Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm 24 and I left school without any gcses. Now that I'm looking back I regret it and want to do them but I don't know how I can and secondly I'm not sure if there is any point. Can someone help me decide if taking gcses is the right decision and where can I take gcses?
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 24 and I left school without any gcses. Now that I'm looking back I regret it and want to do them but I don't know how I can and secondly I'm not sure if there is any point. Can someone help me decide if taking gcses is the right decision and where can I take gcses?
What is it that you regret about not doing them?
Would you want to do them in order to change/progress careers?
CletusPotter
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes there is. The majority of jobs require at least 5, and some even require as much as 9 GCSEs.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CletusPotter)
Yes there is. The majority of jobs require at least 5, and some even require as much as 9 GCSEs.
What kind of jobs require 9 gcses?
CletusPotter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Certain apprenticeships do e.g. IT Technician. As does working for a certain alarm company in Norwich funnily enough.
deep_learning
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Acquiring your GCSE if you haven't previously is definitely worth it. Achieving GCSE qualifications can definitely open a lot of door for you. You can look into applying for Internships afterwards towards any profession - depending on your interests and ultimately, grades. In terms of actually sitting your GCSE's after leaving school. I think you might need to go to a local college and speak to their admin teams. They will guide you better on certain schemes if available, or alternatives. Good luck to you!
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No job requires 9 GCSEs - do you plan to go to university? You could do an access to HE course or study with the OU.
Abzzz57
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I'm not 100% sure where you can do your GCSEs but I left school with terrible GSCEs and no a levels (it was Scotland so intermediates and highers), but I've worked in plenty of places that did not require my high school grades and I started university last year by going into a foundation year.. I'm also 26.

So it completely depends on what you want to go into, it may be a longer road and mean having to work your way up the ranks but that's not to say you can't succeed by entering a job at a lower level and working your way up. Or going into university and getting a degree.. good luck either way!
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I would highly recommend retaking your GCSE’s and this can be done at most colleges but you normally have to pay for it.
CletusPotter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
No job requires 9 GCSEs - do you plan to go to university? You could do an access to HE course or study with the OU.
I respectfully disagree. Some apprenticeships do, and they count as a job in my opinion.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I respectfully disagree. Some apprenticeships do, and they count as a job in my opinion.
Link to proof please ... and I don't think the OP id looking at an apprenticeship ...
CletusPotter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Link to proof please ... and I don't think the OP id looking at an apprenticeship ...
Here: https://g.co/kgs/5LeX6U

I know but I'm speaking hypothetically really.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some schools don't even make their pupils do 9 GCSEs though? In some schools you might only do 8 GCSEs or less so how can employers expect you to have 9 or more GCSEs? Most schools make their pupils do 8-12 GCSEs...
Edit: nevermind
Last edited by 1st superstar; 1 month ago
CletusPotter
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Some schools don't even make their pupils do 9 GCSEs though? In some schools you might only do 8 GCSEs or less so how can employers expect you to have 9 or more GCSEs? Most schools make their pupils do 8-12 GCSEs...
Edit: nevermind
I know you said never mind, but I think you forgot that they will (most likely) count Short Course RE as a full GCSE. Doing the Full Course GCSE RE helps nevertheless.
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know you said never mind, but I think you forgot that they will (most likely) count Short Course RE as a full GCSE. Doing the Full Course GCSE RE helps nevertheless.
Either not every school makes their pupils do 9+ GCSEs
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Here: https://g.co/kgs/5LeX6U

I know but I'm speaking hypothetically really.
That cannot be current as the grades are wrong ... no level 3 course actually needs 9 GCSEs.
Plaguedbyfoibles
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think we need more information to better tailor our advice.

What exactly are you looking to do at the moment? Are you looking to better educate yourself just for the benefits of having a good education, are you looking to improve career prospects, are you looking to progress to university or an apprenticeship etc.?

Are you currently working or doing anything else?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (67)
14.69%
I'm not sure (16)
3.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (154)
33.77%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.75%
I'm not a current university student (211)
46.27%

Watched Threads