should i apply to a 'worse' university

Watch this thread
colgate10
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
so university A does a placement year which i need the experience to get a job after uni for my doctorate.

but university B is like top 15(other uni is 50th). they havent stated if they do placements or not.

uni A is Aston University.
uni B is Uni of Birmingham
Ryan Brown
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
From what I can tell, Birmingham does do Placement years (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...pbXHK_3hWVBvPG)
manoharr
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by colgate10)
so university A does a placement year which i need the experience to get a job after uni for my doctorate.

but university B is like top 15(other uni is 50th). they havent stated if they do placements or not.

uni A is Aston University.
uni B is Uni of Birmingham
I went to Aston a few years back and on my course literally, everyone who was on my course has got full-time jobs within 6 months. Aston really does push everyone to do placements (I mean everyone in the university) and it honestly helped. Even if you can't find one- they find one for you!!!!! My friend went to LSE and still has no relevant job even after two years of graduating.

If you care about the future and your income- I'd say stick to Aston.

Birmingham University is known for its leading research and being a Russell group but Aston on the other hand is known for extreme employability rates because of their placement year.

if Birmingham University doesn't offer a placement year, what you can do is.... after completing 2nd year of uni, take a gap year and undertake a placement/internship/paid work and then go back to uni a year later.

The thing is if you take a year out and you can't find a placement- Birmingham University won't help you to find one.... so I'd choose wisely.

Find a course that has an integrated placement year in Birmingham Uni or go to Aston.

Hope I helped,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads