Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Watch
bookworm0604
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! Is anyone else applying for the MPhil in Medieval and Renaissance Literature?
henry1999
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
- Current University: New College of the Humanities
- Current Course: English with Economics
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st/74.4%
- Prospective Course: MPhil English Studies: Modern and Contemporary Literature
- Other Universities you’re applying to: LSE, KCL, and Royal Holloway.
JessPhilosophy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by bitsbobsbubbles)
Currently studying mathematical sciences in Ireland, expected to achieve a first.
Will be applying for the MPhil in History & Philosophy of Science so at the moment I am trying to get all my application materials together.
Looking forward to getting through this application season with you all
Good luck! You’re applying to one of the courses I will be too.
wesgwl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SaxaDeans)
Hi! I'm applying for MPhil Education (Arts, Creativity & Education). I know its a stereotype for those who study Education but have you looked at Homerton? It is the closest college to Faculty of Education, it's literally right beside it. According to google maps, Downing is the 2nd closet college which is 24 minutes walk away. Also, they have ensuite, self-catering purpose build accommodation for postgrads, which looks relatively new on the website.

But like a lot of colleges, they have cheaper and more expensive rooms, so what you get will depend on what you pay for. Also, Homerton says they can't guarantee accommodation to anyone who meets there offer after July. In my opinion, I could be wrong but honestly, It seems a bit of a lottery at most colleges, as in you don't know what you're going to be allocated until you get it. All one seems to be able to do is make an informed decision and pick one that does offer the type of accommodation you want and hope for the best! Also, take into consideration that some colleges offer off-site accommodation, particularly at postgrad level, which you may not want to be at risk of being allocated.

People do education at loads of different colleges but I'm going to put Homerton as my first choice. It has everything I want except being postgrad/mature only. So my second choice will be a postgrad/mature only college (I'm not sure yet but I'm leaning towards Wolfson right now). I don't know if choosing Homerton for Education puts one at a disadvantage, in that it could be more competitive then choosing another college. But, I'm going to take that chance though, I'm more worried about getting a place on the course. I would like an en-suite too though lol!

I'm still doing my undergrad so I plan to submit my application late in November. Mainly because I want to ask my dissertation supervisor to be one of my referees but I haven't been assigned one yet. Applications for my course are being accessed in two batches and the 3rd of Dec is the first deadline so I hope to get mine in before that. This course is my first choice so I'm planning to get my applications in by order of preference. I've none of my applications started yet.
Ah I see, guess we're in a similar situation. I've got one academic referee so far and I'm hoping to get my dissertation supervisor as my second referee but I have yet to meet her at all due to covid. I read that applications close when places are filled, but does that mean they consider applications per batch and not by date of submission? Meaning to say as long as I submit it by December it will be assessed together with everyone else who submitted it in Sept? Was worried I would be too late and have been trying to rush the application but if thats the case I know I have a little more time on my hands to work on the written task.

Also I've picked Homerton and Downing Image
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show

Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Good luck to everyone applying for next year.

After selecting the course, don't forget to think about your College preference. We have seen year after year that some applicants end up regretting being “pooled” or allocated a College that they don't want, but they did not think College choice was important.

Please think about the type of College or community that you would want to be part of. Yes, Cambridge colleges are more similar than different. However, there are subtle differences that may appeal to one person and not to the other.

Some features to think about:
1. Size: Large, Medium or Small
2. Proximity: close to your department or other places you might fancy
3. College costs
4. Whether the College provides post-graduate accommodation and where they are located
5. Facilities: sports, academic, welfare etc.
6. Age: Ancient or modern
7. Aesthetics: Please note that many postgrads dont get to live in the College‘s main site.

Obviously some people may not mind where they end up, but some seem to do. If you are part of the latter group, please consider your choices before selecting your preferences.

Finally, please know that Kings, Trinity and St John’s are among the most-selected preferences, so competition to those Colleges are fierce and many people miss out. You may be better place to select another College rather than “waste” a choice.

Some links for you:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TMk2c6Kh_z8

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1T42ex43u48&t=127s

https://www.postgraduate.study.cam.a...les_2019_0.pdf

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyJDV6igLk

Good luck.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Sfaradi)
Hi everyone !!!

- Current University: Durham Uni
- Current Course: Electrical & Electronic Engineering
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 80% in Year 1; 75.8% in Year 2; Expected 1st Class overall
- Prospective Course: MPhil Advanced Computer Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Imperial

I have a small doubt, and I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me!!!

Basically, the deadline for the course is Feb. 10th 2021. But does it work on a rolling basis? Or do they wait till February?

Also, am I heavily affedted if I haven't got research experience? What if I had work experience instead?

Thanks in advance!!!
Some courses are rolling and others are not. You would have to check the course details to see the approach used by the Course Director.

I don't think you will be negatively impacted if you don't have research experience unless there is an explicit demand for such experience. Good luck
SaxaDeans
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by wesgwl)
Ah I see, guess we're in a similar situation. I've got one academic referee so far and I'm hoping to get my dissertation supervisor as my second referee but I have yet to meet her at all due to covid. I read that applications close when places are filled, but does that mean they consider applications per batch and not by date of submission? Meaning to say as long as I submit it by December it will be assessed together with everyone else who submitted it in Sept? Was worried I would be too late and have been trying to rush the application but if thats the case I know I have a little more time on my hands to work on the written task.

Also I've picked Homerton and Downing Image
I don't really know, but how it's written on the website (for both of our courses) is that it is done in batches. Therefore, there doesn't seem much of a disadvantage not applying September/October. I really won't be able to apply until November.

What the website says:
"Applications are considered in two batches; firstly after the 3rd December and then after the application deadline of 28th February. It is possible that some applications from the first batch are held for consideration in the second batch. This route may fill up well ahead of the advertised closing date. You are advised to apply by the December deadline if possible. Interviews are conducted in person or via Skype."

Perhaps someone familiar with the Faculty of Education admissions will see this and enlighten us?
kukulaka
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi everyone, terrified to be applying. The course looks amazing though.

Current University: Lancaster University
- Current Course: Earth and Environmental science. My situation is a strange one as I've also worked as a data analyst and senior software developer for the last 15 years too. I really hope to combine my programming background with earth sciences.
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: high 2.1 or first. My health hasn't been great, so I'll see what happens.
- Prospective Course: 1+ 3 DTP AI for the study of Environmental Risks
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Am trying to decide at the moment. Lancaster and possibly Bristol, but don't want to overstretch myself
Livontheedge
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi y'all!
To everyone that is scared of applying, don't be! I was too, and put off applying last year until the last minute, which resulted in me getting admitted but being pooled by a college I wasn't happy with. So go for it and don't wait the last minute!

- Current University: Top 50 liberal arts college in the US (I graduated in May)
- Current Course: BA in Politics, currently working for an international public health NGO in Africa
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 3.96/4.00 (Highest honors)
- Prospective Course: MPhil Development studies, MPhil African Studies
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Copenhagen, maybe Berkley? Would love to go back to the US
exlibrisanna
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey all,
I've been watching last year's thread for awhile, glad we have one of our own now!

Current University: Graduated from Newcastle Uni in 2018
- Current Course: MA History of Medicine (Complete)
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: Achieved 74.6 (Distinction)
- Prospective Course: PhD History and Philosophy of Science
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Still developing my list, Cambridge has by far the earliest deadlines for international students who want funding!

I've been out of academia for a couple of years and working in a field unrelated to my studies, so fingers crossed I can get back into the game this next year!
forevajellie
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone, really excited but nervous about applying, looking forward to meeting more applicants here! Current University: King's College LondonCurrent Course: BSc NutritionAchieved (Expected) Grade: FirstProspective Course: MPhil Population Health SciencesOther Universities you’re applying to: Oxford, KCL, UCLAs MPhil PHS is a new course to replace MPhil Epidemiology and MPhil Public Health, I wonder how competitive it would be!
k.sol
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who is reapplying because he could not secure any funding opportunity last year? Thank you.
Livontheedge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by k.sol)
Hi everyone,

Is there anyone who is reapplying because he could not secure any funding opportunity last year? Thank you.
Kind of? I applied late last year so the funding deadline had passed, and it was part of the reason why I didn't take up my place. I am struggling to figure out much I am supposed to change my application (although it might be different for you as I have never been considered for funding!). Also, did you notice that resubmit application button on the portal?
k.sol
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Livontheedge)
Kind of? I applied late last year so the funding deadline had passed, and it was part of the reason why I didn't take up my place. I am struggling to figure out much I am supposed to change my application (although it might be different for you as I have never been considered for funding!). Also, did you notice that resubmit application button on the portal?
Yes, I did. That's why I am actually asking .. Do we need to hit that submit button and then the reason would be no funding? It is quite reasonable, I guess.
Livontheedge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by k.sol)
Yes, I did. That's why I am actually asking .. Do we need to hit that submit button and then the reason would be no funding? It is quite reasonable, I guess.
Not sure? Like I am afraid that will look like we slacked and didn't write another application? But i am not sure haha I can try and email GAO about it and see what they say
wsy2115
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there, I am a student from Sydney University, Australia. Should get my first-class degree at the end of 2020. Hope I can get a chance for interview and admission. By the way, is there any student who also applied for MPhil in Engineering?

- Current University: University of Sydney
- Current Course: Civil Engineering (structure)
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade:84.5 (first class expected)
- Prospective Course: MPhil in Engineering
- Other universities you’re applying to: Imperial College and UCL, but they have not opened their application yet
goldhazel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So glad to find this thread!
I received an offer from Cambridge for Fall 2020 but I had to decline it because my undergrad degree got delayed because of covid
Have started on 2021's application!

-Current University - University of Mumbai, India
-Current Course - Bachelor of Mass Media (Journalism)
-Expected Grade - GPA 8.5/10
-Prospective Course - MPhil in Sociology (Sociology of Media and Culture)
-Other Universities I'm Applying To - Oxford, LSE, UCL, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, Harvard, UChicago, Uni of Amsterdam, PSL, KU Leuven
k.sol
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by goldhazel)
So glad to find this thread!
I received an offer from Cambridge for Fall 2020 but I had to decline it because my undergrad degree got delayed because of covid
Have started on 2021's application!

-Current University - University of Mumbai, India
-Current Course - Bachelor of Mass Media (Journalism)
-Expected Grade - GPA 8.5/10
-Prospective Course - MPhil in Sociology (Sociology of Media and Culture)
-Other Universities I'm Applying To - Oxford, LSE, UCL, UPenn, Yale, Columbia, Harvard, UChicago, Uni of Amsterdam, PSL, KU Leuven
Hi there. Kind of same position here but it was because of lack of funding opportunities.

Have you started your application all over again or you got that "resubmit" button?
goldhazel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by k.sol)
Hi there. Kind of same position here but it was because of lack of funding opportunities.

Have you started your application all over again or you got that "resubmit" button?
Nope, I'm starting all over again. Didn't know about it, but am anyway hoping to submit a better application now. You?
k.sol
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by goldhazel)
Nope, I'm starting all over again. Didn't know about it, but am anyway hoping to submit a better application now. You?
I am not sure. But anyway I am applying this year putting my eye closer on the available scholarships. I am applying for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
Last edited by k.sol; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (88)
21.62%
No (319)
78.38%

Watched Threads