I'm stuck /:Can I take Autumn GCSEs along A-Levels?

Watch
tia.mallinder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm looking to apply to Med School, but without a 6 in English Language and Maths my Uni options are restricted to 3. Taking English Lang would give me 1 other Uni to create the 4 max I'm allowed to apply to, and Eng Lang with Maths would open even more options. My grades given were 5 Eng and Maths (class of 2020). The GCSE exams would be beginning of November, and I start A-Levels in September.

I'm worried thats studying for those GCSEs would compromise my A-Levels, is it manageable?
Matt978
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by tia.mallinder)
I'm looking to apply to Med School, but without a 6 in English Language and Maths my Uni options are restricted to 3. Taking English Lang would give me 1 other Uni to create the 4 max I'm allowed to apply to, and Eng Lang with Maths would open even more options. My grades given were 5 Eng and Maths (class of 2020). The GCSE exams would be beginning of November, and I start A-Levels in September.

I'm worried thats studying for those GCSEs would compromise my A-Levels, is it manageable?
I got a 5 in English Language last year which was a shock at first as it was considerably lower than what I was predicted to get. I reset it in November and managed to get a 6. I found it okay to manage as I did most of the work for it over the half term. I don't think it affected my A levels as it is for such a short period of time that you have to focus on the resits rather than A Level work.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Have you spent time during lockdown working on these subjects? If yes, it should certainly be manageable, as it should be a case of just keeping all the content fresh in your mind rather than having to relearn material.

Whatever the case, if you're going to take the GCSE exams, the best thing to do would be to make sure you have all your revision resources prepared now before you go back to school in September, and then you can simply use these resources in the lead-up to the exams alongside doing your A-level work.
tia.mallinder
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
Have you spent time during lockdown working on these subjects? If yes, it should certainly be manageable, as it should be a case of just keeping all the content fresh in your mind rather than having to relearn material.

Whatever the case, if you're going to take the GCSE exams, the best thing to do would be to make sure you have all your revision resources prepared now before you go back to school in September, and then you can simply use these resources in the lead-up to the exams alongside doing your A-level work.
I wasn't planning to retake at that point, so really the last time I did GCSE content was in March before lockdown. However I've made the decision to take Physics instead of Psychology in A-Levels meaning I can use Cambridge as my 4th uni (they don't look at GCSEs, only as indicators). I'd rather have my full attention on starting A-Levels instead of juggling 5 subjects. Took a lot of thought, hopefully my sixth form approves my subject change. Thank you for the reply and input though (:
Silxnt1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Since you're only starting A Levels, it should be significantly easier to manage with extra (GCSE) revision than if you were, hypothetically, in the same situation in Year 13; which involves learning noticeably harder content (which would generally take longer to revise).

Around early Year 13, I had to balance my BMAT (BioMedical Aptitude Test) revision with learning new A2 content (and having to do extra homework/tasks set by my teachers). What I did, which helped spare me extra time to revise for the BMAT, was explain my situation and to one of my subject teachers and ask them to give me an extension for the (lengthy) tasks we had to complete by a a certain date (close to my BMAT exam date). The teacher understood my situation and gave me an extension for the tasks, which helped relieve me from a lot of stress and allow me extra time to revise for the BMAT. I would suggest you do the same and speak to your teacher(s) explaining your situation to them, especially if you start to feel that the work load becomes hard to deal with, and they will most likely understand your situation (especially if you mention the stress, if any, it puts on you) and probably give you an extension or exception for having to complete any homework/tasks.

That's just some extra advice, but, with regards to your question, I think it's manageable to revise the content at the start of your A Levels, alongside your extra (GCSE) revision - however you might have to sacrifice slightly more of your free time until you've got the exams out of the way.
Last edited by Silxnt1; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.13%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (384)
29.34%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.2%

Watched Threads