The Student Room Group

GCSE Requirements for University

Can I go to Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, LSE or any top university to study law with these GCSE grades?

I got a 6 (B) in Maths, 7s (As) in Chem, Bio, Physics, and 8s (A*s) in Eng Lit, Eng Lang, History, French, Spanish, R.S.

I’m worried that my B in Maths will mean I won’t be able to get in realistically. I know I technically meet the requirements but the course is quite competitive so I’m unsure and I didn’t get any 9s which is an issue.

I also had to redo year 12 because of an illness that I was hospitalised for, I don’t know whether this could be an issue too but it was something out of my control.

Thank you
You can only go to either Cambridge or Oxford. If you are worried about your GCSEs hindering you, go to Cambridge as they are less strict than Oxford. You're fine for the other unis. Dont worry because a B in maths wouldnt hinder you as you have a good overall gcse range. Also unis see 8s and 9s the same so dont worry about getting 9s. I would contact them on their resits policy or research it because the unis you specifically mentioned dont really accept resists but if they accept your extenuating circumstances, it should be fine as long as your teacher puts in your references and you fill any extenuating circumstances forms.
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
You can only go to either Cambridge or Oxford. If you are worried about your GCSEs hindering you, go to Cambridge as they are less strict than Oxford. You're fine for the other unis. Dont worry because a B in maths wouldnt hinder you as you have a good overall gcse range. Also unis see 8s and 9s the same so dont worry about getting 9s. I would contact them on their resits policy or research it because the unis you specifically mentioned dont really accept resists but if they accept your extenuating circumstances, it should be fine as long as your teacher puts in your references and you fill any extenuating circumstances forms.

Thank you for replying!! This has really reassured me. I had a serious acute condition - sepsis and glandular fever - and in their list of extenuating circumstances it says acute serious illnesses are allowed. I was also diagnosed with clinical depression in June of that year (year 12). I developed sepsis and glandular fever it at the start of year 13 and my teachers advised me to redo year 13 because I was dealing with the effects, so I never received results and therefore never sat any A Level exams (I’m not redoing year 13 because I didn’t get good grades). Do you think this will be legitimate reason for redoing the year? I’m still dealing with post sepsis syndrome and the effects today, and was hospitalised for a couple days (I was released too early). Thank you!
Original post by emiilyyy.w
Thank you for replying!! This has really reassured me. I had a serious acute condition - sepsis and glandular fever - and in their list of extenuating circumstances it says acute serious illnesses are allowed. I was also diagnosed with clinical depression in June of that year (year 12). I developed sepsis and glandular fever it at the start of year 13 and my teachers advised me to redo year 13 because I was dealing with the effects, so I never received results and therefore never sat any A Level exams (I’m not redoing year 13 because I didn’t get good grades). Do you think this will be legitimate reason for redoing the year? I’m still dealing with post sepsis syndrome and the effects today, and was hospitalised for a couple days (I was released too early). Thank you!

Yes I think it’s legitimate reasons. If you are in doubt it is, then contact them for direct clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest