The Student Room Group

What A levels do you need for optometry?

I just got my GCSE results - 7s and above for all - I am going to take Biology and Maths however I don’t know what to pick for my 3rd option.
I was thinking about chemistry but I struggled in it for gcses and I know it’s only going to get worse. I did triple science however towards the end my chemistry teacher was edging me to drop to combined
I want to do psychology however my parents think it’s a waste of an a level

Please help, what are the BEST A LEVELS FOR OPTOMETRY
Original post by mo.hinii
I just got my GCSE results - 7s and above for all - I am going to take Biology and Maths however I don’t know what to pick for my 3rd option.
I was thinking about chemistry but I struggled in it for gcses and I know it’s only going to get worse. I did triple science however towards the end my chemistry teacher was edging me to drop to combined

My advice would be to look at uni entry requirements for optometry and see what subjects are definitely required.For example at Manchester for optometry:We require grades AAB, including two A-levels in Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry with grades AA (normally to be taken in one sitting) and a pass in the practical assessments.General Studies is welcomed but not normally included as part of the offer.We will consider resit applications provided you have obtained a minimum of A-level grades BBC at the first attempt (or equivalent qualifications).For manchester specifically you only require two of the subjects listed but check other unis.You can choose whatever you feel is best there is no such thing as best a levels for optometry. You already have the minimum for most unis.Research some unis you want to go to and see what they require.That is the best way forward.Don't do a subject that you know you won't enjoy.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Winniebear2001
My advice would be to look at uni entry requirements for optometry and see what subjects are definitely required.For example at Manchester for optometry:We require grades AAB, including two A-levels in Biology, Maths, Physics or Chemistry with grades AA (normally to be taken in one sitting) and a pass in the practical assessments.General Studies is welcomed but not normally included as part of the offer.We will consider resit applications provided you have obtained a minimum of A-level grades BBC at the first attempt (or equivalent qualifications).For manchester specifically you only require two of the subjects listed but check other unis.You can choose whatever you feel is best there is no such thing as best a levels for optometry. You already have the minimum for most unis.Research some unis you want to go to and see what they require.That is the best way forward.Don't do a subject that you know you won't enjoy.

Okay thank you so so much!
Hey! I'm about to go into my first year of Optometry this September and I did Bio, Maths and Psychology :smile: I hated Chemistry at GCSE which is why I didn't pick it, but I still got offers from all 5 uni's that I applied to! All uni's that offer Optometry ask for A-levels in at least 2 of the following: Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths. So it really doesn't matter if you don't pick Chemistry.

I'd say for your 3rd A-level pick a subject that you'll enjoy! I really loved Psychology, it was so interesting and the lessons were like a mini 'break' from the rest of my subjects. Maths and Biology (especially Bio) are quite demanding so it's nice to have a lesson which is slightly less stressful :smile: x
Original post by nxsha
Hey! I'm about to go into my first year of Optometry this September and I did Bio, Maths and Psychology :smile: I hated Chemistry at GCSE which is why I didn't pick it, but I still got offers from all 5 uni's that I applied to! All uni's that offer Optometry ask for A-levels in at least 2 of the following: Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths. So it really doesn't matter if you don't pick Chemistry.

I'd say for your 3rd A-level pick a subject that you'll enjoy! I really loved Psychology, it was so interesting and the lessons were like a mini 'break' from the rest of my subjects. Maths and Biology (especially Bio) are quite demanding so it's nice to have a lesson which is slightly less stressful :smile: x

Ah thank you so much!! I will choose the same a levels. Could I ask, which universities have given your offers? I live in London and there is only one university in London and I'm not sure if I want to move out.

What did you end up choosing?
Reply 6

Hi what did you end up doing.im year 11 and not sure what to do for my third a level. I'm going to do Maths and not sure if better to do Chemistry or Biology and then do law...help

Heya!
I would recommend looking into different optometry degrees and checking out their entry requirements. You can use Unicompare for that. Psychology is a respected a-level so if you want to do it go ahead but always check entry requirements first! They usually list what 1/2 sciences they want e.g. bio and maths. Some unis may not consider psychology a science subject so be careful and check it first (though some also do consider it a science so just check it's ok) :h: I believe you should be fine with maths and bio as your sciences a-levels and 3rd can be anything (like psychology). If you need future help with bio, check out Study Mind for free resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
I would recommend looking into different optometry degrees and checking out their entry requirements. You can use Unicompare for that. Psychology is a respected a-level so if you want to do it go ahead but always check entry requirements first! They usually list what 1/2 sciences they want e.g. bio and maths. Some unis may not consider psychology a science subject so be careful and check it first (though some also do consider it a science so just check it's ok) :h: I believe you should be fine with maths and bio as your sciences a-levels and 3rd can be anything (like psychology). If you need future help with bio, check out Study Mind for free resources!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks for sending the links.Much appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest