The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Official LSE Postgraduate Applicants 2021 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by chingyi71
Hi! Has anyone been put on the waiting list recently? My application was processed on 11/10, and on 11/13, I was informed that I am currently on the waiting list of my programme... Don't know if it's a good sign or not, since it took only 3 days for the consideration, I thought it would have taken longer...

Hi!

Do you mind telling us which programme you applied to? :smile:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Joe75
Hi!

Do you mind telling us which programme you applied to? :smile:

Sure! It's organisational and social psychology
Hey everyone! Submitted my applications for the MPA and MSc in International Social and Public Policy (Research) a few days ago! Fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by Diplomatic
At the LSE generally? I don't think anyone (unless through exceptional circumstances) has a 2:2 since it's an entry requirement. If you have a low 2:1 + relevant experience I'd say go for it! Definitely seen people with Firsts be rejected over those with 2:1s who are better fits for the programmes (which relevant experience contributes to).

Thank you! Would you know of any exception and on what merit she'd/he'd received an offer?
Reply 64
Sure! It's organisational and social psychology

My guess would be that you were among the first of your programme to apply so the department is probably waiting to assess more applications before deciding whether they want to make you an offer.Hopefully you’ll end up with one. Good luck :smile:
Hi! Has anyone been put on the waiting list recently? My application was processed on 11/10, and on 11/13, I was informed that I am currently on the waiting list of my programme... Don't know if it's a good sign or not, since it took only 3 days for the consideration, I thought it would have taken longer...

I have friends who were admitted for entry this September after being on the waitlist. It shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
I think they probably won't have enough applicants to really make a decision at the moment. It's a bit of an unusual year for uni admissions too...
Hi all! I just sent my application a few days ago.

- University: No-name university in Spain - but with exchanges in top universities (McGill, UC Berkeley, LSE). Graduated in 2019.
- Degree: Dual Degree in International Business and International Relations
- Achieved grade: 8.9/10. I believe the equivalent of a 2:1 or 1:1. For reference, I got 1.1 in my courses at a top UK university and 3.9 GPA in a top US university
- Prospective course: Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Other universities applying to: UCL, Sciences Po

I'm currently working for a tech company (think Facebook, Google...) and I have experience in an international organization. I would like to use the MPA to pivot from digital strategy and business to digital policy. However, I'm not sure quitting my current my job to study would be the best decision, especially given there's a big crisis coming. If I get accepted I might defer or reinstate the application for 2022 if they let me do so.

Any insights on when should I expect a decision from LSE having applied a few days ago? I heard it takes about 8 weeks, but maybe there aren't that many early applicants this year. I'd love to know something by Christmas. Happy to hear your thoughts.
Original post by aspiring92
Hi there! I'm somewhere between a 2.1 and 2.2 for my undergrad degree from a Centre of Excellence, with 4+ years of impressive relevant experience. Do you know anyone who has applied with similar marks and has gotten an offer?

I know some international applicants that received offers from both LSE and Oxford even though they had a low GPA on undergrads. Both of them has an impressive and relevant professional experience.
Original post by politicspro
I know some international applicants that received offers from both LSE and Oxford even though they had a low GPA on undergrads. Both of them has an impressive and relevant professional experience.

Thank you, this is so encouraging. How do you define 'low GPA' in this case?
Original post by Joe75
My guess would be that you were among the first of your programme to apply so the department is probably waiting to assess more applications before deciding whether they want to make you an offer.Hopefully you’ll end up with one. Good luck :smile:

Thank you so much! I thought I was a bit late for the application (since the application was opened in late September), figures crossed :smile:
Original post by DanielRSanchez
I have friends who were admitted for entry this September after being on the waitlist. It shouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
I think they probably won't have enough applicants to really make a decision at the moment. It's a bit of an unusual year for uni admissions too...

Totally agree that it's an unusual year for admissions... Hope the pandemic won't last long. Take care!!
Original post by aspiring92
Thank you, this is so encouraging. How do you define 'low GPA' in this case?

7.0/10.0
Reply 72
Is there anyone applying for MSc Media and Communications? Does your transcript move down?

Hello! This happened to me to - my application for my first choice was placed on waiting list around a week after I submitted. They have sent my application to my second choice and it is now under consideration.

I asked this at the recent Webinar for my course and the Admission Office shared that the application is probably strong enough to be on the waiting list but they need more time to decide. My guess is that there are too few applications to evaluate/compare to and they may need a little more time before they can let us know the final decision.

Fingers crossed! Let us know if there are any updates :smile:
Original post by DanielRSanchez
Hi all! I just sent my application a few days ago.

- University: No-name university in Spain - but with exchanges in top universities (McGill, UC Berkeley, LSE). Graduated in 2019.
- Degree: Dual Degree in International Business and International Relations
- Achieved grade: 8.9/10. I believe the equivalent of a 2:1 or 1:1. For reference, I got 1.1 in my courses at a top UK university and 3.9 GPA in a top US university
- Prospective course: Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Other universities applying to: UCL, Sciences Po

I'm currently working for a tech company (think Facebook, Google...) and I have experience in an international organization. I would like to use the MPA to pivot from digital strategy and business to digital policy. However, I'm not sure quitting my current my job to study would be the best decision, especially given there's a big crisis coming. If I get accepted I might defer or reinstate the application for 2022 if they let me do so.

Any insights on when should I expect a decision from LSE having applied a few days ago? I heard it takes about 8 weeks, but maybe there aren't that many early applicants this year. I'd love to know something by Christmas. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Hey! I also applied for a MPA and actually just received a job offer in a non profit after 8 months of unemployment and am in the same position as you of not sure of letting go of something like that especially after the horrific experience of not being employed for so long. I'll also possibly defer but yeah will have to see once I hear back and know what all my options are.
Reply 75
Hey,

Has anyone tried to call graduate admissions? If so, have you got through? It says online that their lines are not open due to reduced staffing but there is no such message on their phone line and I have been placed in a queue each time, I'm very confused.
Original post by Philosopher2020
Ice breaker information to get the ball rolling:

- Current University:
- Current Course:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Other Universities you’re applying to:

New College of the Humanities
English with Economics
1st
MSc Human Rights and Politics
University of Cambridge; Kings College London
Is anyone applying for the MSc in Finance and Private Equity?
Yeah, that is my second choice. University of Sydney (major: accounting and finance)83.6/100Master of Accounting and Finance / Finance and PE Btw, where are you currently studying?
Reply 79
Hey everyone! :smile:

I applied mid October for MSc Economic History and MSc Political Economy of Late Development and got my application ID on the 29th of October.

Just yesterday, I received an email saying I have been put on the waiting list for my first choice (MSc Economic History) and my application has been passed to selectors for my second choice (MSc PELD).

I'm really hoping the only reason I have been put on a waiting list this early on is to allow the selectors to have a good look at the application pool still to come in as I applied pretty early. It also said my application was strong enough to be put on the waiting list so here's to hoping something pulls through in the future!

Best of luck with applications everyone and let's try to keep each other upbeat through these hard times and the long, nervous waits from LSE admissions! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending