lkate93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by S1elyak1)
I’m debating if to apply. I applied last year and failed at the stage before the video interview. I’m a current civil servant so not sure if it’s really worth applying
I think it's definitely worth a shot! What've you got to lose?
jg2012
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by lkate93)
I am going to apply this year but with the expectation that I won't be successful - I think it's a great scheme to run and will probably apply for the next few years too whilst looking to progress through CS roles. I think the lack of ability to prepare is a good feature, for roles within CS anyway there's the constant updating of competencies and development so hopefully applications to FS won't be too time consuming or off-putting for the future.
The fact you can’t ‘prepare’ as such is very liberating - at least for the ac anyway.

You just have to keep the competencies in mind and be confident when doing your tasks.

Typing is a big thing though so it may disadvantage those who aren’t as fast in one of the tasks.
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by jg2012)
The fact you can’t ‘prepare’ as such is very liberating - at least for the ac anyway.

You just have to keep the competencies in mind and be confident when doing your tasks.

Typing is a big thing though so it may disadvantage those who aren’t as fast in one of the tasks.
If it's due to a health condition you can get reasonable adjustments.

If it's a case of purely being a **** writer (like myself) then I would focus on the following;

• Plain English. To get points on the board you first and foremost need to be understood by the layman. You should be able to put across your thoughts in a way that anyone can pick up your answer and take away some meaning from it. To practice this, take a complex idea and break it down into 1-2 sentences in a simple way. You could write paragraphs on 'Brexit' but if I need to know what it is in 2 sentences you need to be able to provide that for me. I'd suggest looking into IRTBA which is a known standard practice for briefings. It's focused on being concise, but still inclusive of the crucial detail. https://www.civilservant.org.uk/skills-submissions.html
  • Avoiding repetition. Try and make a point and then move on. This will reduce potential for waffling and is a particular pitfall for those who without realising - try and say the same thing multiple times in a different way. Often you only spot it on re-read, which you may not have time for when you're on the clock. So be really concious of what you're writing. Ask yourself - have I said this already? Has my point been made on this subject?
  • Really use any given statistics as a weapon, much like the CS does every day. Big decisions (that aren't kneejerk) are often informed by an absolute wealth of stats, so make sure you really bring them to light where relevant.
beth_mars
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Charlie Bristol)
It's my second time. Most of you are more experienced than me, I think.

Last year I failed the the Work based scenario (learning assessment phase). Anybody passed this stage last year? any advice on how to practise this please?

If anybody is interested, maybe we can set up a study group on FB where we can share experience or practice together.
I think the fb group is a really good idea! This will be my first time applying so I would appreciate any help that I could get 😊
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems like there is a new scheme this year by the way, as below;

https://www.faststream.gov.uk/property/index.html

Has a FSB.
lkate93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by beth_mars)
I think the fb group is a really good idea! This will be my first time applying so I would appreciate any help that I could get 😊
Hey,

I don't have Facebook but if it's a public group, would you mind posting the link on here please? No problem if not

Thanks
trixytwix27
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey guys im set on applying for the commercial stream, and how does everyone plan to practice on the situational judgement tests and other tests etc?? Is job test prep or assessmentday ideal? Thank you ☺
S1elyak1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lkate93)
I think it's definitely worth a shot! What've you got to lose?
Very little to lose but it was quite a weird kind of stressful experience last year. I also don’t want to be placed in London but I might consider applying this year when it opens
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
3rd year student at University here, so it's my first time applying! Will be applying for Diplomatic Service.
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 1 week ago
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Going into my 3rd year of University and have just finished the Summer Diversity Internship Programme. Looking to apply for Generalist, HOP, and GSR. Feeling nervous already but hopefully it'll be a positive experience, even if it is known to be a long one.
israch
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by llamab)
Couldn't find a thread for the upcoming application cycle anywhere, so thought I would start it. Anyone else on TSR applying? For which scheme?

I'm planning to apply for Gov Social Research as my top choice, would be great to get to know others in the same boat!
I am hopefully! I’m thinking general or houses of parliament ... not too sure.
israch
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 22001581)
Going into my 3rd year of University and have just finished the Summer Diversity Internship Programme. Looking to apply for Generalist, HOP, and GSR. Feeling nervous already but hopefully it'll be a positive experience, even if it is known to be a long one.
How was your internship? Good luck for 3rd year, I’m going to 3rd year as well!
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by israch)
How was your internship? Good luck for 3rd year, I’m going to 3rd year as well!
It was a really great experience thanks, we had to work from home as that is what my department is currently doing but I felt like I really got to experiecne what it was like to work oin the Civil Service. I feel like it is definitely worth applying for if anyone is still in their 2nd or 3rd year and fits the criteria. Good luck for your 3rd year too, I'm studing Psychology, what is/has everyone else studied?
Vexper
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend pointed this one out to me who is applying this year which I think will be valuable knowledge for everyone here;

Fast Stream Assessment Centre - if you pass the above stages you’ll be invited to attend a half day assessment centre. This will be conducted virtually on line. The Fast Stream Assessment Centre (FSAC) reflects some of the key elements of a Fast Stream role and will consist of a leadership exercise, a group exercise and a written exercise. Information will be presented via an app that you will be able to access remotely.
For those with immediate travel barriers and such, seems like great news.

source: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/how-to-apply/index.html
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Vexper)
My friend pointed this one out to me who is applying this year which I think will be valuable knowledge for everyone here;

For those with immediate travel barriers and such, seems like great news.

source: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/how-to-apply/index.html
They mentioned this during my internship, and told us we will get more information about how to go about accessing the app if we get to the AC section. Seems much better for those of us who can't or don't want to travel for one day.
israch
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 22001581)
It was a really great experience thanks, we had to work from home as that is what my department is currently doing but I felt like I really got to experiecne what it was like to work oin the Civil Service. I feel like it is definitely worth applying for if anyone is still in their 2nd or 3rd year and fits the criteria. Good luck for your 3rd year too, I'm studing Psychology, what is/has everyone else studied?
Glad to hear. Was working from home hard? And thank you! I’m studying Politics and International Relations
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by israch)
Glad to hear. Was working from home hard? And thank you! I’m studying Politics and International Relations
I did politics in my first year as a minor subject, really interesting, especially for the Civil Service. I actually found it okay working from home. It took a bit of getting used to at first, especially trying to sort out the technology, but all of my department were also working from home so it felt relatively normal. Hoping it means that I am a bit more confident if I get to the AC than I was before in terms of video calls.
AspiringCS
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll be applying again to Diplomatic and Generalist. Didn't get to FSAC last year, due to 'low engagement' from video interviews. Discovered this essentially means you need so show enthusiasm through body language and how you speak (which is quite unnatural on the video interview!). Up until then, I'd got through on all schemes. This is my 3rd year out of uni, so hopefully the extra experience will help with the application.
gink
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey everyone! Just noticed on the website it now says applications open 24th September - but I can't see the Government Communications stream anymore :eek: Has this been replaced by the new Property scheme?
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gink)
Hey everyone! Just noticed on the website it now says applications open 24th September - but I can't see the Government Communications stream anymore :eek: Has this been replaced by the new Property scheme?
Hi, yes, I was told on my internship that the commercial scheme isn't running, instead they are running the property scheme.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.58%
Less motivated (182)
68.42%

Watched Threads