The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Would this explain the rise in offers in 2021 as well?

And would a higher number of offers for deferred entry mean that there would be fewer places available this year?

The figure for 2021 is within natural fluctuation. As Law is not subject to any sort of quota (unlike Medicine), the number of offers made can vary from year to year.

Deferred entry (people applying knowing they wish to take a gap year) is comparatively uncommon: less than 5% of our applicants (across all subjects) last year chose to do this. Therefore the number of offers with deferred entry is also small.

Finally, we really recommend that students don't play the numbers game and try to guess how likely they are to get in at different colleges. It's impossible to predict, not least because you can only see your own application and not those of other applicants. If you are a strong applicant, you will either be made an offer or put in the Pool by the College you've applied to (or been allocated to if you've made an Open Application) and there are always colleges looking for strong applications in the Pool. You can spend hours trying to theoretically maximise your chances of an offer by poring over college application statistics, only to find that everyone else has done the same and now one college has a bumper crop of applicants. We'd recommend you do something else with your time!
Reply 1061
@Peterhouse Admissions
Are there any overlap in the admissions process between Land Economy and Economics applications? Would it matter/be unadvisable to apply to the same college for Land Economy if I previously applied for Economics? As far as I am aware they are two different faculties.
Original post by H4ttie03
I've submitted my application for law guys anyone else done theres yet?

Hey, I submitted my application for law a few weeks ago and did an open application
Reply 1063
Original post by Anonymous
Hey everyone! I've applied to do Land Economy at Trinity Hall. Super excited!

Hey, what were your grades?
Original post by Lokiops
Hey, I submitted my application for law a few weeks ago and did an open application

Ah cool well best of luck!
Original post by H4ttie03
Ah cool well best of luck!

you too :smile:
Hello, does anyone know where to input predicted grades on the UCAS application? I can't seem to find a section for it.
Your school input the grades:wink:
Original post by Dapper Fighter
Your school input the grades:wink:

Can my referee input it?
how important are predicted grades as long you meet the requirements
Original post by liaoll
how important are predicted grades as long you meet the requirements

to my knowledge Cambridge care more about your grades than oxford does, so the higher the better
Original post by cakt-us
1. Economics, English Literature, and History (currently predicted A*A*A, which I hope to boost). This year I got an A in AS Thinking Skills and am planning on taking AS Mathematics in 2022.
2. What course at Cambridge do you have your eyes on? And why? English Literature, mostly because I’m a voracious reader, love the subject, and have come to the realisation that I don’t want to do any other courses. 😂 The process of elimination.
3. What grades did you get at GCSE? Are you retaking any? 999999999 and one 8 in Further Maths.
4. Why Cambridge specifically and not Oxford? I originally thought Oxford would be the better option for me, but as my interests have developed, I realise I prefer Modernism, American literature, etc. and that isn’t available at Oxford.
5. Which admissions tests do you have to sit, and when will you start preparing for them? The ELAT, which I have just started preparing for.
6. What have you done to help your studies and potentially your application to Cambridge? Over the summer I did a summer school, am writing an essay for an internal competition, probably have to write some essays that I can submit when I apply, etc.
7. What do you want to do with your degree from Cambridge? I was originally considering law conversion but I’m not sure. Potentially academia?
8. Have you decided which college you're applying to? No, I have yet to decide.

1. I didn't wind up taking AS Maths (because of a scheduling conflict), but fortunately managed to boost my History grade, so have applied with A*A*A*.
4. To clarify, you can study Modernist literature at Oxford, but I think that there is a far broader scope at Cambridge. Also I like the look of the Practical Criticism movement, which is the key difference for English Literature.
8. Jesus College! Everyone I tell makes fun of the name, but I really like it.

Currently conflicted as to whether I should write something in the additional personal statement section of the SAQ. I've also applied to UCL, Durham, St Andrews, and Birmingham (which I got an offer for because they are incredibly speedy :smile:).
Just wondering if someone could help me out! Applied for HSPS and my SAQ is nearly all done apart from the modular A levels. Im in Wales sitting WJEC but we obviously didn't sit exams last year so I have no UMS marks. What should I put down in place?
I am in the process of filling out the SAQ. As I am from Wales sitting WJEC, I'm taking modular A levels but obviously nobody has UMS marks because we didn't actually sit exams. What are we meant to put in the UMS marks box? Don't want to leave it blank because it says "leaving this blank will disadvantage your application". Any help would be much appreciated! @Peterhouse Admissions
Original post by elleigator
I am in the process of filling out the SAQ. As I am from Wales sitting WJEC, I'm taking modular A levels but obviously nobody has UMS marks because we didn't actually sit exams. What are we meant to put in the UMS marks box? Don't want to leave it blank because it says "leaving this blank will disadvantage your application". Any help would be much appreciated! @Peterhouse Admissions

If you don't have UMS marks, you don't have UMS marks. Most applicants won't have them (in non-covid years) anyway and that number will be higher this year.

We ask people not to leave it blank if they have them (because they wouldn't be disclosing all the relevant information), but we recognise that most people won't have them.
Original post by rs1917
@Peterhouse Admissions
Are there any overlap in the admissions process between Land Economy and Economics applications? Would it matter/be unadvisable to apply to the same college for Land Economy if I previously applied for Economics? As far as I am aware they are two different faculties.

It's unlikely there will be much overlap, but it's conceivable you could be interviewed by an Economics Fellow from that college. The Director of Studies who reviews the application is likely to be a Land Economist.
Original post by Alexw0311
Hello, does anyone know where to input predicted grades on the UCAS application? I can't seem to find a section for it.

Your school referee will be able to see the space to put the predicted grades on UCAS.
Original post by elleigator

Your AS levels in 2021 were effectively linear qualifications due to the pandemic, and they won't count towards your A2 A-levels. In other words, you didn't get UMS marks, only Centre Determined Grades, and your A-levels will not be modular in the usual sense of the term --- all your eggs will be in the 2022 basket.

What #2 Child did last year was put a note on the SAQ to say that they didn't receive AS UMSes due to the pandemic. The statement was somewhat redundant given that no Welsh learners got UMSes in 2020, but you can say something similar if you like.
1.Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Welshbacc (WJEC)
2.Applied for Land Economy since it seems less competitive than economics
3. 7A*3A
4.Im not a tory and Oxford didn't do Land economy
5.anyone else doing TSA?
7.Investment banking or Big4 analyst
8.Homerton
honestly just applied to Cambridge because i have good grades and the public college i go to offered a lot of support with PS, interviews, good reference ect.
(edited 2 years ago)
does anyone know how to add the unit codes for your a level subjects in the saq i cant find it for my aqa subjects and some of the titles don’t fit in the box
Original post by louisa03
Thank you for your answer! Is this the case for all colleges?

Yes. :smile:

As I said, it may be that they haven't sent it out just yet (e.g. waiting for the 15 October deadline - just an example as I don't know specifics on how other colleges plan to do it), so ensure to keep an eye on emails including spam/junk daily for that and other important information.

Latest

Trending

Trending