Watch
JessPhilosophy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi All,

Good luck with applications!

Ice breaker information would be helpful to identify those who are applying for the same course(s):

- Current University:
- Current Course:
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Other universities you’re applying to:

To get the ball rolling:
Current University: RG university in the Midlands
Current Course: BA English and Philosophy
Achieved (or Expected) Grade: First-class honours (77% average for Philosophy)
Prospective Course: MPhil Philosophy, and MPhil History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine (HPSM)
Other universities you’re applying to: Oxford BPhil, UCL MPhil Stud, LSE MSc Philosophy of Science, and Bristol MPhil
Last edited by JessPhilosophy; 1 week ago
petrichororange
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! Super glad to see the school threads getting started even though it's on the earlier side! Can't wait to get through the application season with all of you!

Current university: I graduated in May 2020 but somewhere in America (don't want to get too specific, don't want it to be too identifying!)
Achieved grade: I think my GPA is equivalent to a 2.1 or maybe a first-class? I'm not quite sure, the internet had differing answers haha
Prospective course: MPhil in Epidemiology or Public Health, not 100% sure yet but leaning towards Epidemiology
Other Universities you're applying to: Oxford, UCL, Imperial College London, and King's College London in the UK. Outside of the UK, I'm applying to UCLA, UCSD, Brown, Yale, and Columbia! Oxford & Cambridge are definitely my first choice though!
JessPhilosophy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Thanks petrichororange. Good luck!
Last edited by JessPhilosophy; 1 week ago
SenecaYounger
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there!
-Undergrad: BA Accounting and Finance
- Achieved Grade: First-class honours
- Prospective Course: MPhil Real Estate Finance
-Professional experience in Real Estate Development and REITs/ Property Funds
- Submitted 03/09
Last edited by SenecaYounger; 1 week ago
psychapplicant1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hooray! I'm excited

- Current University: Australian GO8 (similar to RG)
- Current Course: Psychology Honours
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First Class
- Prospective Course: MPhil Medical Science (Psychiatry)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford, UCL, Harvard, Berkeley, Yale, Columbia (Cambridge is my no 1 choice though!)
strangewwways
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

- Current University: Exeter University (last year)
- Current Course: BA English
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MPhil Heritage Studies
petrichororange
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It looks like the programs I was looking at, the MPhil in Epidemiology and the MPhil in Public Health are no longer being offered next year! Looks like the MPhil in Population Health Sciences is going to be the closest thing. I'm waiting for the course page to get posted (it says it's still under review) to make sure it's a good fit before applying; I'm intrigued as to what that's going to entail!
Pulchritudinous!
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Right, I'm putting aside imposter syndrome and taking the plunge:

- Prospective Course: I'm applying for the PhD in History! I applied a couple of years ago but didn't get funding (though I was nominated). Hopefully now I have my Masters results and some professional experience, I might stand out a little more.

- Other Universities you’re applying to: Nothing concrete yet, but Oxford and Bristol are definitely on the list.

By the way, is anyone else having a problem with the Applicant Portal? Every time I try to log in it tells me they've encountered an error. I've sent an email to postgrad admissions but also want to check if this is a problem on my end or if other people are experiencing technical difficulties.
bitsbobsbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Currently studying mathematical sciences in Ireland, expected to achieve a first.
Will be applying for the MPhil in History & Philosophy of Science so at the moment I am trying to get all my application materials together.
Looking forward to getting through this application season with you all
Last edited by bitsbobsbubbles; 2 weeks ago
bitsbobsbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Pulchritudinous!)
Right, I'm putting aside imposter syndrome and taking the plunge:

- Prospective Course: I'm applying for the PhD in History! I applied a couple of years ago but didn't get funding (though I was nominated). Hopefully now I have my Masters results and some professional experience, I might stand out a little more.

- Other Universities you’re applying to: Nothing concrete yet, but Oxford and Bristol are definitely on the list.

By the way, is anyone else having a problem with the Applicant Portal? Every time I try to log in it tells me they've encountered an error. I've sent an email to postgrad admissions but also want to check if this is a problem on my end or if other people are experiencing technical difficulties.
I began my application in the portal yesterday and was having no issues with it so might be on your end
Pulchritudinous!
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bitsbobsbubbles)
I began my application in the portal yesterday and was having no issues with it so might be on your end
Ah, I submitted a request to waive the admission fee (low-income background), so I wonder if I'm not allowed to sign in to the portal until they've confirmed the waiver. OR, I'm forbidden from ever applying for the PhD again
SaraBer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Excited to join this thread:

- Current University: I graduated in 2014 with a Master in Management from ESCP Europe (Paris)
- Current Course: I'm a working professional in the tech industry (silicon valley company, 5+ years of experience as a Business Analyst/Project Manager)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: The system in France doesn't use GPA but I believe my grades do meet the min required for my course.
- Prospective Course: MSt Social Innovation at Cambridge
- Other Universities you’re applying to: None so far, the program at Cambridge is part time and most of the time online which would allow me to continue living in Berlin. If anyone knows of similar programs in other universities please feel free to share.

I am planning to apply to the Social Innovation Masters at Cambridge this fall already and as it will be the first time ever applying to a UK university, I would love some guidance regarding the following:
- How should write my reference letters? What important things should I keep in mind or should be covered in the letters? I am thinking of asking my current manager and my previous manager, both work in the tech industry and therefore I wonder if these references will be deemed relevant for a Social Innovation course.
- How should I choose my college? Other than choosing a college with several alumni from the program, is there anything else that I should take into account?
- Any other advice to help with my application? This represents my dream program and I really really want to do everything possible to get in. Aside from my tech job, I have founded a small NGO 3 years ago (education focused) and joining the program could be a real game changer for my organisation too.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying!

Sara
princessmegan
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SaraBer)
Hi everyone,

Excited to join this thread:

- Current University: I graduated in 2014 with a Master in Management from ESCP Europe (Paris)
- Current Course: I'm a working professional in the tech industry (silicon valley company, 5+ years of experience as a Business Analyst/Project Manager)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: The system in France doesn't use GPA but I believe my grades do meet the min required for my course.
- Prospective Course: MSt Social Innovation at Cambridge
- Other Universities you’re applying to: None so far, the program at Cambridge is part time and most of the time online which would allow me to continue living in Berlin. If anyone knows of similar programs in other universities please feel free to share.

I am planning to apply to the Social Innovation Masters at Cambridge this fall already and as it will be the first time ever applying to a UK university, I would love some guidance regarding the following:
- How should write my reference letters? What important things should I keep in mind or should be covered in the letters? I am thinking of asking my current manager and my previous manager, both work in the tech industry and therefore I wonder if these references will be deemed relevant for a Social Innovation course.
- How should I choose my college? Other than choosing a college with several alumni from the program, is there anything else that I should take into account?
- Any other advice to help with my application? This represents my dream program and I really really want to do everything possible to get in. Aside from my tech job, I have founded a small NGO 3 years ago (education focused) and joining the program could be a real game changer for my organisation too.

Thanks in advance and best of luck to everyone applying!

Sara
Hello Sara!

Regarding your references, you should check on your course page the requirements. Mine, for example, requires a academic referee, rather than a professional.
In my opinion, the main reason to choose a college is the funding. Use the Cambridge funding search tool, as well as take a look at each college page, to check the funding opportunities you are eligible to. Many of them requires acceptance (or at least pointing as 1st choice) in order to apply.
SaraBer
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by princessmegan)
Hello Sara!

Regarding your references, you should check on your course page the requirements. Mine, for example, requires a academic referee, rather than a professional.
In my opinion, the main reason to choose a college is the funding. Use the Cambridge funding search tool, as well as take a look at each college page, to check the funding opportunities you are eligible to. Many of them requires acceptance (or at least pointing as 1st choice) in order to apply.
That's good to know, thank you!

I think since my last course was in 2014, I am able to provide only professional references. This is what they say in the program requirements:

We understand that many applicants have been out of the formal education space for a considerable amount of time. If this is the case, we will accept two professional references. As a guideline – we would expect at least one academic reference if five years or less has passed since graduating from your last academic course.
JessPhilosophy
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jdfutter)
Thanks for starting this! Just began my PhD application and am so glad to have found this forum and thread. About me:

- Current University: Cambridge Uni, Selwyn College
- Current Course: MSt Creative Writing
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: currently at a Distinction but I may ruin it all with my dissertation!
- Prospective Course: PhD English
- Other Universities you’re applying to: am applying bc of a supervisor I'm interested in, so unless I find someone else at another uni...this may be it! Potentially may have found someone at Oxford and at UCL, but my first and only choice atm is the prospective supervisor I have in mind at Cambridge
Good luck! I'm sure if you work at it, you'll get there.
Sam547
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey everyone!

A few months ago I collected some data about college admission statistics for postgraduates. I hope this can be useful to you guys too (please feel free to share this with anybody you like).

You can find the post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...=#post87870422

The main point is to NOT choose the most popular colleges for your second preference. Instead, put down a college that you would be happy to study at and also gives you a resonable chance to be accepted, if your first choice doesn't work out.

Wishing you all good luck with your applications
petrichororange
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sam547)
Hey everyone!

A few months ago I collected some data about college admission statistics for postgraduates. I hope this can be useful to you guys too (please feel free to share this with anybody you like).

You can find the post here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...=#post87870422

The main point is to NOT choose the most popular colleges for your second preference. Instead, put down a college that you would be happy to study at and also gives you a resonable chance to be accepted, if your first choice doesn't work out.

Wishing you all good luck with your applications
This is so helpful, thank you so much! Amazing that you did all that work wow! Thank you for sharing
Sfaradi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone !!!

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial

I have a small doubt, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me!!!

Basically, the deadline for the course is Feb. 10th 2021. But does it work on a rolling basis? Or do they wait till February?

Also, am I heavily affedted if I haven't got research experience? What if I had work experience instead?

Thanks in advance!!!
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi everyone!

- Current University: A Uk BPS-accredited uni ranked in the 10-20th range
- Current Course: BSc Psychology
- Prospective Course: MPhil Education (Psychology and Education)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Just UCL, not many universities offer a similar programme

Any advice with regards to college applications? They all seem great to me, just that I would much prefer one that is en-suite and has a kitchen. Many colleges offer both non en-suite and en-suite rooms but it doesn't look like we can pick the room type at this stage?

Also when does everyone plan to submit their applications?
SaxaDeans
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by wesgwl)
Hi everyone!

- Current University: A Uk BPS-accredited uni ranked in the 10-20th range
- Current Course: BSc Psychology
- Prospective Course: MPhil Education (Psychology and Education)
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Just UCL, not many universities offer a similar programme

Any advice with regards to college applications? They all seem great to me, just that I would much prefer one that is en-suite and has a kitchen. Many colleges offer both non en-suite and en-suite rooms but it doesn't look like we can pick the room type at this stage?

Also when does everyone plan to submit their applications?
Hi! I'm applying for MPhil Education (Arts, Creativity & Education). I know its a stereotype for those who study Education but have you looked at Homerton? It is the closest college to Faculty of Education, it's literally right beside it. According to google maps, Downing is the 2nd closet college which is 24 minutes walk away. Also, they have ensuite, self-catering purpose build accommodation for postgrads, which looks relatively new on the website.

But like a lot of colleges, they have cheaper and more expensive rooms, so what you get will depend on what you pay for. Also, Homerton says they can't guarantee accommodation to anyone who meets there offer after July. In my opinion, I could be wrong but honestly, It seems a bit of a lottery at most colleges, as in you don't know what you're going to be allocated until you get it. All one seems to be able to do is make an informed decision and pick one that does offer the type of accommodation you want and hope for the best! Also, take into consideration that some colleges offer off-site accommodation, particularly at postgrad level, which you may not want to be at risk of being allocated.

People do education at loads of different colleges but I'm going to put Homerton as my first choice. It has everything I want except being postgrad/mature only. So my second choice will be a postgrad/mature only college (I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards Wolfson right now). I don't know if choosing Homerton for Education puts one at a disadvantage, in that it could be more competitive then choosing another college. But, I'm going to take that chance though, I'm more worried about getting a place on the course. I would like an en-suite too though lol!

I'm still doing my undergrad so I plan to submit my application late in November. Mainly because I want to ask my dissertation supervisor to be one of my referees but I haven't been assigned one yet. Applications for my course are being accessed in two batches and the 3rd of Dec is the first deadline so I hope to get mine in before that. This course is my first choice so I'm planning to get my applications in by order of preference. I've none of my applications started yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (53)
13.8%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (51)
13.28%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (144)
37.5%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (42)
10.94%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (73)
19.01%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
5.47%

Watched Threads