becky.specks
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I am taking English Literature A Level , Edexcel and am wondering what the best book to compare The handmaid's tale to would be. I have a choice of; never let me go, Frankenstein, and the war of worlds. Does anyone have any experience of comparing any of these books with The handmaid's tale? Thank you 😊
13Charlotte2001
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I don't have any experience actually comparing them but, having read all four books, I'd suggest you compare Handmaid's Tale to Never Let Me Go. I feel like some interesting points could be made about how the systems in place mean that the bodies of the main characters are not their own. Both also carry themes of a separation between mind and body. However, Never Let Me Go is really a scientific dystopia where Handmaid's Tale is more religious.
Hope this helps?
Last edited by 13Charlotte2001; 8 months ago
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by becky.specks)
I am taking English Literature A Level , Edexcel and am wondering what the best book to compare The handmaid's tale to would be. I have a choice of; never let me go, Frankenstein, and the war of worlds. Does anyone have any experience of comparing any of these books with The handmaid's tale? Thank you 😊
Never Let Me Go is definitely a good one to compare it to (I think NLMG and Handmaid's Tale are the two options for 'Science and Society' in the current Edexcel A Level syllabus by Pearson). I've personally asked my students to compare Handmaid to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World - here's a post I wrote comparing the two texts, see if it helps / gives you some ideas! https://hyperbolit.com/2020/05/30/wh...ave-new-world/
username5380366
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
never let me go is one i compared it too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads