nj4es
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
You have 5 days from when you submit your details and are invited to complete the tests, so you can apply anytime within the 4 week window. The tests are likely to be Situational Judgment, Verbal Reasoning and possibly Numerical Reasoning I would have thought. Pretty standard for CS
Base_Thread
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nkhogali)
Any word on what these tests involve?
From my understanding it's mostly situational judgement and workstyle questionnaires (i.e. what would you do in a situation and then you rank responses on how likely you would be to carry them out in the workplace)

From what i can gather it doesn't sound like there are 'right' or 'wrong' answers, more just what kind of worker are you and whether you'll fit
Stu76
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
hi all, how is everyone? applied last last year, so second time hopefully? although got an EO post off the back of the direct access so at least working...will be signing up tomorrow, warning people who haven't applied before now, it takes ages before you get results in the later stages!!! so there will be a lot of waiting around, unless they have improved it. lol
Sctorch
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all, I will also be reapplying though I already work in the Civil Service. Anyone thinking of going for the Property scheme as one of their choices? I don't think it will be my first or even second choice but it looks intriguing to me.
chyjoh1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi all, this will be my first time applying for a graduate scheme with civil service I’m thinking of applying for the HR or maybe Property scheme. Does anyone know of any good websites to practise these tests on? Thanks in advance!
adetayo_tp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by chyjoh1)
Hi all, this will be my first time applying for a graduate scheme with civil service I’m thinking of applying for the HR or maybe Property scheme. Does anyone know of any good websites to practise these tests on? Thanks in advance!
I will also be applying for the first time. Practice sites will be beneficial
Nkhogali
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Have just finished the preliminary info.

How long does it take for the tests to unlock?
MSimba
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
And so it begins...

May the odds be ever in our favour.
adetayo_tp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MSimba)
And so it begins...

May the odds be ever in our favour.
Amen to that
Science&EnginFS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
First time applying for the Science and Engineering stream (wanted to apply last year but missed the deadline by a few days)... not sure what to expect, I'm already a bit worried that I don't have a lot of solid experience in leadership roles, so if anyone has any tips with how important this is, or how to frame other experience in the right way, I would really appreciate it. Thanks and good luck everyone!
allycat84
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Science&EnginFS)
First time applying for the Science and Engineering stream (wanted to apply last year but missed the deadline by a few days)... not sure what to expect, I'm already a bit worried that I don't have a lot of solid experience in leadership roles, so if anyone has any tips with how important this is, or how to frame other experience in the right way, I would really appreciate it. Thanks and good luck everyone!
Have you looked at the success profiles? Leadership is defined as showing pride ans passion for public service, create and engage others in delivering a shared vision, value difference, diversity and inclusion, ensuring fairness and opportunity for all. You don't have to have been a leader, just show leadership qualities
MSimba
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Science&EnginFS)
I'm not sure the majority of people would have solid experience in leadership roles as you put it, so I suppose it's more important to show that you have qualities that would make you an effective leader. Maybe think about any times you've worked as part of a group - how did you navigate this? Think about what makes a good leader. It's not all necessarily about taking charge and barking out orders. Maybe you're the person who keeps everyone on track by reminding people of timescales and deadlines. Maybe you're the person who motivates others by keeping morale high and offering support where you can. There are lots of different styles of leadership. Maybe try and figure out what type of a leader you naturally are (there are free online leadership questionnaires) and see if you can find examples where you've displayed certain traits?

Hope this helps! And lots of luck to you too.
Science&EnginFS
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MSimba)
I'm not sure the majority of people would have solid experience in leadership roles as you put it, so I suppose it's more important to show that you have qualities that would make you an effective leader. Maybe think about any times you've worked as part of a group - how did you navigate this? Think about what makes a good leader. It's not all necessarily about taking charge and barking out orders. Maybe you're the person who keeps everyone on track by reminding people of timescales and deadlines. Maybe you're the person who motivates others by keeping morale high and offering support where you can. There are lots of different styles of leadership. Maybe try and figure out what type of a leader you naturally are (there are free online leadership questionnaires) and see if you can find examples where you've displayed certain traits?

Hope this helps! And lots of luck to you too.
That's super helpful, thank you!
Science&EnginFS
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by allycat84)
Have you looked at the success profiles? Leadership is defined as showing pride ans passion for public service, create and engage others in delivering a shared vision, value difference, diversity and inclusion, ensuring fairness and opportunity for all. You don't have to have been a leader, just show leadership qualities
Great, thank you! I will definitely be looking at the success profiles again
temo2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
For the video interview does anyone know how it works. Like do you get the question during and have to answer immediately or do you get a few mins to think?
Nkhogali
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Have the first online tests unlocked for anyone yet?
MSimba
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by temo2)
For the video interview does anyone know how it works. Like do you get the question during and have to answer immediately or do you get a few mins to think?
You are allowed to practice each question as many times as you'd like but you have one chance to record your final answer.

The Fast Stream website gives you lots of information about the whole application process. Here is a link to the FAQ section which helpfully answered every question I personally had about the process: https://www.faststream.gov.uk/faqs/index.html
Last edited by MSimba; 9 months ago
adetayo_tp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Nkhogali)
Have the first online tests unlocked for anyone yet?
Mine has. i will do it tomorrow
Stu76
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
well registered, and completed the questionnaires, just waiting for work based scenarios to open... it takes a little longer to open if you put "reasonable adjustments" on your application.
Last edited by Stu76; 9 months ago
Roxas
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Let's go fast streamers!

Attempt number 3 for me.

Ironically I got way further the first time than the second, i'm hoping to buck that trend this year haha.

Good luck everyone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (14)
6.19%
Uncertainty around my education (26)
11.5%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (26)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (34)
15.04%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (13)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.1%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (20)
8.85%
Financial worries (13)
5.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (7)
3.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (16)
7.08%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
2.65%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (28)
12.39%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (16)
7.08%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed