The Student Room Group

Official UCL Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesli322
Just called admissions and they mentioned that I have received a decision for DSML (finally after 3-4months), but they wouldn't let me know over the phone :frown:. So nervous now.

That’s nerve wracking. You’ve applied to all the ML courses right? I did as well excluding DSML.
Original post by Bbles
Just had the most embarrassing interview with ucl someone help :facepalm:

The interview is only a small part of the application process, so don't worry! You still have a good shot at getting an offer
Original post by TuttiFrutti1997
That’s nerve wracking. You’ve applied to all the ML courses right? I did as well excluding DSML.

Yes I did, I'm gonna be happy if I can get into either one!
Reply 1183
Original post by Bbles
Just had the most embarrassing interview with ucl someone help :facepalm:

What interview?
Original post by statsgirl
I had the same problem originally. Try ringing back tomorrow and see if you can talk to someone else; the second person I spoke to told me I was recommended for an offer and it was such a relief. My portal updated yesterday and took a couple of weeks to do so after finding out over the phone - the wait is awful but hope this helps.

thanks for the tip, i think tmr i will email the department as well to see if I could know early.

Did you call during morning or afternoon?
I only applied to ML but am worried since it's so competitive, is it too late to apply to DSML & CSML in everyone's opinion?
Original post by beyondconfused
I only applied to ML but am worried since it's so competitive, is it too late to apply to DSML & CSML in everyone's opinion?

Go for it, trying doesn’t hurt! :smile:

One tip for applying - show them you know the syllabus! Put the module name on UCL module catalogue and it will tell you the syllabus. For Gatsby modules you can even google the lecture notes. I think including your module choices in the personal statement do help with your application. Btw, some DSML modules are actually available to undergraduate students - I myself have taken STAT0010 Forecasting this year.
Reply 1188
Has anyone receive feedback yet?
Woke up this morning to find I have received an unconditional offer at IOE! MRes Social Research. My offer came in 6 weeks to the day of them receiving my references
Has anyone heard back from MSc Statistics?
Original post by anonymous1122
Has anyone heard back from MSc Statistics?

Nope, even though they said id hear within couple of weeks a few weeks ago. When i call the admissions they just tell me to expect soon aswell but i know my application got past to department some time in feb, ive accepted my first choice uni offer anyway
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1192
Original post by lizziec1996
Woke up this morning to find I have received an unconditional offer at IOE! MRes Social Research. My offer came in 6 weeks to the day of them receiving my references

congratulations
Hi, has anyone heard back from MSc Cognitive Neuroscience?
Reply 1194

I am not sure if you would be at any advantage by applying to the other courses. Looking at the admissions statistics for the last few years (https://www.admissionreport.com/search?q=Machine+Learning&school=3), it seems like ML and CSML are fairly comparable, while DSML is the most competitive.

This does raise another question though - who is UCL trying to appeal to with these three different courses? They all appear very similar to me, apart from a few subtle differences in the range of compulsory/optional modules available.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by lizziec1996

CONGRATS! I'm waiting back from IOE too.
Has been 1 month (or 4 weeks) since all references are submitted, and my application status is still like this:
Your references have been received and your application has been initially assessed.

Does this mean that the Admissions haven't started processing my documents? Or is this status consistent throughout the application process?
Original post by fwm98
I am not sure if you would be at any advantage by applying to the other courses. Looking at the admissions statistics for the last few years (https://www.admissionreport.com/search?q=Machine+Learning&school=3), it seems like ML and CSML are fairly comparable, while DSML is the most competitive.

This does raise another question though - who is UCL trying to appeal to with these three different courses? They all appear very similar to me, apart from a few subtle differences in the range of compulsory/optional modules available.

They finally updated the admission statistics for 20/21 entry, and it seems like there are a massive reduction of applicants possibly due to COVID?

But I suspect there would be more applicants for 21/22 to balance that out.
Original post by EricEK
Has been 1 month (or 4 weeks) since all references are submitted, and my application status is still like this:
Your references have been received and your application has been initially assessed.

Does this mean that the Admissions haven't started processing my documents? Or is this status consistent throughout the application process?

Mine is still like this too. It's been exactly a month for me like this. I'm going to wait another 1-2 weeks then call and see where my app is at. I've seen plenty of people post that it changes from initially assessed to processed then changes to a decision a few days later. What program did you apply for?
Original post by fwm98

30% for ML vs 44% vs CSML? Still a reasonably big difference, no? Or are my figures wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending