The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship after dropping out of Uni eligibility

Hi,
I went to university over a period of 2.5 years (on and off as during my first term I organised to restart the year the following year due to poor mental health) and due to mental health reasons was unable to finish my course and left uni after the new year without obtaining a level 4 qualification. (My entire time at uni was funded by SFE as the incompletion was due to mental health) I was unable to find anyone to fill my accommodation so the student loan I received just before I left went on that. Although, I have been slowly paying back student finance I have still a large sum to pay and due to the pandemic job opportunities are scarce. I have been looking into getting an apprenticeship which is unrelated to anything that I have previously studied and have found something that I would really like to do. However, when looking into whether I'd be eligible it states on the .gov website "E59.4 & E68.4 Where an individual transfers to an apprenticeship from full time education or higher education course, and that course has been funded by student loan, the loan must be terminated."
I understand that I am liable to repay the loan from the point I dropped out but would this in effect make me ineligible for an apprenticeship till I pay that outstanding amount or would I have to pay back the full amount for the entire 2.5 years ?
(in case needed the apprenticeship I want to do is level 2 hairdressing)
I have contacted many different institutions over the past month and have not been given a direct answer. Any help at this point would be greatly appreciated.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending