Official Cambridge Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Watch
goldhazel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by k.sol)
I am not sure. But anyway I am applying this year putting my eye closer on the available scholarships. I am applying for a PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
Ooh good luck! Are you from the UK or are you an international applicant?
k.sol
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by goldhazel)
Ooh good luck! Are you from the UK or are you an international applicant?
International ... Egyptian ^_^
bitsbobsbubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JessPhilosophy)
Good luck! You’re applying to one of the courses I will be too.
Amazing! Best of luck to you too How many samples of work do you think you'll submit? I don't want to go too little or too much so I'm unsure of how many to put in....
JessPhilosophy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by bitsbobsbubbles)
Amazing! Best of luck to you too How many samples of work do you think you'll submit? I don't want to go too little or too much so I'm unsure of how many to put in....
I’ll be sending in two, approx 2k words each
bitsbobsbubbles
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JessPhilosophy)
I’ll be sending in two, approx 2k words each
Oh amazing, that's reassuring. I was originally thinking two but one kind of builds on the other so I was worried they would be too similar. I'm working on another paper at the moment but I don't know if it will be up to scratch in time to send in because I want to have everything gone and submitted by October....guess I'll just wait and see how it all goes
Pulchritudinous!
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has anyone who applied for an application fee waiver heard back? Not that there's any rush to apply, but I'm otherwise ready to hit 'submit'.
goldhazel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Amazing how people are ready to apply, I'm doing this for the second time and still don't think I'll be ready before November
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For people who've applied before, how long/ when do you normally get any update on the application? And do they conduct interviews for all programmes? I'm thinking of applying for another programme at a different uni as a backup/ alternative but would prefer holding on for a bit if I am able to
goldhazel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by wesgwl)
For people who've applied before, how long/ when do you normally get any update on the application? And do they conduct interviews for all programmes? I'm thinking of applying for another programme at a different uni as a backup/ alternative but would prefer holding on for a bit if I am able to
Usually they get back to you within six weeks but response time really differs across departments. I applied to the department of sociology, sent in my application in December, was informed in February that my application has been put on hold and that I'll be given a final decision in May. Then I got my offer in May, after 24 weeks. That was the longest I'd heard ever though, so unless you get the waitlist email like I did, six to eight weeks would be the norm. However, they might get to applications after the December deadline so an expectation by February week 1 sounds more than fair.
Idkbro
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I am an international student starting my third year, I sent out my app today
- Current University: KCL
- Current Course: BSc Politics
- Achieved (or Expected) Grade: Expected First (72% first year, 70% second year)
- Prospective Course: MPhil Development Studies
- Other universities you’re applying to: Might apply to LSE and UCL
- Hobbies/Extra-curriculars (adding this one): I volunteer and work with different NGOs since I am 15, working in the community of which I'm native to, I also love reading/writing about Latin America (born and raised), and I train dogs!
Last edited by Idkbro; 1 week ago
wesgwl
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by goldhazel)
Usually they get back to you within six weeks but response time really differs across departments. I applied to the department of sociology, sent in my application in December, was informed in February that my application has been put on hold and that I'll be given a final decision in May. Then I got my offer in May, after 24 weeks. That was the longest I'd heard ever though, so unless you get the waitlist email like I did, six to eight weeks would be the norm. However, they might get to applications after the December deadline so an expectation by February week 1 sounds more than fair.
Thanks! Did you have to undergo an interview?
wsy2115
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did not apply before. But as far as I concern, interview is not always needed. It depends on your program.
goldhazel
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nope!
bookworm0604
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is anyone's application (specifically English Literature related) under review by department yet?
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by bookworm0604)
Is anyone's application (specifically English Literature related) under review by department yet?
Faculty isn't even really working right now; I wouldn't expect much if any progression until term starts up in October
doori.maryam
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SaraBer)
That's good to know, thank you!

I think since my last course was in 2014, I am able to provide only professional references. This is what they say in the program requirements:

We understand that many applicants have been out of the formal education space for a considerable amount of time. If this is the case, we will accept two professional references. As a guideline – we would expect at least one academic reference if five years or less has passed since graduating from your last academic course.
Oh Sara, that is a great piece of information that I've missed! I've got my MA in 2014 as well... So was extremely worried about the Academic references!
I am so glad I read this here. Makes me feel way better! .. Have you double checked though with anyone from admissions?
doori.maryam
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seems that I got too excited and replied to Sara before introducing myself.

Here is a bit about me:

I am actually an Architect, and got my MA degree in 2014 from Oxford Brookes University in International Architectural Regeneration and Development.

- Achieved : Excellent in Bachelors and Merit in the Masters
- Prospective Course: PhD in Architecture
- Other universities you’re applying to: Focusing all my efforts on Cambridge - but planning to apply to Bath as well.

I am currently at the stage of contacting a supervisor.. ! ... So excited to start this journey!...
Last edited by doori.maryam; 1 week ago
Majorette2018
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Wondering when to apply considered late, especially for Econ and Finance? Would Dec/Jan be too late?
histmphil96
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Majorette2018)
Wondering when to apply considered late, especially for Econ and Finance? Would Dec/Jan be too late?
If you want funding, any time before the deadline is fine. It won't matter.
Psycholtee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SaxaDeans)
I don't really know, but how it's written on the website (for both of our courses) is that it is done in batches. Therefore, there doesn't seem much of a disadvantage not applying September/October. I really won't be able to apply until November.

What the website says:
"Applications are considered in two batches; firstly after the 3rd December and then after the application deadline of 28th February. It is possible that some applications from the first batch are held for consideration in the second batch. This route may fill up well ahead of the advertised closing date. You are advised to apply by the December deadline if possible. Interviews are conducted in person or via Skype."

Perhaps someone familiar with the Faculty of Education admissions will see this and enlighten us?
Hi both, I am about to start the education and psychology Mphil at Cambridge and am happy to answer any questions relating to the application process. I applied before the December deadline as wanted to have the option for my application to be open for funding. I submitted my application in November of last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (87)
21.48%
No (318)
78.52%

Watched Threads