nwilliamson151
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm planning to apply for uni next year (2021 entry) but I am really struggling to pick a course! I think it's between Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering, Biotechnology or natural sciences. (for context I am studying maths physics and biology and am aspiring to get A*AA) I've done quite a bit of research but if anyone had anything to say about any of these courses that would be a massive help Image
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe look at the course modules and see which you like more?
nwilliamson151
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
Maybe look at the course modules and see which you like more?
Yeah I've had a look I think my main concern is career options after university as I think I'd enjoy biotechnology most but not sure where it can actually take me.
Ai Nisa
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nwilliamson151)
Hi, I'm planning to apply for uni next year (2021 entry) but I am really struggling to pick a course! I think it's between Biomedical Engineering/Bioengineering, Biotechnology or natural sciences. (for context I am studying maths physics and biology and am aspiring to get A*AA) I've done quite a bit of research but if anyone had anything to say about any of these courses that would be a massive help Image
what you do depend on what your goal is.
from what understand that you like biology and research,but what in biology you like?
Biomedical Engineering is building and creating new things for organisms,like an new gene or prosthetics.
Biotechnology is part of Biomedical Engineering, that only based on technology and biology.
thenoname
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nwilliamson151)
I would go for bioengineering/biomed engineering just because it sounds like it would be fun/interesting.
Natasha151
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I think the problem is I’m worried that biomedical engineering is too focused on the medical side, I do enjoy that but I’d also like to apply the engineering to issues like the environment which is important to me and I’m not sure I’ll be able to do that with biomedical engineering. I’m also not that interested in medical devices and am more interested in the molecular engineering and design part although I like the idea of the creativity that engineers have. Sorry for the long reply but if you have any further advice that would be great!
Auntie_Autie2019
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Natasha151)
I think the problem is I’m worried that biomedical engineering is too focused on the medical side, I do enjoy that but I’d also like to apply the engineering to issues like the environment which is important to me and I’m not sure I’ll be able to do that with biomedical engineering. I’m also not that interested in medical devices and am more interested in the molecular engineering and design part although I like the idea of the creativity that engineers have. Sorry for the long reply but if you have any further advice that would be great!
What about Environmental Engineering?
nwilliamson151
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ai Nisa)
what you do depend on what your goal is.
from what understand that you like biology and research,but what in biology you like?
Biomedical Engineering is building and creating new things for organisms,like an new gene or prosthetics.
Biotechnology is part of Biomedical Engineering, that only based on technology and biology.
I like the idea that I can apply bioengineering to the environment because I really like micro/molecular biology but not just in a medical context
nwilliamson151
Rep:
?
(Original post by Auntie_Autie2019)
What about Environmental Engineering?
I have looked into that but I feel like this completely gets rid of the biological part which I also like
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise