The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiredperson
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how much your GCSEs would affect your application. In mine, I got 9999988877 which I was pretty happy with at the time however after reading this thread I am a bit stressed as most people I have seen have got straight 9s. Do you think this would make much difference in my application? (I got 9s in all the subjects I am studying at A level) (sorry if this comes across as whiney, I'm just stressed ah)

So if I understand correctly, you got 8 A*s and you’re asking if that’s good enough? I can’t tell if you’re being serious or just trying to wind everyone up by emulating one of those archetypal “I got 12 A*s at GCSE - can I still get into Cambridge?” users.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by username5791693
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew how much your GCSEs would affect your application. In mine, I got 9999988877 which I was pretty happy with at the time however after reading this thread I am a bit stressed as most people I have seen have got straight 9s. Do you think this would make much difference in my application? (I got 9s in all the subjects I am studying at A level) (sorry if this comes across as whiney, I'm just stressed ah)

Results are contextualised. I went to a session by an admissions tutor and she summed it up perfectly - she said that, despite a student's GCSE profile being 9A*s for instance, if their school's average was 10A*s, they would be looked at as having underperformed. This is the same the other way round: 5A*s at a school with an average of 2 is a massive overperformance!

Another thing to note is that Unis will view 9s and 8s as the same.

For greater context, I received 9888888876 at GCSE.
Here's what Cambridge has to say about GCSEs for anyone worried about their grades:

"There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE."

(Taken from the undergraduate admissions page: https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements)

As you can see, you certainly don't need straight 8s and 9s to be considered a strong or successful applicant, and having stellar results such as these don't guarantee a place either. It's a holistic process, so if you're passionate about your subject and your predicted grades meet the entry requirements, then apply! You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.
Original post by danm26
1) Edexcel Maths and Further Maths. AQA Economics. OCR History (4 A* predicted)
2) Mathematics
3) 9999988888 + A in FSMQ, does it even matter that much since these are covid grades?
4) Cambridge's maths course is more what I'm looking for. I think it's better than Oxford's. Also, I've been to Oxford (the city) once and hopefully never again.
5) STEP and an interview admissions test. I have started preparation with many many STEP papers which are getting better and more doable.
6) Absolutely nothing and I regret it. I spent lockdown not only not joining school lessons, but doing nothing in general which meant I didn't have any practice for my mocks and had to cram in about 4 months worth of work in a week and also meant it isn't in my long term memory yet. So I have to work non stop in summer.
7) Ideally, go into Investment banking for a couple of years, at Goldman Sachs, and then go to university in the US, like Stanford or Upenn, and complete an MBA course. Then return to IB before leaving for private equity or initiating a hedge fund.
8) Trinity. Best for maths.

Please find Cambridge Demystified link for Maths below:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467624&p=88369390#post88369390
Original post by will queens
Heeeyyy everyone

1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
Biology, Chemistry, Maths. I am also taking EPQ but I think I'm going to drop that soon.

2) What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why?
Medicineee, I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time, doubted myself recently but I'm back on track.

3) What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any?
988888777777 and nope

4) Why Cambridge specifically? and why not Oxford?
My GCSEs aren't really good enough for Oxford and I generally prefer Cam as a city. Much prettier in my humble opinion 😂

5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
BMAT (and UCAT for all my other choices). I'm sitting the UCAT at the very start of September so I've just started preparing. I will be sitting the BMAT in November, so will probably start preparing early October after UCAS is submitted and my mocks are done.

6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
I have done Brighton Sussex Medical School virtual work experience, Observe GP, a month long virtual programme with my local trust, working part time for 2 years at a supermarket, further reading books, 2 MOOCs, one on disparities in public health between countries, the other on cancer treatments.

7) What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge?
doctor tingz, maybe some research but we shall see.

8) Have you decided which college you're applying to?
I am visiting Cambridge next week to hopefully get a feel, even if I can only see the colleges from the street😭. So far I love the look of: Downing, Gonville and Caius, Emmanuel, Selwyn and Corpus Christi. I like the look of trinity and Johns too but I think they're a bit big for my liking.

Here is the link to Cambridge demystified medical chapter.

I would honestly look into research as well, as this will be a competitive course (from an Oxford 5th year medic's mothers point of view)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6479550&p=88494984#post88494984
Helloo :smile:
1) What A Levels are you taking from September (or other eligible qualifications)?
Psychology, English Literature, Geography
PBS (psychological and behavioural studies) - I'd like to be a clinical psychologist
9998888766 & nope
Mainly just the course outline - Oxford has an experimental approach, whilst Cambridge is focused more on social sciences etc
5) Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them?
I'm aware that some Cambridge colleges do require assessments to be sat for PBS - Newnham has an at-interview written assessment, which I don't really know how to prepare for? maybe I should find a couple of questions and start thinking about and planning answers for them.
6) What have you done in lockdown to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge?
I've started volunteering at a hospital to get a look at the clinical side of psychology - whilst befriending youth patients etc
I've also read many books & attended webinars, as well as MOOC's and spring pod's work experience - I've also been keeping up with the psychology review magazines (reading the older versions is really interesting as you get to see how research has changed)
I'd love to be a clinical psychologist, so after my degree I'm hoping to do a doctorate. If not, I'd definitely stay in academia and do a masters or PhD !
maybe Christ's or Newnham? I'm not really sure yet

Anyone else interested in PBS? :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
hi guys, need to start revising for the nsaa and was just wondering what a good score would be/ what the average successful applicant gets...
Original post by studyholmes
Helloo :smile:
Psychology, English Literature, Geography
PBS (psychological and behavioural studies) - I'd like to be a clinical psychologist
9998888766 & nope
Mainly just the course outline - Oxford has an experimental approach, whilst Cambridge is focused more on social sciences etc
I'm aware that some Cambridge colleges do require assessments to be sat for PBS - Newnham has an at-interview written assessment, which I don't really know how to prepare for? maybe I should find a couple of questions and start thinking about and planning answers for them.
I've started volunteering at a hospital to get a look at the clinical side of psychology - whilst befriending youth patients etc
I've also read many books & attended webinars, as well as MOOC's and spring pod's work experience - I've also been keeping up with the psychology review magazines (reading the older versions is really interesting as you get to see how research has changed)
I'd love to be a clinical psychologist, so after my degree I'm hoping to do a doctorate. If not, I'd definitely stay in academia and do a masters or PhD !
maybe Christ's or Newnham? I'm not really sure yet

Anyone else interested in PBS? :tongue:

PBS has to be the most fascinating subject in Cambridge! Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6641356&p=90439622#post90439622
I’m new to TSR so i’m not sure if I’m doing this right but 😩:

AQA Geography, Economics & Edexcel Maths

Geography! I’ve had a recent change of heard from Economics because I don’t take Further Maths and I was very scared of the maths content! Geography also just appeals to me more now haha

99988888777D*
Not retaking any, very glad to have got these because a lot of people in my school had awful results day and couldn’t take the A levels they wanted to!

The cambridge course defo appeals to me more… and the fact that they’ve scrapped the TSA makes it a winner (someone please double check this for me lol)

* as mentioned before I don’t think I have any …. I also got put off Economics as I saw they’ve introduced a new Admissions test and the layout of it looked horrible!

I’ve read current affair articles throughout year 12 (geog is a very fast-paced subject) and I have a few roles in some societies in school. A lot of my super/extra curric are for economics so i’m on a mad dash to add more geog things :smile:

Undecided… maybe a little bit of research (maybe masters) . But ultimately I do want to work

Not yet! From what I’ve seen all the entry requirements are the same so I wouldn’t decide upon that.
Original post by Oxford Mum
PBS has to be the most fascinating subject in Cambridge! Here is the Cambridge Demystified chapter:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6641356&p=90439622#post90439622

Awesome! Thankyou so much :smile:
Original post by will queens
Heeeyyy everyone

Biology, Chemistry, Maths. I am also taking EPQ but I think I'm going to drop that soon.

Medicineee, I've wanted to be a doctor for a long time, doubted myself recently but I'm back on track.

988888777777 and nope

My GCSEs aren't really good enough for Oxford and I generally prefer Cam as a city. Much prettier in my humble opinion 😂

BMAT (and UCAT for all my other choices). I'm sitting the UCAT at the very start of September so I've just started preparing. I will be sitting the BMAT in November, so will probably start preparing early October after UCAS is submitted and my mocks are done.

I have done Brighton Sussex Medical School virtual work experience, Observe GP, a month long virtual programme with my local trust, working part time for 2 years at a supermarket, further reading books, 2 MOOCs, one on disparities in public health between countries, the other on cancer treatments.

doctor tingz, maybe some research but we shall see.

I am visiting Cambridge next week to hopefully get a feel, even if I can only see the colleges from the street😭. So far I love the look of: Downing, Gonville and Caius, Emmanuel, Selwyn and Corpus Christi. I like the look of trinity and Johns too but I think they're a bit big for my liking.

Are Cambridge now allowing you to come and visit? How do you book a tour?
Original post by numnum1111

You'll really need to check individual college websites - all updates on visiting will be there. I think most are allowing visits, with some limits or restrictions to be expected tho.
Original post by Paralove
You'll really need to check individual college websites - all updates on visiting will be there. I think most are allowing visits, with some limits or restrictions to be expected tho.

Paralove is correct in that the colleges still say that they are closed to the public - when I was there last week the city centre colleges all had no visitor signs prominently displayed. However, Homerton has already announced that offer holders will be able to book in person tours in the second half of August.

The best advice would be to contact individual colleges to see what their policy now is - say that you are considering applying. We can but hope that there will be a relaxation for potential applicants within the next few months.
Original post by iloveanimals100
hi guys, need to start revising for the nsaa and was just wondering what a good score would be/ what the average successful applicant gets...

(1) Be confident in your subject knowledge in maths and your chosen subject. The NSAA tests how well you can apply that knowledge - take a look at the specimen papers and the 2020 past papers on the Cambridge website (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences#entry-requirements). As to when you start revising, that's entirely up to you. Take a look at the specification, and work out if there any gaps in your subject knowledge.

(2) How long is a piece of string? Successful candidates have results within a wide range (which is further complicated by the different subject options), and these will vary from year to year. There are FOI requests which outline the scores candidates have achieved.

The key thing is not to be overly concerned by this issue - simply do your best on the day, and leave the sifting to the academics!
Original post by gracieex
I’m new to TSR so i’m not sure if I’m doing this right but 😩:

AQA Geography, Economics & Edexcel Maths

Geography! I’ve had a recent change of heard from Economics because I don’t take Further Maths and I was very scared of the maths content! Geography also just appeals to me more now haha

99988888777D*
Not retaking any, very glad to have got these because a lot of people in my school had awful results day and couldn’t take the A levels they wanted to!

The cambridge course defo appeals to me more… and the fact that they’ve scrapped the TSA makes it a winner (someone please double check this for me lol)

* as mentioned before I don’t think I have any …. I also got put off Economics as I saw they’ve introduced a new Admissions test and the layout of it looked horrible!

I’ve read current affair articles throughout year 12 (geog is a very fast-paced subject) and I have a few roles in some societies in school. A lot of my super/extra curric are for economics so i’m on a mad dash to add more geog things :smile:

Undecided… maybe a little bit of research (maybe masters) . But ultimately I do want to work

Not yet! From what I’ve seen all the entry requirements are the same so I wouldn’t decide upon that.

Best wishes with your application. You are correct - the TSA is not a requirement for Geography applicants in 2021.
Original post by 学生の父

The best advice would be to contact individual colleges to see what their policy now is - say that you are considering applying. We can but hope that there will be a relaxation for potential applicants within the next few months.

It's so difficult for applicants, isn't it. I don't think I gained a huge amount from when I went to look at my (eventual) college before applying, but I"m still glad I had a bit of a look round. It must be odd applying 'blind', so to speak.
Original post by 学生の父
Best wishes with your application. You are correct - the TSA is not a requirement for Geography applicants in 2021.

Thank you! Goodluck to everyone else looking at geography too x
Original post by Reality Check
It's so difficult for applicants, isn't it. I don't think I gained a huge amount from when I went to look at my (eventual) college before applying, but I"m still glad I had a bit of a look round. It must be odd applying 'blind', so to speak.

Quite. #2 child missed out on an open day, in person interview, choral audition and offer holder day. They haven't visited their college or academic department. I don't think this will be at all unusual for those starting in October.
Having said that, the colleges have done their level best to give online advice and encouragement.
Original post by iloveanimals100

You can find the averages for all the admissions tests (2019) here, including the difference between offer-holders and applicants. You can find the conversion tables (for converting your raw marks to the scaled mark) here. For some idea of the scores people get accepted with, here are the scores of Girton offer-holders from the same year.

I've done the maths before (possibly with older data), and the averages work out to (roughly):
Applicants: 56%
Offer-holders (Maintained schools): 62%
Offer-holders (Independent schools): 69%

However, if you aren't getting those you still have a chance - Applicants are successful with scores as low as 3s and 4s (sometimes lower), which is equivalent to about 35%. Equally, applicants with 8s and 9s (80%+) are rejected, so doing well doesn't guarantee you a place.
(edited 2 years ago)
My friend went to Cambridge last week and the colleges wouldn't let him in.

Latest