The Student Room Group

Could I do work experience in France in October?

Okay, here's the situation.

I was supposed to go to France in March to do work experience in a cafe for a week in March but it was cancelled because of lockdown
I was supposed to go to France yesterday doing voluntary Christian work but there is a global pandemic happening

My work experience trip was all arranged by school so flights etc weren't an issue. My Christian work was arranged by me so when my flight was cancelled by British Airways, they didn't refund me but gave me a travel voucher

At first I was like, "No, I want my money back and under the consumer rights act you have to give it to me" but they were like "well once you have received a travel voucher you can't get your money back."

The voucher is worth £60 so I could easily fly to France and back for a week at some point before A Levels and get a week (or two because October half term at my school is two weeks long) and do all the French speaking that I missed out on.

I have friends in Bordeaux, Paris and Carcassonne.

Do you reckon that it will be possible to go stay with them and get work expereince?
What sort of work experience is easiest to get? Radio station? Lawyer's office? Cafe? Shop or supermarket? School?

What do you think?
Reply 1
I wouldn't plan on doing any kind of travel abroad at the moment. The Government is advising against non-essential travel to France and it's currently a 14-day quarantine if you return to the UK from there, so you'd end up having time off school after your half-term; you wouldn't be allowed out anywhere, even to exercise. Yes, the quarantine rule could change in a few weeks, but equally it could change back very quickly and leave you stuck. And what about the risk to anyone you live with?
Reply 2
How long is your voucher valid for? If it is valid for 12 months, I would save it for a trip next year when things are more certain.
Original post by Kerzen
How long is your voucher valid for? If it is valid for 12 months, I would save it for a trip next year when things are more certain.

I think British Airways said it's valid until 2023 or something. So I have a while to use it but I thought I would get some travel in before A Levels to practice french speaking and get back the time I was supposed to spend in france
Original post by GillisRobbieWGS
Okay, here's the situation.

I was supposed to go to France in March to do work experience in a cafe for a week in March but it was cancelled because of lockdown
I was supposed to go to France yesterday doing voluntary Christian work but there is a global pandemic happening

My work experience trip was all arranged by school so flights etc weren't an issue. My Christian work was arranged by me so when my flight was cancelled by British Airways, they didn't refund me but gave me a travel voucher

At first I was like, "No, I want my money back and under the consumer rights act you have to give it to me" but they were like "well once you have received a travel voucher you can't get your money back."

The voucher is worth £60 so I could easily fly to France and back for a week at some point before A Levels and get a week (or two because October half term at my school is two weeks long) and do all the French speaking that I missed out on.

Do you reckon that it will be possible to go stay with them and get work expereince?
What sort of work experience is easiest to get? Radio station? Lawyer's office? Cafe? Shop or supermarket? School?

What do you think?

Get work experience here to be safer. Not worth the risk to yourself or others to travel.
Reply 5
I think British Airways said it's valid until 2023 or something. So I have a while to use it but I thought I would get some travel in before A Levels to practice french speaking and get back the time I was supposed to spend in france

I don't think that spending a week in France will really make a difference to the outcome in French A Level, to be honest. (I have French at A Level).

There are French speaking organisations in London - if you wished, you could write to one of them and ask whether you could spend a few days with them. That way, you will get a little bit of exposure but won't have the worries you will have if you try to go to France itself.
Original post by DrawTheLine
Get work experience here to be safer. Not worth the risk to yourself or others to travel.

It's not about the work experience though. I did a lot of work experience before lockdown (solicitor's office, radio station, church leadership) It's more about the going to France and speaking french (As I say, I missed two weeks of immersion where my french would have become much stronger and I want to go to France and have that two weeks of immersion)
Original post by Kerzen
I don't think that spending a week in France will really make a difference to the outcome in French A Level, to be honest. (I have French at A Level).

There are French speaking organisations in London - if you wished, you could write to one of them and ask whether you could spend a few days with them. That way, you will get a little bit of exposure but won't have the worries you will have if you try to go to France itself.

Do you know the names of any of these organisations?
Could you send me the link to their website?

Did you agree to accept a voucher? If not, tell them clearly that you never agreed to a voucher, and to refund the money immediately. If they don't, make a formal complaint. They don't get to decide how to refund it - you do.

What do you think?

I wouldn't plan any travel until at least next summer. Even that could be optimistic. You risk having to quarantine, potentially twice.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
You can immerse yourself in the language much more easily, though. Here you go:

https://europe.tv5monde.com/en/live

https://www.franceinter.fr/

These are better ways of developing your French at your level, to be honest.
Reply 10
Do you know the names of any of these organisations?
Could you send me the link to their website?

https://www.egliseprotestantelondres.org.uk/

https://www.institut-francais.org.uk/

https://www.societegenerale.co.uk/en/one-bank-street/
Reply 11
It's not about the work experience though. I did a lot of work experience before lockdown (solicitor's office, radio station, church leadership) It's more about the going to France and speaking french (As I say, I missed two weeks of immersion where my french would have become much stronger and I want to go to France and have that two weeks of immersion)

If your friends are native French speakers, get them on the phone or Facetime for some conversations!
I don't want to undermine your plan but working in a cafe for one week will really not make any difference. The only things you'll be learning will be food orders and very short conversations with the other waiters, nothing of value. It would also be practically impossible to get work experience at any establishment of value such as a law firm or radio station. If they are even looking for people to take on for work experience, they will be looking for French high school/university students, I imagine, who will be able to speak the language natively and therefore won't cause any communication issues in a high-tension work environment. Also the travel issues will pose many complications.

That being said, you can easily immerse yourself in the language using the links people above have so kindly provided. Once your A Levels are over I imagine that travel restrictions will be lifted and it will be very easy for your to go to France and spend you summer there to completely immerse yourself in the language. I would recommend doing an au pair program which will allow you to engage in quite advanced conversations that will really help you. Once you finish the summer you'll undoubtedly be speaking confidently. I could also suggest that you go with you French friends on holiday and stay with them. Just make sure you stay longer than a week and it will be perfect!

Quick Reply

Latest