anonymous...123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hey, was just wondering if my EPQ title was too broad? It was originally ‘To what extent is body language involved in human communication?’ but because of the lack of counter-argument (trying to argue that other factors were just as involved), I changed it to ‘In what ways is body language involved in human communication?‘

I still have a chance to change it but I wanna know other people’s opinions.
harleynotquinn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
"to what extent is body language involved in human communication?" doesn't actually sound that vague; considering my epq title is "does music have the power to heal?" i'd say your title is definitely more specific and outlines your research better than mine
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anonymous...123)
Hey, was just wondering if my EPQ title was too broad? It was originally ‘To what extent is body language involved in human communication?’ but because of the lack of counter-argument (trying to argue that other factors were just as involved), I changed it to ‘In what ways is body language involved in human communication?‘

I still have a chance to change it but I wanna know other people’s opinions.
The first one is uninspiring but ok.
The second one is worse and less interesting. Definitely very dull and less potential than the first.

You arent writing a textbook, they can get a professionally written one if they want to read one.
You are conducting an investigation into an issue, so dont send people to sleep make it interesting and ask the questions any normally inquisitive person would want answered. Decide on the different sides to the investigation and in time explore the merits of both and then which one you prefer and why.
anonymous...123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
The first one is uninspiring but ok.
The second one is worse and less interesting. Definitely very dull and less potential than the first.

You arent writing a textbook, they can get a professionally written one if they want to read one.
You are conducting an investigation into an issue, so dont send people to sleep make it interesting and ask the questions any normally inquisitive person would want answered. Decide on the different sides to the investigation and in time explore the merits of both and then which one you prefer and why.
Ahhh I see, thanks so much for the honesty
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anonymous...123)
Ahhh I see, thanks so much for the honesty
Hi, agree with 999tigger. And personally, I think it is broad as well, which is not good. Definitely make it more specific and interfacing. For example, maybe focus on human communication and babies or young children. For example ‘How does body language affect the cognitive development of 0-5 year olds?’ This is more scientific but can be made more interesting by focusing on the psychological impact. It is now commonly known that the majority of our communication is non-verbal right? And it has a huge impact on how children develop. Open and loving body language can teach children how to be social, open and caring. So what happens if the child is only exposed to closed and cold body language? Is it possible for exposure to bad language to cause psychological issues in kids? Probably not, but it’s an interesting question I suppose.

Or how about ‘Should body language be regarded as an important factor in convicting criminals?’ For example, google child killers mick philpott and Ian Huntley. They were both child killers who made convincing cases of being innocent...until experts know body language and linguistics examined, well, their body language, and confirmed they were indeed guilty. It was their body language that gave away there guilt, alongside other things of course, but body language experts and psychologists are often used in criminal investigations. So maybe that’s a much more specific and interesting question.

Hopefully I’ve given you some ideas
anonymous...123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
Hi, agree with 999tigger. And personally, I think it is broad as well, which is not good. Definitely make it more specific and interfacing. For example, maybe focus on human communication and babies or young children. For example ‘How does body language affect the cognitive development of 0-5 year olds?’ This is more scientific but can be made more interesting by focusing on the psychological impact. It is now commonly known that the majority of our communication is non-verbal right? And it has a huge impact on how children develop. Open and loving body language can teach children how to be social, open and caring. So what happens if the child is only exposed to closed and cold body language? Is it possible for exposure to bad language to cause psychological issues in kids? Probably not, but it’s an interesting question I suppose.

Or how about ‘Should body language be regarded as an important factor in convicting criminals?’ For example, google child killers mick philpott and Ian Huntley. They were both child killers who made convincing cases of being innocent...until experts know body language and linguistics examined, well, their body language, and confirmed they were indeed guilty. It was their body language that gave away there guilt, alongside other things of course, but body language experts and psychologists are often used in criminal investigations. So maybe that’s a much more specific and interesting question.

Hopefully I’ve given you some ideas
very helpful, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (46)
37.7%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (12)
9.84%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.1%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
23.77%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (20)
16.39%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed