The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2020/21

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I'm applying for the fast stream this time around and was hoping to get some advice! I've just got through to interview and was wondering if the 9 questions are based purely on the strengths, or are they based on CS Behaviours like other CS interviews? It seems strange to me if they're based on the behaviours as with other CS jobs, they provide you with the behaviours they will be judging you on, whereas i've found nothing to suggest this for the fast stream! Appreciate any help!
October starters - does anyone know if we'll get paid this month and whether it'll be a full months (or close to a full month's) worth of pay?
Original post by AspiringCS
October starters - does anyone know if we'll get paid this month and whether it'll be a full months (or close to a full month's) worth of pay?

Should be. I started late last month and was paid for a week of work.
Original post by murkster-dubez
Should be. I started late last month and was paid for a week of work.

Are you on the fast stream and when did you start compared to payday? Sorry, just trying to figure out how I'll pay rent this month.
Original post by AspiringCS

I started mid way through the month of September and got paid still. Payday was the last working day of the month. And I'm a fast streamer.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by plb435
I started mid way through the month of September and got paid still. Payday was the last working day of the month. And I'm a fast streamer.

That's reassuring. My start date just got pushed a week which is really unideal so starting to panic about rent etc.
Original post by CeylonDiva
Has anyone from the Government Economic Service started yet or even actually heard anything? I’ve seen that there’s backlogs for security checks but considering it was supposed to be a September/October start and still no info on location or start date I’m wondering if we’re all in the same boat?

Hey I started October, you should definitely have had info by now and should email GES. If you don't get a reply from then try and get the personal email address from someone at GES
Original post by ANATO75
Hello! I'm applying for the fast stream this time around and was hoping to get some advice! I've just got through to interview and was wondering if the 9 questions are based purely on the strengths, or are they based on CS Behaviours like other CS interviews? It seems strange to me if they're based on the behaviours as with other CS jobs, they provide you with the behaviours they will be judging you on, whereas i've found nothing to suggest this for the fast stream! Appreciate any help!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7095492&page=22 - thread for 2022 :smile:
I got below average and average on the second round of online assessments do you think I still have a chance or have I messed this up :frown:
Please can someone link me to the table showing lowest / highest pass / fail marks for this intake?
Hello, are there any whatsapp groups I can be added to - would be good to chat and meet up
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6251
Original post by c21z16
Do we still need to be referring to the competencies and trying to answer in the STAR format to do well at FSB or is the main scoring all about getting your own personality and motivations across at this point?

Did you ever find out the answer to this? Got mines tomorrow and ive been trying to cover all bases but would be good to narrow it down
Hi everyone,

I'm aware this is an old thread, and there is a new one up for 2021/22...but I was just wondering if someone from last year's cohort might be able to share their experiences from the last few months with someone who is now in the final stages of the current year's application process. I'm basically trying to assess whether, based on your current experiences, you would recommend accepting an offer from the Fast Stream, or if you're regretting your decision - I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone currently on the GSR stream.

For context, I am currently working for local government and earning around 25% higher than the starting pay on the fast stream (£36,750), but there is limited training opportunities/room for progression. So, I'm essentially trying to work out whether the temporary pay cut would be worth it for the training/experiences/long-term career prospects synonymous with the Fast Stream. Would love to hear what you've been up to since starting your placements to get a bit more of an insight on what to expect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending