Are my gcses good enough for KCL, Nottingham, Cambridge, UCL, Manchester

Watch
Mytek
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I got my results a few days ago for gcse and they weren’t very good and I feel as though they will disadvantage me because of im thinking of applying to top unis as I want to work in a magic circle firm one day

Art 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 5
English 5 (considering resitting)
Literature 4
History 5
Maths 4 (will resit)
Physics 5
RE 2
gtty123
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The 2 might hinder you.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Focus on your alevels, they dont tend to focus overly much on gcses if you excel there.
Although it does rather depend on the course and how over subscribed it is.
Mytek
Rep:
?
I’m wanting to do law
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mytek)
I’m wanting to do law
From my experience, my friend got rejected to do Law at both Nottingham and Manchester because he had a 3 in History. But, that's not to say that might happen to you.
bored_user:)
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
For Law, UCL, KCL and Cambridge are more than 90% likely to not let you in considering your GCSE grades and especially that 2 which you MUST declare!

However Manchester and Nottingham might be forgiving if your AS grades are good and if you have a good personal statement, work experience and reference! Good luck!

I got similar GCSEs (everything 4 and above ranging from a 4 to an A*) but I got into Kings (not for Law, which is more competitive but for Physics)
Arisapo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
What are you hoping to take at A-Level?

Those grades aren't the most competitive, and having one 2 looks terrible, while you should definitely resit the English as well. If you only managed a 5 in English, that doesn't bode well for Law, as it requires an analytical style. Same with the 4 for Literature.

Do you think you'd be able to hack Law at such a competitive university; I'm not trying to be harsh or put you off, but just offer some realism and something to think about.
charles brandeis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I got very similar grades,i am also hoping to study law, are you saying with these grades you can determine if someone is good enough for law?

biblical Hebrew - 5

lang -5
lit -5
math -5
business -6
chem -3
physics -3
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by charles brandeis)
I got very similar grades,i am also hoping to study law, are you saying with these grades you can determine if someone is good enough for law?

biblical Hebrew - 5

lang -5
lit -5
math -5
business -6
chem -3
physics -3
There aren't set "these grades are good enough/not good enough for Law" - most applications are considered individually, although your grades aren't very competitive. You've basically got one grade that's a B, and that's in business. It doesn't bode well if you want to go to a competitive university. You've effectively got a selection of Cs and Ds and you want to try and attend one of the top unis for a tough degree?
Mytek
Rep:
?
(Original post by Arisapo)
What are you hoping to take at A-Level?

Those grades aren't the most competitive, and having one 2 looks terrible, while you should definitely resit the English as well. If you only managed a 5 in English, that doesn't bode well for Law, as it requires an analytical style. Same with the 4 for Literature.

Do you think you'd be able to hack Law at such a competitive university; I'm not trying to be harsh or put you off, but just offer some realism and something to think about.
I think I can do law deffo, I was disadvantaged greatly due to corona and my grades were really downgraded I was getting 7s and 8s at self assessments and little tests in school it’s really **** that I got those grades but I am thinking of re sitting both the English’s, maths and RE. For a levels I’m doing history English language and psychology
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mytek)
I got my results a few days ago for gcse and they weren’t very good and I feel as though they will disadvantage me because of im thinking of applying to top unis as I want to work in a magic circle firm one day

Art 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 5
Literature 4
History 5
Maths 4 (will resit)
Physics 5
RE 2
Your A-Levels will be more important to the Uni's that you have mentioned, so focus on those. I'm not sure how much focus any Uni will put on this year's GCSE results considering the unique circumstances anyway. It's a little uncertain at the moment.
royalty1702
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mytek)

Art 6
Biology 6
Chemistry 5
Literature 4
History 5
Maths 4 (will resit)
Physics 5
RE 2
cambridge will be tricky as you will be competing with people with 10 9s/8s
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mytek)
I think I can do law deffo, I was disadvantaged greatly due to corona and my grades were really downgraded I was getting 7s and 8s at self assessments and little tests in school it’s really **** that I got those grades but I am thinking of re sitting both the English’s, maths and RE. For a levels I’m doing history English language and psychology
Fair enough, but you've got to remember that unis will see these grades and those are your set ones. Could you consider resitting a few more as having a 7 in Literature say compared to a 4 is a huge difference.
gtty123
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Mytek)
No offence, but it'd help greatly to have the correct grammar and spelling.
charles brandeis
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i dont think its very fair to judge on this years GCSES
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i dont think its very fair to judge on this years GCSES
That's true, but you can say the same for A-Levels. They're still your grades, and you have the option to resit them if you wish. You can't go to an employer and say "I know I got a 5 but would have got a 9 if I sat it".
charles brandeis
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No one is saying they would have gotten a 9, all people, myself inclusive are saying we could have done better. To resit them is not an option, as i want to put all my time towards my A level, so at least i can prove everyone what i could HAVE gotten!
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No one is saying they would have gotten a 9, all people, myself inclusive are saying we could have done better. To resit them is not an option, as i want to put all my time towards my A level, so at least i can prove everyone what i could HAVE gotten!
GCSEs don't matter too much in the long run anyway, but you'll still be judged on the grades you were given this year I'm afraid, fair or not.
charles brandeis
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Arisapo)
GCSEs don't matter too much in the long run anyway, but you'll still be judged on the grades you were given this year I'm afraid, fair or not.
A levels override!
Arisapo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A levels override!
Well of course they do, which is why I said GCSEs don't matter too much in the long run? But the point still stands: the grades you've got are the grades you've got, and I doubt they'll be viewed differently because of the circumstances. You'll declare what you have.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (34)
16.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (61)
29.9%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (78)
38.24%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.75%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise