Advanced/Postgraduate Diploma in Economics

Watch
Sharon0314
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is anyone else considering applying to this course this year?
I have just finished an Arts & Humanities undergraduate degree at Oxford (1st) and is looking to convert to economics for masters. Considering Birkbeck, Nottingham, Warwick, (maybe Cambridge if I'm really feeling confident) etc.. Would love to meet people who are also looking to apply to postgraduate diploma in econ! Thanks in advance
Ivsieu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sharon0314)
Is anyone else considering applying to this course this year?
I have just finished an Arts & Humanities undergraduate degree at Oxford (1st) and is looking to convert to economics for masters. Considering Birkbeck, Nottingham, Warwick, (maybe Cambridge if I'm really feeling confident) etc.. Would love to meet people who are also looking to apply to postgraduate diploma in econ! Thanks in advance
Hi Sharon! I do! I have just finished a dual degree in Business and International Relations and I am personally considering Brikbeck's PG certificate in Econometrics (4,340pounds), in Applied Statistics (or PG diploma in Economics (8,680pounds). My goal is to enhance my CV with some hard econ/stats skills while I acquire some professional experience. I also take it as a step to get closer to a MA in International Political Economy at some prestigious university (Kings or LSE) after all this covid madness is over. What about you? Have you chosen already?
Sharon0314
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ivsieu)
Hi Sharon! I do! I have just finished a dual degree in Business and International Relations and I am personally considering Brikbeck's PG certificate in Econometrics (4,340pounds), in Applied Statistics (or PG diploma in Economics (8,680pounds). My goal is to enhance my CV with some hard econ/stats skills while I acquire some professional experience. I also take it as a step to get closer to a MA in International Political Economy at some prestigious university (Kings or LSE) after all this covid madness is over. What about you? Have you chosen already?
Hey Iv, so glad to see your reply! I'm thinking of Birbeck too, specifically the PG Diploma (because I heard people can get into some very good masters program afterwards), but am slightly concerned about whether the 1-year conversion course is too intense for people like me with no economic background though. I feel the same with you on applying for this course, for me coming from a non-quantitative background does seem to put me in a disadvantage position, so I'm interested in learning technical skills that I can put to use when I'm applying for a masters in economics (or related subjects). Are you taking a gap year at the moment? When are you thinking of applying?
Ivsieu
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, i'm gonna apply this weekend to their September/october intake as they are still open to applications. I have taken some quantitative subject in my business bachelor (stats, econometrics, economics...) that will surely help me out. Said this, I believe you can do perfectly fine in the Economics diploma if you're committed. As the website indicates, it is tailored for those without a background in economics. Reviewing basic stuff (what is GDP & how to calculate it, super basic equations and theory) prior to starting the program (through youtube, EdX...) will give you a head start but ain't necessary. Now, a PG Cert in econometrics is some other story. I am myself scared of it too. However, the certificate adapts better to my budget and time availability as I'm looking forward to work part-time while studying. Birkbeck btw holds class in the afternoon/evening mostly so that professionals can attend.
Sharon0314
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Ivsieu)
Well, i'm gonna apply this weekend to their September/october intake as they are still open to applications. I have taken some quantitative subject in my business bachelor (stats, econometrics, economics...) that will surely help me out. Said this, I believe you can do perfectly fine in the Economics diploma if you're committed. As the website indicates, iSort is tailored for those without a background in economics. Reviewing basic stuff (what is GDP & how to calculate it, super basic equations and theory) prior to starting the program (through youtube, EdX...) will give you a head start but ain't necessary. Now, a PG Cert in econometrics is some other story. I am myself scared of it too. However, the certificate adapts better to my budget and time availability as I'm looking forward to work part-time while studying. Birkbeck btw holds class in the afternoon/evening mostly so that professionals can attend.
That sounds great! Sorry for the late reply, how was your application?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (85)
21.25%
No (315)
78.75%

Watched Threads