The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cloud_9_
Macyyyy the Comeback Queeeen!!!!

Original post by Dapper Fighter
Hi all, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice. I have chosen further maths, maths, chemistry, geography and an EPQ, with the intention of dropping one if it gets too much for me. I hope to become an investment banker one day and have been looking at maths and economic courses at university. Yesterday I was looking at the LSE economics course and they state they want maths, further maths and an essay based subject. they then list appropriate subjects and economics is on this list but not geography. I now wonder if I have made the right decision. Should I take economics A Level? Am I making a bad decision by taking geography? Which is 'better,' geography or economics? I have never considered taking economics because people have always told me it is a 'soft' subject. Also, if 4 A levels became too much would it look really bad applying for an economics degree having dropped economics? Will economics take up way more of my time than geography would have? I am so confused and worried now and have no idea what to do. Any advice whatsoever would be really greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

I'm taking economics for a level. if you are interested in studying it at university level you might want to take it at a level as even though some unis don't ask for it, it would help give you an advantage and would help you decide if an economics degree is right for you. If you don't like it at a level then its better to drop it then, rather than do a degree in economics and drop out.
Original post by Dapper Fighter
Hi all, I would really appreciate it if you could give me some advice. I have chosen further maths, maths, chemistry, geography and an EPQ, with the intention of dropping one if it gets too much for me. I hope to become an investment banker one day and have been looking at maths and economic courses at university. Yesterday I was looking at the LSE economics course and they state they want maths, further maths and an essay based subject. they then list appropriate subjects and economics is on this list but not geography. I now wonder if I have made the right decision. Should I take economics A Level? Am I making a bad decision by taking geography? Which is 'better,' geography or economics? I have never considered taking economics because people have always told me it is a 'soft' subject. Also, if 4 A levels became too much would it look really bad applying for an economics degree having dropped economics? Will economics take up way more of my time than geography would have? I am so confused and worried now and have no idea what to do. Any advice whatsoever would be really greatly appreciated! Many thanks.

To me, it sounds like you should switch geography for economics. You wouldn't have to declare you have dropped it if you did so (however you may want to think carefully about why you dropped it and if you really want to do a 3+ year intense course on it if you didn't enjoy it enough to do it at level- but that's another thing entirely :s-smilie:) and it would be more useful to you than geography potentially. Have you spoken to your school? What do they think?
Wys broskis
GCSE Results: 88776665
A-level subjects: Maths, Chemistry and Physics
Plans for next year: Might join volunteering for personal statement along with work experience, maybe part-time job if I can balance it.
Plans after A-levels: Do civil engineering at university, need to do more research on careers tho.
How was Year 11 for you? Emotional rollercoaster.
Hobbies/Interests: Watching netflix TV shows, premier league (I support chelsea LOL), I watch anime.
How was your lockdown: The cliche 'boring', I thought I would have to end up retaking but nah.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Tnzlr02
Wys broskis
GCSE Results: 66655555 (In my belief I got 87766555 with the amount of work and revision I did). At the end of the day, our year never sat final real exams, all those numbers were purely 'teachers predictions'
A-level subjects: Maths, Chemistry and Physics
Plans for next year: Might join volunteering for personal statement along with work experience, maybe part-time job if I can balance it.
Plans after A-levels: Do civil engineering at university, need to do more research on careers tho.
How was Year 11 for you? Emotional rollercoaster.
Hobbies/Interests: Watching netflix TV shows, premier league (I support chelsea LOL), might start watching anime.
How was your lockdown: The cliche 'boring', I thought I would have to end up retaking but nah.

Yassss Chelsea 🥳🥳
Original post by E3student
I'm taking economics for a level. if you are interested in studying it at university level you might want to take it at a level as even though some unis don't ask for it, it would help give you an advantage and would help you decide if an economics degree is right for you. If you don't like it at a level then its better to drop it then, rather than do a degree in economics and drop out.

Original post by Mynameissecret
To me, it sounds like you should switch geography for economics. You wouldn't have to declare you have dropped it if you did so (however you may want to think carefully about why you dropped it and if you really want to do a 3+ year intense course on it if you didn't enjoy it enough to do it at level- but that's another thing entirely :s-smilie:) and it would be more useful to you than geography potentially. Have you spoken to your school? What do they think?

Thanks to both of you :smile: I have decided to drop geography for econ, school agreed that it was the right choice and fortunately lessons only actually started today! School changed my timetable straight away this morning and so haven't missed any lessons. I think it was the right decision :wink:
GCSE Grades: A*AAAAB (ICT,phys,bio,chem,ESL,Maths(in that order))
Are you satisfied with your grades? Very
What subjects are you studying for A-Levels/BTECs: CIE AS/A level Biology, Maths and Chem was planning to do only AS for IT but decided against it
How are you feeling about starting Year 12? Well so far I don't understand anything lol
Any plans for the next year? Not much
Any plans made yet for what you will do after A-Levels/BTECs?Probably Medicine. Plan B Computer Forensics
How was Year 11 for you? Stressful
Any hobbies/interests? Reading, making friendship bracelets
How was your lockdown? It was fine just sat and braided bracelets

How long do you think it will take to get a CoVid-19 vaccine if there will ever be one?
There might be unless the scientists discover that this pandemic isn't just the cause of one single virus then this might just become the next common cold. It would probably take a year more at its earliest because It typically takes around 5 to 10 years to develop a proper vaccine which is suitable for the whole population of earth ( excluding those who can't get vaccines for medical reasons (immunocompromised) or allegic to it)
Do you like the summer or the winter?
Winter ig
Do you think marmite should be banned?
i dont even know what that is sooo ok?
Do you like Tea or Coffee?
Tea (even tho I don't drink it) ( coffee just makes me sleepy and groggy)
GCSE Grades: not gcse's but IGCSE's idk if that's the same thing or not A*AAAAB (ICT,phys,bio,chem,ESL,Maths(in that order))
Are you satisfied with your grades? Very
What subjects are you studying for A-Levels/BTECs: CIE AS/A level Biology, Maths and Chem was planning to do only AS for IT but decided against it
How are you feeling about starting Year 12? Well so far I don't understand anything lol
Any plans for the next year? Not much
Any plans made yet for what you will do after A-Levels/BTECs?Probably Medicine. Plan B Computer Forensics
How was Year 11 for you? Stressful
Any hobbies/interests? Reading, making friendship bracelets
How was your lockdown? It was fine just sat and braided bracelets

How long do you think it will take to get a CoVid-19 vaccine if there will ever be one?
There might be unless the scientists discover that this pandemic isn't just the cause of one single virus then this might just become the next common cold. It would probably take a year or two or more at its earliest because It typically takes around 5 to 10 years to develop a proper vaccine which is suitable for the whole population of earth ( excluding those who can't get vaccines for medical reasons (immunocompromised) or allegic to it)
Winter ig
Do you think marmite should be banned?
i dont even know what that is sooo ok?
Do you like Tea or Coffee?
Tea (even tho I don't drink it) ( coffee just makes me sleepy and groggy)
howdy.jpg
Original post by Raptor Jesus
howdy.jpg

Cool. What year are u in?
Original post by Humairazaman
Cool. What year are u in?

the one i commented in
Original post by Raptor Jesus
the one i commented in

Ohhhh ok:biggrin:
Original post by Oshmit
I'll go first:

GCSE Grades(if you would like to share them): 9 9s!!!
Are you satisfied with your grades?Yep over the moon!
What subjects are you studying for A-Levels/BTECs Maths, History, French and Chemistry (I hope)
How are you feeling about starting Year 12?I'm feeling jubilant actually, new adventure and all as it is
Any plans for the next year?Absolutely none! I don;t know what the pandemic will do
Any plans made yet for what you will do after A-Levels/BTECs? Yes university, to study History
How was Year 11 for you? It was fine. I spent too much time revising, which all went to waste in the end
Any hobbies/interests? I play the piano and that;s it
How was your lockdown? It was fine. I did a lot of cleaning and some cooking.

Original post by Oshmit
THEYEAR 12CHAT THREAD(2020-21)

Hi Everyone! That's it... we're through! After 1.5 years of hard work, 6 months of lockdown, GCSEs are done! I hope everyone was satisfied with their results and has planned their next steps. With that in mind, this is the new year 12 thread, for all of us to chat, lament, rejoice, share notes over the next year. Here's a format for your first post, but nobody is forcing you to follow it, post whatever you like!

YOUR FIRST POST:

GCSE Grades(if you would like to share them:smile:
Are you satisfied with your grades?:wink:
What subjects are you studying for A-Levels/BTECs
How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
Any plans for the next year?:redface:
Any plans made yet for what you will do after A-Levels/BTECs?
How was Year 11 for you?:redface:
Any hobbies/interests?
How was your lockdown?:smile:
For those with GYGs, feel free to link them...

Some random questions:
How long do you think it will take to get a CoVid-19 vaccine, if there will ever be one?
Do you think marmite should be banned?:confused:
Do you like Tea or Coffee? (Only one choice permitted!):biggrin:

All the best from me! I hope your dreams and aspirations are fulfilled over the coming year, and we get to stay in normal school...

GCSE grades - my average was a 7
i am indeed satisfied with my grades but my parents arent :frown:
im taking biology, maths, chemistry, business and I already did the A level Arabic exam in year 10 and gotten a B
im feeling a bit excited about almost finishing school
i want to move out next year I don't care where I just want to leave
ill start applying for university i guess
year 11 sucked
my hobbies and interests are- art, playing the ukulele, playing the electric guitar, singing, listening to metal/rock/indie/alternative/punk music, baking, football kinda
ive been stuck inside the house for 7 months haven't seen the son since lockdown and a lot of bad things happened ever since
Original post by tozneem
GCSE grades - my average was a 7
i am indeed satisfied with my grades but my parents arent :frown:
im taking biology, maths, chemistry, business and I already did the A level Arabic exam in year 10 and gotten a B
im feeling a bit excited about almost finishing school
i want to move out next year I don't care where I just want to leave
ill start applying for university i guess
year 11 sucked
my hobbies and interests are- art, playing the ukulele, playing the electric guitar, singing, listening to metal/rock/indie/alternative/punk music, baking, football kinda
ive been stuck inside the house for 7 months haven't seen the son since lockdown and a lot of bad things happened ever since

Being a Pakistani, Ik what having parents who expect absolute perfection in everything you do feels like. Dw if you're happy its all that matters. Don't ruin your health over what others think. Good luck, you'll do amazing in A levels and at sixth form:smile:
I got 5s man I feel so stupid
Original post by M.girlrox

That's really good,don't worry, it means you got a strong pass in everything which shows your consistent!!
Original post by M.girlrox

Don’t compare yourself to the tiny mimority that is TSR, you got strong passes in everything ; that is excellent
Original post by Mayataylor
Don’t compare yourself to the tiny mimority that is TSR, you got strong passes in everything ; that is excellent

thank you but it still stings a little
guys how are you all coping with year 12? Do you get lots of homework? How are you structuring your revision?
Original post by Oshmit
THEYEAR 12CHAT THREAD(2020-21)

Hi Everyone! That's it... we're through! After 1.5 years of hard work, 6 months of lockdown, GCSEs are done! I hope everyone was satisfied with their results and has planned their next steps. With that in mind, this is the new year 12 thread, for all of us to chat, lament, rejoice, share notes over the next year. Here's a format for your first post, but nobody is forcing you to follow it, post whatever you like!

YOUR FIRST POST:

GCSE Grades(if you would like to share them:smile:
Are you satisfied with your grades?:wink:
What subjects are you studying for A-Levels/BTECs
How are you feeling about starting Year 12?
Any plans for the next year?:redface:
Any plans made yet for what you will do after A-Levels/BTECs?
How was Year 11 for you?:redface:
Any hobbies/interests?
How was your lockdown?:smile:
For those with GYGs, feel free to link them...

Some random questions:
How long do you think it will take to get a CoVid-19 vaccine, if there will ever be one?
Do you think marmite should be banned?:confused:
Do you like Tea or Coffee? (Only one choice permitted!):biggrin:

All the best from me! I hope your dreams and aspirations are fulfilled over the coming year, and we get to stay in normal school...

grades: 9999999999
i’m satisfied!
bio chem rs german alevel
so scared my brain doesn’t work anymore
medicine? law?
it was overall not bad considering we didn’t sit the exams
dance lol
i wasted so much time
a LONG time
i like winter
i hate marmite
coffee