patatasfritas007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What are you 'resitting' in Autumn and why?
queenbeexox
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
None
lizzie.zipmouth
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
chemistry got an 8 which is annoying because i got an 8 in my mock and i was 3 marks off a 9 but my teacher still gave me an 8
CS got a 7, i know i can get a 9
physics, got an 8, i know i can get a 9
that's it so altogether i'll have (hopefully) 999999988
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by lizzie.zipmouth)
chemistry got an 8 which is annoying because i got an 8 in my mock and i was 3 marks off a 9 but my teacher still gave me an 8
Do not waste your time re-sitting subjects you got an 8 in - or even a 7. You would be far better off concentrating on your A levels.
GeorgiaHingley
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I want to resit English language, English literature and design and technology. In a similar vein to lizzie.zipmouth I feel I could have, and have in a previous mock, done better than my grades even though they are good (8 - in language, 7 in literature, 8 in tech.) I think if you feel you could have done better/have done better just sit them because you will regret not doing it. No harm in retaking (maybe a bit more stress during a levels but I doubt it’s major, particularly for the subjects I’m doing.)
lizzie.zipmouth
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Compost)
Do not waste your time re-sitting subjects you got an 8 in - or even a 7. You would be far better off concentrating on your A levels.
I've covered all of AS level Maths and the first 2 topics in both AS level Chemistry and Biology. I assure you, I am not behind and won't be.
GCSEs are a strong part of the admission process for the course I want to do and there is no harm in retaking. Retaking Chemistry is revision for next year anyways and Computer Science is fairly easy to do well in. Physics I'm weary about so I probably won't retake but there's no harm in doing so. I would regret it if I didn't and if my gcses hindered me in anyway
lizzie.zipmouth
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Do you guys think the grade boundaries for the autumn exams will be harsher/higher?
patatasfritas007
Rep:
?
i hope they re not
patatasfritas007
Rep:
?
(Original post by lizzie.zipmouth)
what are your current grades if u don't mind saying
anaveragekid
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Don't you think that re-sitting a 7 for an 8 or 9 would be beneficial since it would show that you're not letting CAGs define you & aren't taking the easy way out? I got a 7 in Maths and I'm considering retaking, although I'm taking Math in A-levels anyway sooo...
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I wouldn't bother. Some revision of GCSE content now to be ready for the start of term would be a good idea but I'm not sure how seriously a university would take a GCSE taken when you're already studying the A level.
anaveragekid
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I wouldn't bother. Some revision of GCSE content now to be ready for the start of term would be a good idea but I'm not sure how seriously a university would take a GCSE taken when you're already studying the A level.
I get your point, but considering these GCSEs resits in O/N aren't really counted as resits & rather as first sittings, would that make much of an impact?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anaveragekid)
I get your point, but considering these GCSEs resits in O/N aren't really counted as resits & rather as first sittings, would that make much of an impact?
Hard to know since we've never been in this situation before. If you were taking AS at the end of Year 12 I would saying definitely don't as that would provide evidence of your ability before you apply for university. As it stands, it's hard to be certain.
anaveragekid
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hard to know since we've never been in this situation before. If you were taking AS at the end of Year 12 I would saying definitely don't as that would provide evidence of your ability before you apply for university. As it stands, it's hard to be certain.
Right, so I actually am just entering AS this Sept & ofc barring some catastrophe will be taking the AS exams in M/J 2021. In such a case a retake wouldn't be recommended, right? I talked to a lot of my seniors & teachers, tbf they've all cautioned against a retake saying I should focus on AS instead to prove that my GCSE 7 was not the correct grade, rather than retaking and risking all your AS subjects. Would you agree with that?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by anaveragekid)
Right, so I actually am just entering AS this Sept & ofc barring some catastrophe will be taking the AS exams in M/J 2021. In such a case a retake wouldn't be recommended, right? I talked to a lot of my seniors & teachers, tbf they've all cautioned against a retake saying I should focus on AS instead to prove that my GCSE 7 was not the correct grade, rather than retaking and risking all your AS subjects. Would you agree with that?
yes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (675)
33.62%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (856)
42.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (386)
19.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.53%

Watched Threads