Tory attacks on the law

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
The Secret Barrister has a new book out which lays out the ways the Tories (particularly Boris Johnson) have systematically attacked judges and the rule of law in Britain.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...cret-barrister

It's a very good reminder that all authoritarian states start their progress towards totalitarianism by attacking the judiciary and free media. The Tories have also been engaged in the latter, neutering the BBC, cutting its budget and gaming it to attract criticism of it, for example by ending taxpayer support for free TV licenses for the over 75s.

The attacks on judges are ill informed and distorted. Johnson appears to demand that his government win every single judicial decision. If they don't, he accuses them of being enemies of the people. The right wing media eagerly and uncritically repeat these lies.

Democracy in this country is in a dangerous state. It isn't just Hungary, Belarus or Poland, Brazil or the US where it is in deep trouble.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You got my hopes up that the book was out now -.- False advertising here!
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is good that glorious boris is here to protect us from slipping into a medieval court system where the public can be hauled away and have their heads chopped off.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is another example of why I argue we do not have a Conservative government, but a government led by the Conservative Party.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The Secret Barrister has a new book out which lays out the ways the Tories (particularly Boris Johnson) have systematically attacked judges and the rule of law in Britain.
https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...cret-barrister

It's a very good reminder that all authoritarian states start their progress towards totalitarianism by attacking the judiciary and free media. The Tories have also been engaged in the latter, neutering the BBC, cutting its budget and gaming it to attract criticism of it, for example by ending taxpayer support for free TV licenses for the over 75s.

The attacks on judges are ill informed and distorted. Johnson appears to demand that his government win every single judicial decision. If they don't, he accuses them of being enemies of the people. The right wing media eagerly and uncritically repeat these lies.

Democracy in this country is in a dangerous state. It isn't just Hungary, Belarus or Poland, Brazil or the US where it is in deep trouble.
Contrary to the thrust of the Guardian article judicial review is all to frequently a technique for judges to interfere with decisions with which they disagree.

When you look at decisions for power stations or airports, the idea that civil servants who have spent years of their lives working on that single project fail to take account of some relevant factor in putting words in the mouth of their Minister is laughable. It is a device to block by sending it round for reconsideration.

You can see the attitude in the Guardian.contrary to the Guardian this isn’t an oppressive state bearing down on an individual. This is an elected Government trying to carry out the infrastructure projects that it was elected to carry out.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Contrary to the thrust of the Guardian article judicial review is all to frequently a technique for judges to interfere with decisions with which they disagree.

When you look at decisions for power stations or airports, the idea that civil servants who have spent years of their lives working on that single project fail to take account of some relevant factor in putting words in the mouth of their Minister is laughable. It is a device to block by sending it round for reconsideration.

You can see the attitude in the Guardian.contrary to the Guardian this isn’t an oppressive state bearing down on an individual. This is an elected Government trying to carry out the infrastructure projects that it was elected to carry out.
The article is all about Brexit and judge-blaming in that context, so I think your comments are a bit aside from the main thrust. I don't think though that infrastructure projects should be immune from due process.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
The article is all about Brexit and judge-blaming in that context, so I think your comments are a bit aside from the main thrust. I don't think though that infrastructure projects should be immune from due process.
Brexit is a smokescreen here. Big Constitutional cases have always attracted politicised comment from the parties.

Noticeably amongst all the Constitutional lawyers on the Government’s review, there is a planning barrister. It is immigration and planning decisions where the Government feels its hands are tied; that whatever the Government does, the courts are sabotaging the position. In the case of immigration the problem is that the Home Office, through duplicity, has lost the trust of the judiciary. In the case of planning, it is the courts that have lost their way.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Our judges and legal system are consistently weak. Quite frankly, I don’t have any issues with the tightening up of laws, and the increasing of sentences if it makes me safer, which I fully believe it will. Get the life long criminals off the street and into a jail cell for life. Our judges at the moment wouldn’t dare do that, they’re a joke. Never is there appropriate sentences given out for the crimes committed.

Secondly, the BBC should be defunded. It’s not fit for purpose. It’s meant to be impartial, but never is, and is only supported by the left wing loons which it consistently supports.
Last edited by imlikeahermit; 4 weeks ago
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Brexit is a smokescreen here. Big Constitutional cases have always attracted politicised comment from the parties.

Noticeably amongst all the Constitutional lawyers on the Government’s review, there is a planning barrister. It is immigration and planning decisions where the Government feels its hands are tied; that whatever the Government does, the courts are sabotaging the position. In the case of immigration the problem is that the Home Office, through duplicity, has lost the trust of the judiciary. In the case of planning, it is the courts that have lost their way.
Don't ministers swear to uphold the law? Which is what the judges have been doing.

As Secret Barrister says, there is something deeply disturbing about a government that has so much contempt for the law and its officers. One of the most lamentable examples was their Attorney General immediately clearing a SPAD of wrong doing in public in the teeth of the facts and pre-empting any court verdict on possible breaches of the law.

The current lot quite clearly think they are above the law. It's out of the Trump and Putin playbooks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.7%
No (285)
78.3%

Watched Threads