could happen? You could do so much better by sitting the exams and even have the chance to apply to better universities. You’d be able to choose what uni you want to go to, rather than settling for a uni that you’re okay with.
During the extra year that you have due to sitting your exams, you could find work experience in the sector that you’re looking to enter in the future, this would help you become a more appealing candidate. Or you could just simply get a job and save up for uni.

There’s a lot of options for you right now. It’s just what’s best for you, for your future.
Think about what you want to come from going to uni, is it the environment? The people that will be studying with you? The uni’s reputation? The course itself? The graduate prospects? The social life? Etc etc etc

I hope that helps you narrow down your options and make your decision!“

I posted this in another thread and I thought it might relate to this one. I’m not sure if you’re leaving A Levels right now. But I talked about the positives of sitting exams if you’re also thinking about that. Like you said, do you really want to spend £10k on a uni that you don’t really like?

£3000 tuition fee is what’s stopping me. I don’t find exams stressful, it’s the admissions to college.
Original post by Kerzen
Would you not want to try the University's accommodation? UEL's accommodation looks really nice when you drive past it. They have a row of modern blocks overlooking the water in East London. I used to live near UEL.

https://www.uel.ac.uk/accommodation

I get the distinct impression that you are someone who would benefit from starting University this autumn rather than next year, to be honest.

If you have a place to do something like Accounting and Finance at UEL this year, I would suggest taking it. Get yourself set up in the accommodation and then throw yourself lock stock and barrel into the course. At UEL, you are not far from Canary Wharf and also very close to the City. As you progress through the course, you will have opportunities to go to events in the City and perhaps meet people who might be able to point you towards a decent job for after you have graduated.

To be honest, what you need right now is a good education in accounting and finance; it doesn't really matter (in my view) where you get this education, what matters is that you do really well when you do. If you were to get a First/2:1 at UEL, you would, in my view, be in a good position to start a career in accountancy and finance.

I have worked in the City and, to be honest, very few people take an overwhelming interest in where someone has done their degree.

I would enquire about accommodation at UEL and take up the place.

I have a child so accommodations not an option
Yes it is accounting and finance, it’s something I really want to do and London would have the perfect opportunities. I honestly don’t mind the commute, unis only 2 days a week usually. I’ve already got my AAT Level 2 so looking for part time work whilst I study
Reply 18
I have a child so accommodations not an option

There are areas of housing near UEL which aren't part of the University and a good supply of flats, but it's true that the rents for them reflect where they are. It might be a possibility for you.

I see, by the way, that UEL offers a nursery, but it may be that your child is older than nursery age.

What are you planning to now that you have thought things through?
Original post by Kerzen
There are areas of housing near UEL which aren't part of the University and a good supply of flats, but it's true that the rents for them reflect where they are. It might be a possibility for you.

I see, by the way, that UEL offers a nursery, but it may be that your child is older than nursery age.

What are you planning to now that you have thought things through?

I live just under an hour driving from UEL Stratford campus, 40 min train so it’s not too bad! Yeah the nursery would be good. I think I will go for it. London is a really great place and has lots of opportunities. I can’t spend my life stuck in a small town.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending