The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

MoJ here. Any peeps in the same boat? :smile:
Original post by Mr demotivator

I've been told MoJ, but with various regional offices. wtf?? I need to make plans for relocation etc. And I don't know the details of my manager to seek out guidance. :frown:
Reply 5982

Also MoJ! I’m based in London. Would be great to connect with some fellow MoJ people!
Anyone placed in Welsh gov? Would be nice to connect!
Home Office in London here!
Original post by Diplomatic
Just been allocated DIT in London!

same here :smile:
Hi all,
To everyone who received their department and locations today - I hope you’re all happy with where you’ve been placed!
I’m starting in October so I should be finding out next month. Just wanted to ask a question - Are the departments/locations you’ve been given departments that were high in your list of choices? Or has anyone been given a department that was quite low/not in their list at all?
I know we aren’t guaranteed to get a department or location that was our top preference and I’m not too fussy either way, just eager to know :smile:
Original post by kevinesmart
Hi all,
To everyone who received their department and locations today - I hope you’re all happy with where you’ve been placed!
I’m starting in October so I should be finding out next month. Just wanted to ask a question - Are the departments/locations you’ve been given departments that were high in your list of choices? Or has anyone been given a department that was quite low/not in their list at all?
I know we aren’t guaranteed to get a department or location that was our top preference and I’m not too fussy either way, just eager to know :smile:

Hiya! So I actually got my department months ago (I am GSR though) and I got my top location, but the department I was allocated wasn't on my preferences at all. I think they will always try and give you one of the two if possible (not sure if you were given a location preference?) :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi all,

At least for generalists, there's no high/low preference - we provided 10 department preferences but the one at the top of the list isn't treated as a higher preference than the one at the bottom.

I was allocated a department that was in my top 10. However, I did specify in the comment box that I would particularly like to be placed in DfE (and wasn't).
Amazing to see so many MoJ people. For anyone moving to Ldn what are you doing for housing? I’m moving over from Northern Ireland and looking at spareroom currently.

Slightly nervous moving across. Is anyone else feeling the same way? Likewise, is anyone considering buddying up to find accom?
Original post by plb435
Hiya! So I actually got my department months ago (I am GSR though) and I got my top location, but the department I was allocated wasn't on my preferences at all. I think they will always try and give you one of the two if possible (not sure if you were given a location preference?) :smile:

Oh okay that makes sense. I was given a location preference and then a list of departments too :smile:
At least for generalists, there's no high/low preference - we provided 10 department preferences but the one at the top of the list isn't treated as a higher preference than the one at the bottom.

I was allocated a department that was in my top 10. However, I did specify in the comment box that I would particularly like to be placed in DfE (and wasn't).

I’m a generalist too, I assumed that the list was in order of preference. I don’t think I read the page properly lol. Thanks for letting me know!
Hi all,

hey! I got my location preference (london) and a department (dit) from my top list, but not one of the ones I said i would prefer most in the text box
Amazing to see so many MoJ people. For anyone moving to Ldn what are you doing for housing? I’m moving over from Northern Ireland and looking at spareroom currently.

Slightly nervous moving across. Is anyone else feeling the same way? Likewise, is anyone considering buddying up to find accom?

If anyone wants to pm their spareroom adref # to me or others looking for housing on here we could maybe connect on there? Definitely would say shared accommodation for london is the way to go, either buddy up or find a room in an existing place... studio flats will either be expensive as hell or way out.
Did anyone get the email to submit their additional onboarding info on Workday today or did most people do it a while ago? Never know if I'm miles behind everyone else haha
Original post by VeeVee
Did anyone get the email to submit their additional onboarding info on Workday today or did most people do it a while ago? Never know if I'm miles behind everyone else haha

I got mine today too :smile:
Original post by NatashaG
Anyone else get posted somewhere they don't want to be? I have been posted in Cardiff with the Welsh government, and the job role sounds interesting but it's literally a 3 hour commute if I'm using public transport from my address (I don't have a driver's licence). I was also granted a relocation restriction due to my partners work commitments and according to the email about relocation restrictions I don't have to travel further than 90 minutes in one direction. For me Bristol, Reading, Gloucester, Cheltenham are all viable options in terms of not having to commute longer then 90 minutes. I know the civil service has a lot of departments with offices in Bristol in particular. I am just confused as to why they think Cardiff is a viable option given my relocation restriction. I have emailed them about this but I'm just frustrated because I was looking forward to finally knowing what job I will be doing! (on the generalist stream by the way)

I didn't realise that we could use our partners jobs as a way to get a relocation restriction.

This sucks but I'm afraid unless it's a mistake, there's very little they'll do.
Original post by NatashaG
Anyone else get posted somewhere they don't want to be? I have been posted in Cardiff with the Welsh government, and the job role sounds interesting but it's literally a 3 hour commute if I'm using public transport from my address (I don't have a driver's licence). I was also granted a relocation restriction due to my partners work commitments and according to the email about relocation restrictions I don't have to travel further than 90 minutes in one direction. For me Bristol, Reading, Gloucester, Cheltenham are all viable options in terms of not having to commute longer then 90 minutes. I know the civil service has a lot of departments with offices in Bristol in particular. I am just confused as to why they think Cardiff is a viable option given my relocation restriction. I have emailed them about this but I'm just frustrated because I was looking forward to finally knowing what job I will be doing! (on the generalist stream by the way)

Hey - I'm in Cardiff so location wise this would be perfect for me haha! Guarantee they place me somewhere miles away now too! Just bear in mind that there may still be work from home / hybrid working available so you may not actually have to travel that distance every day it may only be a handful of times a month - if at all!
For those completing the starter declaration form through Workday, how do you find out your staff number?
For those completing the starter declaration form through Workday, how do you find out your staff number?

If you click on the cloud on the top right and then view profile, it has your employee ID, I'm assuming that's it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending