The Student Room Group

Official UCL Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Ice breaker information to get the ball rolling:

Are you currently a student?
Are you a UK applicant? If not, which country are you from?
Current (or Last) University:
Current (or Last) Course:
Achieved (Expected) Grade:
Prospective Course:
Other Universities you’re applying to:

Disclaimer: Please note, unless stated otherwise, posters on this thread do not work for UCL's admissions department, therefore do not take our opinion as being 100% accurate. If you need certainty, contact UCL directly.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Very excited to chat over here too, even though it looks like applications don't open for a while!

Current University: Somewhere in America!
Current course: Political Science
Achieved grade: I believe the equivalent of a 2.1!
Prospective course: MSc Population Health
Other universities applying to: Oxford MSc, Cambridge MPhil, King's College London MPH, Imperial College London either MPH or MSc & in America Columbia, Yale, Brown, UCSD, UCLA (all MPH)

Good luck all! I hope we all get into our top choices!
-Current University: working/ latest uni in Japan - Current Course: Development - Achieved (Expected) Grade: 3.7 - Prospective Course: MSc development planning and admin - Other Universities you’re applying to: UCL, Sussex, LSE I had applied to UCL, Sussex and LSE two years ago. Got into UCL and Sussex. Let’s see how it goes this time !
- Current University: North England
- Current Course: Genetics
- Expected grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: Child Health Research MRes, Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology MRes
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Birbeck, Edinburgh, Queen Mary’s, Bath, NYU, Albert Einstein College, Boston and Heidelberg.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
- Current University: Deccan College, India
- Current Course: MA Archaeology
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: O(75%+ expected)
- Prospective Course: MSc Palaeolithic Archaeology and Palaeonanthropology
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxbridge

Anyone else here applying to the Institute of Archaeology this year? And how long does UCL take to send decisions? Say if someone applies by the last week of this month, when can she expect to hear back?
I'm thinking of applying at around January/February time for the International Public Policy course. Do you think applying at around that time is considered late? The reason I'm doing this is because I have some work experience planned so I want to do that to make a richer personal statement.
Am I too early applying to the Child Health MRes programme as I am only seeing 2020 entry information and not 2021 entry.
Original post by inquisitivethong
Am I too early applying to the Child Health MRes programme as I am only seeing 2020 entry information and not 2021 entry.

Yes! I know my program doesn't open for applications until November 9, I believe most if not all programs open applications in November.
Original post by petrichororange
Yes! I know my program doesn't open for applications until November 9, I believe most if not all programs open applications in November.

Yeah - I found out earlier today. I am just currently getting my reference into place. I will start drafting my personal statement from next week.
Original post by JessPhilosophy
My understanding is that UCL consider their postgraduate applications on a rolling basis, and some course deadlines can close earlier than expected if places are full. But don’t quote me on it as there may be a degree of variation between the departments.

Do you think places at top universities will be more limited now due to many people deferring their place from last year? I know LSE didn’t allow deferrals but I’m not sure about UCL. I also heard that some universities are prepared to have more spaces available on their course because of COVID (but I don’t know if that’s true).
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 10
Does UCL instruct sending IELTS test scores directly to them(by the organisation who we took the test with), or rather as a scan of the test report and the TRF number at the time of applying?
I'm planning on applying to both the MSc in Machine Learning and the MSc in Computational Statistics and Machine Learning. I'll be pursuing a second MSc. The applications aren't open yet but here's my info:
- Graduated in 2020 from Heriot-Watt University
- Course: Msc Artificial Intelligence
- Grade: 2:1
- Other Universities you’re applying to: ICL, Queen Mary
(edited 3 years ago)
- Current University: Somewhere in South England
- Current Course: BSc Psychology
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2:1 (hoping for a first!)
- Prospective Course: MRes Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology
- Other Universities you’re applying to: KCL, Oxford, Columbia (USA), NYU (USA)
Original post by inquisitivethong
- Current University: North England
- Current Course: Genetics
- Expected grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: Child Health Research MRes, Developmental Neuroscience and Psychopathology MRes
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Birbeck, Edinburgh, Queen Mary’s (maybe Bristol/Durham)

I'll be applying to DNP too! Just wondering if you can access the webpage from the department? It gives me a UCL sign-on message for current students but it's course info for prospective students...
Original post by madeofcolour
I'll be applying to DNP too! Just wondering if you can access the webpage from the department? It gives me a UCL sign-on message for current students but it's course info for prospective students...

Hey !
Their applications for the course doesn’t opened until the 9th November I
Original post by JessPhilosophy
Ice breaker information to get the ball rolling:

- Current University:
- Current Course:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Other Universities you’re applying to:

- Current University: University of Helsinki
- Current Course: English
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 2.1/1st
- Prospective Course: looking at the English masters courses
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford, Edinburgh, Glasgow
- Current University: National Taiwan University
- Current Course: double major in Foreign Languages and Literatures & Psychology
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st (3.97/4.3)
- Prospective Course: MSc Industrial/ Organisational and Business Psychology
- Other Universities you’re applying to: Oxford MSc Applied Linguistics & SLA, LSE MSc Organisational and Social Psychology & Social and Public Communication, University of Manchester MSc Business Psychology
I'm going to be applying as a mature student, so am currently working. I graduated with a 2:1 in BSc (Hons) Psychology, years ago.

- Prospective Course: MSc Speech and Language Sciences
- Other Universities you’re applying to: City University
Just as a heads up UCL has increased the price of some of its courses. A lot of degrees that cost £12000-£14000 have been increased to £16000
Current University: recent politics graduate from Newcastle, currently studying my PGCE
- Current Course: politics (graduated)
- Achieved Grade: First
- Prospective Course: MA Education / Social Policy

Quick Reply

Latest