Zoeva123
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I completed A- level maths last year and was looking into doing further maths this year as I’m taking a gap year to resit some exams. It’s been a while since I’ve done any maths so I’m not sure how much I remember. Is further maths a continuation of normal maths (as in do I need to recap regular maths before I start).
Also is it possible to do further maths in one year.

Thanks <3
Zoeva123
Rep:
?
Bump
vix.xvi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yh its possible to do it in one year

that's what many schools do anyways
matscigal
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Personally, I think it would be tough to self teach parts of further maths (from personal experience doing Further Maths A-Level). Further Maths very much builds on normal maths so I would make sure you know all that content before you start.
If you're worried about completing the A Level in a year, why not try to do the AS and see where you get to? It would be a huge time commitment (idk if you're wanting a job during your gap year etc.) of around 16 hours a week ish. In many sixth forms, students learn f maths a level in a year but obviously this is with a teacher and all the support that brings. It's definitely possible but definitely a lot of work (further maths, particularly the second year content, is HARD in my opinion).
thegeek888
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
If you do Maths A-Level now, it is the same on OCR, OCR MEI, AQA, WJEC, CCEA and Edexcel too. But Further Maths only has 50% of the Core Pure content as the same on all boards. But even then, Further Mechanics, Further Statistics, Further Decision and Further Pure are the same topics.

I would recommend Edexcel as they have solutions to the textbooks and are the most popular board so you can be accommodated at a centre as a Private Candidate.

I am doing Maths and Further Maths and it isn't difficult if you study abit every day. There are also alot of YouTube tutorials and tonnes of past papers.

I have the OUP answers if you want them?
Zoeva123
Rep:
?
(Original post by thegeek888)
If you do Maths A-Level now, it is the same on OCR, OCR MEI, AQA, WJEC, CCEA and Edexcel too. But Further Maths only has 50% of the Core Pure content as the same on all boards. But even then, Further Mechanics, Further Statistics, Further Decision and Further Pure are the same topics.

I would recommend Edexcel as they have solutions to the textbooks and are the most popular board so you can be accommodated at a centre as a Private Candidate.

I am doing Maths and Further Maths and it isn't difficult if you study abit every day. There are also alot of YouTube tutorials and tonnes of past papers.

I did AQA maths a level so I’m not sure moving to edexcel would help because the I’m used to the format and style of questions from AQA. The thing I’m worried about is I know people who got A in maths but D in further maths so it must be a lot more difficult.
jojososo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thegeek888)

Hi, can I ask, are you studying Maths and FM ALevel in a school or privately/independently? My daughter wants to do FM ALevel at home alongside the 3 ALevels she is doing at school starting next week Maths, Physics, Music. Do you think that this would be possible?
thegeek888
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jojososo)
Hi, can I ask, are you studying Maths and FM ALevel in a school or privately/independently? My daughter wants to do FM ALevel at home alongside the 3 ALevels she is doing at school starting next week Maths, Physics, Music. Do you think that this would be possible?
AQA have become a hardcore board for Further Maths, OCR MEI don't have good textbooks and OCR are notorious for not printing good books. Edexcel however have got Pearson books and OUP books and eBooks are available online too with model answers. Edexcel Further Maths isn't too difficult if you choose Further Mechanics 1 and Further Decision 1 as it's all the old M2, M3, M4 and D1 content.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (186)
14.11%
I'm not sure (59)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.36%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.81%
I'm not a current university student (649)
49.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise