can't decide between two degree

Watch
maddiethorp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey,
so I'm struggling to figure out which degree would be best between modern languages and economics, or just pure economics. not many unis do modern languages and economics together so economics with one language is also an option. I absolutely love languages and I want to keep learning them after A level, and I know that I'd learn so much better from a degree than some language apps in my spare time. I know that a degree is an investment and I think languages would be extremely useful for my career. however, I know that I definitely want a career in something to do with economics so I don't know if I should just prioritise economics or not. I've heard that joint honours degrees are really hard which is one thing I'd need to think about. And also my main question is, I'm worried that if I was doing modern languages and economics that I wouldn't have enough knowledge of economics to have a career in it, as only 50% of the degree is about economics maybe it wouldn't be in depth. and also I'm worried that I would get to do a master's in economics which is what I want to do, because most unis want applicants degrees to be economics heavy to get into the masters. any advice would be appreciated
I know this isn't in the right place but the forum I was going to post it on is closed apparently
CreatureSoiree
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd firstly check out a few places where you'd like to do your master's, and see what their criteria are. Maybe talk to someone at some of the unis about it too. Then it'll be a lot clearer, and relevant as you'd have spoken to some unis that actually interest you. Personally, I think the language and economics mix sounds great. If you love languages then you'll no doubt love the language classes. It'll be a treat going to those lessons, and I found that really motivating when I enjoyed modules.
I found with a lot of friends that stopped learning languages properly in a class just sort of lost their abilities to speak them. So if you've been doing languages already to a fair level then I deffo think you should continue!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.47%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (36)
14.94%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.84%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.14%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed