if you hold a level 5 qualification....

Watch
RoseGarden20
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
If you hold a level 5 qualification at 120 credits and you want to apply for a degree, are you automatically given the credit transfer equivalent of having completed the level 4, thus giving you 240 credits in theory, enabling you to study the degree for only the 3rd year (level 6)?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A degree is 360 credits. You can’t just skip 120 of them without a very good reason.

You need to ask the universities that you are interested in applying to whether they will accept you into third year with your qualification. They may not be able to and ask you to start in second year instead
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
If you hold a level 5 qualification and want to top up to a degree, it is possible but normally the university will require the level 5 qualification to be in the same or very similar subject to that of the subject you wish to study.

You would put in a recognition of other learning for the level 5 for the 240 credits and then top up for the remaining 120. However, I would strongly recommend that you check with the university if they accept the qualification first.

However, if the university has already given you 120 credits at level 4 and are aware of your other qualification, I would assume that they haven’t accepted the level 5 qualification but best to check with them.
RoseGarden20
Rep:
?
Thank you both. The uni is currently looking into it for me. The degree is also in education, as is the level 5 I have. I'm hoping they allow it as 8 out of the 20 people on my course have done what I'm asking for.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by RoseGarden20)
Thank you both. The uni is currently looking into it for me. The degree is also in education, as is the level 5 I have. I'm hoping they allow it as 8 out of the 20 people on my course have done what I'm asking for.
If you have work experience then they may be able to APEL (accredited prior experiential learning) the missing credits.
RoseGarden20
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
If you have work experience then they may be able to APEL (accredited prior experiential learning) the missing credits.
Oh, is that what's its officially called. Fingers crossed then. Thanks for replying. You've been very helpful.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (265)
56.62%
I don't have everything I need (203)
43.38%

Watched Threads