The Student Room Group

Software/hardware advice (needed for maths work)

Hi there :smile:.

Does anyone know if there is something I can use to write on that would display it on a PowerPoint presentation?

I am currently writing formulas in PowerPoint and it would be much quicker if I had something I can download or connect to my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina. I currently use the insert equations function that PowerPoint has.

So I am after something I can write an answer down and it is recognised by PowerPoint and stays in there. Or anything similar I can move over to PowerPoint by just copying and pasting it.

I've tried writing it on paper then taking a picture, emailing it over and pasting it into the PowerPoint but this still takes time to do :s-smilie:.

Hope that makes sense.
Just learn and use LaTeX, once you learn how to use LaTeX formatting it's generally the easiest way to typeset maths and once you get used to the syntax is pretty quick. I don't know if PowerPoint supports LaTeX formatting natively, but you can always use something like TeXworks or similar to export it to a PDF and then copy that over...still more time consuming than being able to put it in directly, but less time consuming than taking a picture on an external device, connecting it and copying the image over, then inserting that into the slideshow.
Original post by makin
Hi there :smile:.

Does anyone know if there is something I can use to write on that would display it on a PowerPoint presentation?

I am currently writing formulas in PowerPoint and it would be much quicker if I had something I can download or connect to my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina. I currently use the insert equations function that PowerPoint has.

So I am after something I can write an answer down and it is recognised by PowerPoint and stays in there. Or anything similar I can move over to PowerPoint by just copying and pasting it.

I've tried writing it on paper then taking a picture, emailing it over and pasting it into the PowerPoint but this still takes time to do :s-smilie:.

Hope that makes sense.

If you're just doing little bits you can write them in Desmos and screenshot them. Very quick and easy.
Reply 3
Original post by Plücker
If you're just doing little bits you can write them in Desmos and screenshot them. Very quick and easy.

I would recommend MathType instead of Desmos for this as you can setup custom preferences to make typing much more efficient.
Original post by TSR360
I would recommend MathType instead of Desmos for this as you can setup custom preferences to make typing much more efficient.

Don't you have to pay for that?

Quick Reply

Latest