What subject would get me to study psychology for uni?

Watch
happiboi
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
College is starting soon but I’m still not sure if I should be choosing A-levels (psychology, sociology and English Lang) or BTEC health & social care level 3. I want to study psychology for university afterwards but I don’t know which would help me get there: the A-levels or the BTEC health & social care. Which one should I go for?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For the most options available to study psychology at university you would be best taking psychology, biology and one other subject at A level.

A btec health and social care is a good qualification but psychology is an academic degree not a health profession vocational degree.
dyelbro
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by happiboi)
College is starting soon but I’m still not sure if I should be choosing A-levels (psychology, sociology and English Lang) or BTEC health & social care level 3. I want to study psychology for university afterwards but I don’t know which would help me get there: the A-levels or the BTEC health & social care. Which one should I go for?
you need a science biology minimum
i had to drill this into my sisters head just because u chose psychology in a levels doesnt mean they will accept you
HolidayGirl<3
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m literally in the same indecisive position of if I do 2 a levels one btec or 3 a levels and maybe an epq
(Same subject options)

At my interview the advisor told me I could still go to uni with 2 a levels one btec but IMO psychology is a competitive course depending on to what extend you want to take your psychology career too
username3508100
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dyelbro)
you need a science biology minimum
i had to drill this into my sisters head just because u chose psychology in a levels doesnt mean they will accept you
You don't need a science or biology.
I'm studying Psychology at uni and I did Psychology, History and RS at A-Level :dontknow:
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Good choices, imho: Psychology, Sociology, Chemistry, Biology or History.
wispyweetabix
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did Psychology, Chemistry and French
Although you can get away with not doing a science subject like Bio, Chem and Physics or Maths, some Uni's do prefer you to have one of them .
Doing psychology at A-level is pretty useful
codihickin
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Personally I would avoid doing a BTEC, as it only gives you one option. You could end up hating it in your first year of sixth form but you’ve already restricted yourself. I would advise going for the three A levels, because it would give you more options in college as well as at degree level.
Priya_x2002
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Doesn’t rlly matter but do A level psychology at least
charlottelyra
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’ve done both A-level psychology and BTEC health and social. Both can get you onto a psych degree. Health and social is easier but it won’t get you into any of the higher Russel groups. It depends which uni you want to go to really. I’d recommend A Levels because the a level psych content is reflective of the degree content, whereas btec health and social isn’t. If you want something that’s actually going to prepare you for the degree, take the A levels
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (44)
13.06%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (92)
27.3%
I'm a bit unsure (60)
17.8%
I'm finding things difficult (112)
33.23%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (29)
8.61%

Watched Threads