Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Increated)
I was in much the same situation last year, I was pooled for HSPS and had some very vague feedback. I re-applied and got an offer in this cycle with slightly better A-Levels (3 A*s) and relatively mediocre GCSE's. If you were strong enough to be pooled then you'll have a pretty good chance next year, especially since it seems like you've worked well independently so far.

At then end of the day it's a personal choice so you need to decide if you'd be happy with Durham or want to take the risk against the likely scenario of being unsuccessful again. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
I am very pleased for you. Just shows it can be done!!!
zaeem5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I was in much the same situation last year, I was pooled for HSPS and had some very vague feedback. I re-applied and got an offer in this cycle with slightly better A-Levels (3 A*s) and relatively mediocre GCSE's. If you were strong enough to be pooled then you'll have a pretty good chance next year, especially since it seems like you've worked well independently so far.

At then end of the day it's a personal choice so you need to decide if you'd be happy with Durham or want to take the risk against the likely scenario of being unsuccessful again. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
Thankyou for this. Also congratulations! I’m not sure what to do yet. I’m focusing on exams and then hopefully things might seem clearer. I need to be sure I’m doing a gap year for the right reasons. I need to visit Durham for a start. As you say, it’s 80% likely I’d get another the rejection from Cambridge. But also, I have a chance to do some very interesting work in October and I’d like to travel if possible next year. So who knows?
zaeem5
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago

Thankyou for this. Also congratulations! I’m not sure what to do yet. I’m focusing on exams and then hopefully things might seem clearer. I need to be sure I’m doing a gap year for the right reasons. I need to visit Durham for a start. As you say, it’s 80% likely I’d get another the rejection from Cambridge. But also, I have a chance to do some very interesting work in October and I’d like to travel if possible next year. So who knows?
Paralove
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by makeyourmindup)
I would just add too - a gap year at your age can seem a really daunting thing to do but it's really nothing in the grand scheme of things. Plus, in my experience students who took a gap year just seemed a lot more ready to get down to it with uni study, having had a little break (I wish I had taken one, in many ways - but I had a year abroad as part of my course so it was a good compromise!). Many people give it a second shot and are successful - what would be worse for you, taking a year out to reapply, in the meantime developing some great life skills and time away from study regardless of the outcome, or wondering what if?

Obviously it's a bit more complex than that but it's worth a think about. Durham is still great, and there's always postgraduate study (people thrive elsewhere and come to Cambridge down the line!). You've got plenty of time to mull it over, but don't make any final decisions til you get your grades.
princessbm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I'm an international student hoping to go to Cambridge next year, so here are my answers:

1) Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science (should be predicted all A*s) and I achieved an A in AS level Economics and am being forced to do AS level English by my school which I'm putting 0 effort into so I'll probably get a B or something

2) Natural Sciences because I probably wanna do physics but it'll be nice to explore other sciences as well

3) 7A* and 3A with extenuating circumstances for one of the As, no plans to retake

4) My IGCSE's aren't the best so I'm much more likely to get an interview at Cambridge where I have the opportunity to stand out. Also Cambridge seems quieter and more peaceful which I like.

5) NSAA, will probably start grinding for it in September or October

6) Not very much, just took an online course on Astrophysics and am currently doing a research project on planetary motion, but I regularly watch shows and keep up with news in physics

7) Probably do a phd in either physics or astrophysics

8) Can't decide between Emmanuel or Selwyn currently, both seem pretty good for a person like me
Last edited by princessbm; 5 months ago
t.iris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
hello, would anyone have a good website for moocs? thanks and have a nice day xx
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by t.iris)
hello, would anyone have a good website for moocs? thanks and have a nice day xx
I used coursera
t.iris
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
I used coursera
thank you so much
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
thank you so much
no problem

There are other MOOC providers (like futurelearn) that might be more suitable for some things, but I used coursera for a variety of subjects (philosophy, psychology, biology and statistics) and found it to be the best.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by princessbm)
I'm an international student hoping to go to Cambridge next year, so here are my answers:

1) Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science (should be predicted all A*s) and I achieved an A in AS level Economics and am being forced to do AS level English by my school which I'm putting 0 effort into so I'll probably get a B or something

2) Natural Sciences because I probably wanna do physics but it'll be nice to explore other sciences as well

3) 7A* and 3A with extenuating circumstances for one of the As, no plans to retake

4) My IGCSE's aren't the best so I'm much more likely to get an interview at Cambridge where I have the opportunity to stand out. Also Cambridge seems quieter and more peaceful which I like.

5) NSAA, will probably start grinding for it in September or October

6) Not very much, just took an online course on Astrophysics and am currently doing a research project on planetary motion, but I regularly watch shows and keep up with news in physics

7) Probably do a phd in either physics or astrophysics

8) Can't decide between Emmanuel or Selwyn currently, both seem pretty good for a person like me
To help you decide which Natsci course you may prefer, please look at the following Cambridge Demystified chapters:

Biological Natsci

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post88366502

Physical Natsci

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post88515962
Jade1211
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi! I'm looking at English course and I'm not sure whether to apply to Cambridge (not sure my grades are good enough!) but I was wondering how the submitted essays work if you're a post a-level applicant? I'll be 20 in the next admissions cycle, would I still need to send in essays from my A level course? Thanks!
t.iris
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
this may seem like an odly specific queston, but can members of a college attend the may balls of other colleges? thanks x
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
this may seem like an odly specific queston, but can members of a college attend the may balls of other colleges? thanks x
Yes, absolutely. Some sell out very quickly, so you need to have a friend at that college who will buy you a guest ticket. Sometimes tickets are released onto the open market once college members have had the opportunity to buy theirs. There's no guarantee you'd be able to get a ticket for any particular event (especially if you don't know anyone at the college) but you're certainly permitted to attend events at colleges other than your own.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Bet you are all looking forward to when you can start attending balls again!
r00145
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, does anyone know if Cambridge accepts students taking only two A Levels in the A2 year? I'm looking to apply to Maths, and I'll be finishing A Level Maths this year, then doing Further Maths next year. I'm looking to drop my 4th subject (History), and only do FM and Physics, but I'm not sure if this is allowed. I heard this is dependent on colleges, but so far I haven't really seen any college explicitly saying they require 3 A Levels in the A2 year.
twinkletoes_
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by r00145)
Hi, does anyone know if Cambridge accepts students taking only two A Levels in the A2 year? I'm looking to apply to Maths, and I'll be finishing A Level Maths this year, then doing Further Maths next year. I'm looking to drop my 4th subject (History), and only do FM and Physics, but I'm not sure if this is allowed. I heard this is dependent on colleges, but so far I haven't really seen any college explicitly saying they require 3 A Levels in the A2 year.
I think as long as you have completed 3 a levels BY the end of the A2 year you should be fine. One of my friends completed her maths a level in year 11 and took subjects in year 12 and dropped to maths and fm in year 13, although she didn't get a place she got pooled so I am assuming that the fact she only took 2 a levels in year 13 did not disadvantage her.
I think what might be important is that you show what you are doing/done in terms of maths with the extra free time that you now have.
This is just my opinion from things I have read! Might be good to also email the admissions team for the college you want to apply to and talk to your school for further advice
Immortal-Reaper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there! Coming from the Oxford thread as people pointed out that they have high standards for GCSEs and well...

1) A-Levels: History, English Language, English Literature [+ EPQ hopefully]
2) Wanted to do Ancient and Modern History at Oxford but it seems Cambridge offer a similarly wide range in history [Classics is too heavily language-based for me]
3) Four 7s, 3 6s, 2 5s - as I mentioned Oxford weigh heavily on GCSEs [Note: I did mine in 2019 and compared to the rest of my year I was above average but nowhere near the best - some friends got several nines]
4) As mentioned before GCSE results but just generally I like the tutorial system as I'm not the most outgoing person (there's four of us in English lang and I still barely talk)
5) I believe some colleges have at-interview assessments, submitted work or both
6) Extra reading (specifically the work of Joseph Campbell), probably going to do a MOOC over summer [I also have standard extra-curricular stuff but Oxbridge don't really care about them] - any advice on other things to do?
7) I have no set goal but further research is definitely next wherever I go so probably a Masters
8) Not really looked yet [But definitely going to read Oxford Mum 's demystified chapter on this ]
Last edited by Immortal-Reaper; 4 months ago
Confused:)
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) I’m in Scotland so for Highers I’m doing maths, French, English, physics, chemistry and biology; and for advanced Highers I’m taking maths, chemistry and physics.
2) Maths with physics I think, I was very set on doing natural sciences for a while but I’ve just recently changed my mind so hopefully it pays off.
3) Again, because I’m from Scotland national 5s: A1, A1, A1, A1, A1, A1, A
4) I’ve always loved the idea of learning in like tutorials and just the entire Cambridge teaching style. I don’t really have a set reason why not Oxford I just liked the feel of Cambridge more I think.
5) I’m going to have to sit STEP but I think that’s after interview so I only have to worry about that if I get to that stage so at the moment it’s not really a priority.
6) I’ve done quite a bit of supercurricular reading and watched a few physics lectures as well as taking part in physics masterclasses. More recently I’ve set up an engineering project for younger students in my school, and I’ve just got a place in the Trinity women in STEM residential so hopefully that helps as well.
7) I’m not sure completely but research appeals to me so probably a masters.
8) I’m don’t really know tbh, I’ve tried to decide but I’m really indecisive and they all have so many pros and cons, any advice would be warmly received!
bubbleslemons
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
Physics maths further maths music
2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
Engineering - pretty cool and I like being able to create things (or maybe music who knows not me lol rip)
3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
I prefer the cambridge engineering course - it's a better fusion of theory and practical
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
ENGAA - after my year 12 mocks
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
Online courses, air cadets, trying to learn coding
7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
piloting
8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?

Christ's
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Immortal-Reaper)
Hi there! Coming from the Oxford thread as people pointed out that they have high standards for GCSEs and well...

1) A-Levels: History, English Language, English Literature [+ EPQ hopefully]
2) Wanted to do Ancient and Modern History at Oxford but it seems Cambridge offer a similarly wide range in history [Classics is too heavily language-based for me]
3) Four 7s, 3 6s, 2 5s - as I mentioned Oxford weigh heavily on GCSEs [Note: I did mine in 2019 and compared to the rest of my year I was above average but nowhere near the best - some friends got several nines]
4) As mentioned before GCSE results but just generally I like the tutorial system as I'm not the most outgoing person (there's four of us in English lang and I still barely talk)
5) I believe some colleges have at-interview assessments, submitted work or both
6) Extra reading (specifically the work of Joseph Campbell), probably going to do a MOOC over summer [I also have standard extra-curricular stuff but Oxbridge don't really care about them] - any advice on other things to do?
7) I have no set goal but further research is definitely next wherever I go so probably a Masters
8) Not really looked yet [But definitely going to read Oxford Mum 's demystified chapter on this ]
Yes, I think Cambridge would be a better shout. Here is the Cambridge Demystified History chapter:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6467768

It doesn't matter if you barely talk, as long as you can think out loud and grow in confidence.

The extra reading is really key. I once met a Cambridge history professor. He said he loved the random and unusual so make that reading niche.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (251)
57.44%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (58)
13.27%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (47)
10.76%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (38)
8.7%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
4.35%

Watched Threads