MML interviews Watch

This discussion is closed.
Richy Rich$$
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i was just wondering how other peoples MML interviews went at Cambridge, What colleges people have applied to and what kind of questions they asked?
gringalet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I applied to Trinity for German and Modern Greek. I haven't really got an opinion of the interviews, although I veer towards the pessimistic. Role on rejection letter, I say! I said some really strange things, and can think of so much stuff I could have said instead of it!

The questions tended to be on language issues (kind of to be expected, I suppose!): "What do you think about the French institution for keeping the language 'pure'?; "What can you see changing in English nowadays?"; "Does English have cases?"; "Why do you think Greek and German have such developed/complicated case systems while other languages don't?". Other stuff was related to books I'd read, especially in my Modern Greek interview. Can't remember any exact questions from it, really...umm..."What sort of a role might Nietzsche play in 'Zorba The Greek'?"..."What do you think Kafka might be trying to tell us in 'Das Urteil'?" (at which I panicked and muttered some right crap!). In my German interview we discussed a passage with sort of questions like "What do you think it's about?"; "What words give this sense of speed?". Can't remember much else from it, sorry!
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Some of French Q's were like that, i got the one about "do you think the academie has any power in controlling the language and thnigs like why does German have cases and French doesnt. Where else have you applied to, any offer?
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Which college did you apply to?

The only other place I've applied to is KCL, for JH German and Modern Greek, because, quite simply, it was the only place I could! Modern Greek isn't the most popular language ever... Haven't heard anything from them. I think I'd have to go for interview there too, which is annoying. Ah well.
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Clare College, its really pretty.
miffmeister
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
going insane with the wait now, especially as a friend got an offer from oxford this morning good luck to all the MML applicants (apart from the ones applying to Trinity Hall *joking* !)
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
(Original post by miffmeister)
going insane with the wait now, especially as a friend got an offer from oxford this morning good luck to all the MML applicants (apart from the ones applying to Trinity Hall *joking* !)

What languages are you doing , what college
miffmeister
Report 14 years ago
spanish and italian at trinity hall
spurs123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I feel that the government should take in on themselves to actively help oxbdige increase their language spaces.

We are so bloody useless when it comes to foreign languages and in all honesty we need to do something about it.

When all the people from exchange trips come over to school theri grasp of English is so much better than our grasp of their language...it is actually q.embarassing
miffmeister
Report 14 years ago
they should introduce it pretty damn quick so WE can all benefit from it!! :p: does anyone know when cambridge actually send out the letters? sorry if this is already on another thread, but do the colleges all do it at the same time?
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
i am not completely sure, but people have said they will send out letter on the 30th Dec at the earliest and everyone should receive a decision by 4th JAN
miffmeister
Report 14 years ago
:eek: that's ages!
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
i no, it's gonna be an angoising Xmas
miffmeister
Report 14 years ago
hibernation until january, then
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm not actually thinking about it that much...is there something horribly wrong with me?!
Richy Rich$$
Rep:
?
Did u all have to take the MML test, a text about popular culture and tribal societies. It was really hard!
priya
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
aww yey so many mml applicants! woo! don't stress about it guys, like richy rich said u will get a decision by the end of the first week of january, if not earlier. just think about how mad u'll want to go at new years, and focus on that/the hangover to take ur mind off things
miffmeister
Report 14 years ago
i had a written test, but it was on an extract from a bill bryson book... all about weird quirky british eccentricities
Lottie
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by gringalet)
The only other place I've applied to is KCL, for JH German and Modern Greek, because, quite simply, it was the only place I could!
That's interesting! I thought there would be more than two! I was under the impression you could study that combination at the University of Birmingham though.

However, I think that the limited number of places offering Modern Greek (with German) will make your qualification all the more desirable in the end.

I can't say I know much about Modern Greek but it certainly sounds like a fascinating language to learn.
gringalet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lottie)
That's interesting! I thought there would be more than two! I was under the impression you could study that combination at the University of Birmingham though.

However, I think that the limited number of places offering Modern Greek (with German) will make your qualification all the more desirable in the end.

I can't say I know much about Modern Greek but it certainly sounds like a fascinating language to learn.
You can study Modern Greek at five British universities: Queen's Belfast, Birmingham, KCL, Oxford and Cambridge. Queen's Belfast don't offer it with German, and Birmingham just decided for some reason not to offer it this year I don't think they're offering it in any combination at all this year – I emailed and asked about it with German, and Modern Greek just isn't on on the UCAS site for Birmingham, I don't think. I was rather annoyed, as you can imagine!

Modern Greek is fascinating: the literature is so interesting and varied, particularly the poetry which has produced two Nobel prize winners, and Greece has had such a complicated, and so intriguing history since the much-glorified Ancient times. I suppose if you know Classical Greek, the historical side of the language would be really interesting too. Sadly, it's all rather overlooked! I haven't met one modern philhellene ever, whether in the flesh or online. Go on, apply for it

Edit: I actually could have applied for the Modern Languages degree at Birmingham and would have been able to study Modern Greek through that, but the degree focuses more on actual language learning than the things I'm interested in – namely German linguistic stuff, and Greek literature. So, I didn't!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1333)
79.68%
Leave (340)
20.32%

Watched Threads